GYPSY CURIOSA
{{gwi:1198895}}

GINGERBREAD MAN mini
{{gwi:1198896}}

GINGER HILL
{{gwi:244274}}

GRACIE ALLEN
{{gwi:1198897}}

GRAND IMPRESSION - a little bug-eaten but still pretty.... not a great bloomer...
{{gwi:1198898}}

GAIL
{{gwi:1198899}}

GENTLE HERMIONE
{{gwi:1198900}}

GINA LOLLOBRIGIDA
{{gwi:1198901}}

GENE BOERNER
{{gwi:214266}}

GILBERT BECAUD
{{gwi:348232}}

GYPSY LANTERN
{{gwi:1198904}}

GEMINI

GINGER ROGERS

GOLDEN MONICA
{{gwi:348233}}

GOLDEN FREELANDER

GOOD MORNING

GIRL'S NIGHT OUT

GEISHA

GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY

GENTLE GIANT
{{gwi:350306}}

GUY SAVOY

GRIMALDI
{{gwi:284328}}

GRAND AMORE

GARDEN SUN CL

GREY PEARL

Comments (45)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Oh good--The "G" roses--couple of pics here that I don't usually get to show off.

Gourmet Popcorn--cute mini and good disease-resistance-- should be even better in its new spot in the garden.

Gypsy Carnival (HT)--three-quarters view/yellow reverses of this beauty.

Gypsy Carnival--fully opened. Most beautiful blooms, but wimpiest plant you've ever seen and my one disease-magnet in my garden. But gosh--those beautiful blooms!

Green Ice--another white mini. This one is a sprawler. Wish I had a better picture to show its charms.

Golden Showers-this lovely rambler was a recent victim of RRD. It had been growing in my garden for about 15 years.

Hope you enjoyed those. Beth, I love your Ginger Hill--so delicate and pure. Gemini is nice also.

Kate

• sara_ann-z6bok
    10 years ago

Beth - What a great group of G roses. My favorites are -

Great Scott (I've always wanted that one)
    Gypsy Curiosa
    Ginger Hill
    Gail
    Gina Lollobrigida
    Gene Boerner
    Golden Monica
    Golden Freelander
    Good Morning
    Girls Night Out (Been considering that one)
    Grande Amore
    Garden Sun Cl.

Kate - I really like your G roses.
    Gourmet Popcorn is adorable and Gypsy Carnival is really impressive. Your Golden Showers was so lovely.

I feel like I am cheating a little on this one, because this is not a 100 percent positive ID. It was supposed to be a Marijke Koopman, but was obviously mislabeled. So with a little bit of help, I think it might be GRANADA. Still not positive though. It is my only "maybe" G rose.

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    10 years ago

I no longer have this rose, but here's Gemini.

Sara-Ann, I have adored Granada for years. What a gorgeous rose.

Beth, Gentle Giant is gorgeous and Gracie Allen is so pretty and so unique looking.

Kate, Gypsy Carnival is stunning!

Lynn

This post was edited by desertgarden561 on Sun, Jan 19, 14 at 16:55

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

Beth, Gingerbread Man and Geisha are just precious! And that Grey Pearl is stunning.
    Sara Ann, Gorgeous picture of your rose whether or not itâÂÂs Granada!
    Kate, Love your Gypsy Carnival, but am really smitten with that Green Ice
    Desert Garden, Gemini is beautiful. ThatâÂÂs one IâÂÂve never grown, but have always wanted to try.

I only have a few GâÂÂs, but they are some of my all-time favorites:
    Grand Dame

George Burns

Gina Lollobrigida

Gruss an Aachen

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Sara--whatever the name, that is a lovely rose.

Pat--that Grande Dame is gorgeous! For that matter, so is George Burns--but is it the rose or the picture? I've seen other pics of Georgie that I didn't like that well. Having never seen it in real life, I can't say.

Kate

• sara_ann-z6bok
    10 years ago

Desertgarden - The color really comes through on your Gemini, love it. Pat - Your Grand Dame, Gina L and Gruss an Aachen are just gorgeous. Your George Burns is the prettiest picture I've seen of it. I'm having a hard time liking the stripes, but there are a few that have tempted me.

• bethnorcal9
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sara-ann, that probably is GRANADA. I have it somewhere out back in a bed that doesn't bloom much. I hope someday it will look like that! But it's probably doesn't get enough full sun.

Kate, love your GOURMET POPCORN! Everybody's pics are beautiful!

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Beth, Grey Pearl is breathtaking!!!

I love that Gypsy Carnival, Kate!

What a lovely rose, Sara!

Love the stripey George, Pat.

My "G"s

Garden Party

Golden Celebration

Golden Wings

Graham Thomas
    {{gwi:286203}}

Granada

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

Every bloom is different on George and some are prettier than others. I didn't care for him at all his first couple of years in my garden and actually considered shovel pruning him. Either the blooms improved greatly over time or I grew used to them because I do rather like him these days. He is probably the thorniest rose I grow, though.

Seil, I've never been a big fan of singles, but I've seen so many great pictures you've posted of yours, that I'm starting to fall for them. Golden Wings is a beauty! I used to grow Graham Thomas, and if mine had ever looked like yours, I'd still have him.

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

Oh my!!!
    Pat and Beth - I love the Gina Lollobridgida pictures!!! I have that rose - but not as nice of pictures. Mine doesn't have any fragrance. How about yours?

Beth
    - Ginger Hill - such soft coloring.
    - Gene Beorner - love the color and shape!
    - Gentle Giant - WOW!
    - Grey Pearl - so surprising to scroll down and see that coloring. Very striking!
    - Ginger Rogers - stunner!

Kate
    - Gypsy Carnival - love the sideways shot! You can actually see green at the base of the petals! How pretty!

Sara-Ann
    - Granada - what a gorgeous shot!!

Lynn
    - Gemini is so mutable! I love how dark and ruffled yours is.

Pat
    - Grand Dame - I'm getting this one this spring!! Yours has so many gorgeous flowers. Yay!
    - Gruss - soooo pretty!

Seil
    - Golden Celebration - I love the placement of the flowers in the picture - just immersed in all of that green.
    - Granada - what color!!!

Here is my Gina Lollobrigida

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

Here is Grace.
    Carol

• sara_ann-z6bok
    10 years ago

Seil - I agree with what Pat said about Golden Wings, it's beautiful. Your Garden Party is just dreamy. They are all lovely, as usual.

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

Here's a more open bloom of Gina Lollobrigida.
    Carol

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

Here's a picture of Gemini in the cold of early June. Very dark.
    Carol

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

Here's a more open one next to my dirty hand. :)
    Carol

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

Here is a bush shot of Gemini.
    Carol

• sara_ann-z6bok
    10 years ago

Carol - Your Gina Lollobrigida is gorgeous! I love them all.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

All the Ginas are gorgeous!

Seil, I like all those photos, but your one of Garden Party makes me wish I had got one of those instead of the white HT (Memoire) that I ended up buying. I'm actually having flitting thoughts of spading Memoire so I can put in a Garden Party--so to save my back, tell me that Garden Party has lots of BS problems and therefore I don't really want to plant one in my garden--OK?

Kate

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    10 years ago

I only have a few that haven't been posted yet, mostly old roses.

Grandmother's Hat

10 years ago

Posting this here instead of S...

Souvenir de Francois Gaulain

10 years ago

General Schablikine

10 years ago

Geranium Red

10 years ago

Grand Old Opry (mini)

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

Brittie - Your General is SUMPTUOUS!!!!! Wow!!! Now that's A ROSE!!! I love the color too.

Souvenir de Francois Gaulain is gorgeous too!! I love the color!!

I think I remember reading on this forum that Grandmother's Hat has a great perfume. Is that true?

Carol

• inga007
    10 years ago

Ohhh, Ahhhhh.
    Thank you all for the lovely rose photos.

• titian1 10b Sydney
    10 years ago

Beautiful photos.

Pat, what a great photo of Grande Dame. When I look at it I can almost feel the air of a fresh spring morning on my skin.

Trish.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone!

Kate, being one of those older 50's HTs GP does tend to spot but what I've found is that there is a reason some of them are still around and popular. It's so vigorous it usually just shrugs it off and keeps on blooming!

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

Thanks Titan1, Grand Dame is one of my favorites...a very good rose here. Carol, you're going to need a large pot for her...she's a very big girl :)

• iris_gal
    10 years ago

I wasn't going to comment since there are so many that piqued my lust button. But honestly ...........

Geranium Red !!!!!!

• bethnorcal9
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh boy, I knew I shoulda ordered that GRAND OLD OPRY!

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Oh, gee, the G's have got me.
    Little Gingerbread is so gosh darn sweet, Beth. He does fit his name. And appealing is the soft pink center and frills of Ginger Hill. There is more charm in the pretty two toned ruffles of Gail. I think my favorite, though, is Gentle Giant with its rich colors. Wouldn't Grey Pearl look good surrounded with some deep wine reds? I'd like to try growing GP.
    Kate, you are so right. That Gypsy Carnival is a stunner. I'm sorry you lost Golden Showers after such a long time.
    Sara-Ann, Granada or not, it's perfectly beautiful.
    Lynn, your Gemini blooms are most impressive. Will you be growing it again?
    You have a stunning collection of colors in these roses, Pat. I'm rarely taken with a stripey, but your George Burns is an exception. I think it's just the right color combo that does it. Your photo of Gruss is an exquisite portrait of her.
    Mmm, seil, love that shot of the ethereal Golden Wings. You do know how to photograph those singles. And Granada is another of those frameable photos--the colors are so full of light.
    Oh, that scrumptious Grace you have, Carol. It's an Austin, right? Boy, Gemini does change a lot. Love your huge looking two toned version.
    Brittie, your Grandmother's Hat is charming. The bloom fits the name perfectly. Little Grand Old Opry is just plain old adorable, too.
    Thanks for all the extraordinary G's. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

My lone contribution to the G's proves, I think, that being a dependable workhorse doesn't mean you can't be pretty, too. Here's Golden Celebration. Diane

• Curdle 10a (Australia)
    10 years ago

Another State Garden pic..

Gold'N Fancy

I have a couple more, but havent uploaded them yet..

• Curdle 10a (Australia)
    10 years ago

This ones Golden Celebration from a display at the Renmark Rose festival "roses through the ages" - looks just like a painting, doesnt it?

Gloire de Dijon from Rushton's gardens

Golden Holstein

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

That GC arrangement is spectacular, Curdle! I tried to use it in an arrangement at last year's show and it was so hard to arrange because of the nodding necks!

10 years ago

Carol, I missed your question about Grandmother's Hat. It IS pretty fragrant. Very fresh smelling as I recall.

There are so many in this thread that have really piqued my interest. Gina Lollobrigida is very nice looking (have to hmf that one), and the color of Grey Pearl is just crazy. I wish I had the space for some of the bigger ones, but they really become monsters here.

• iris_gal
    10 years ago

Forgot I had these. Gemini is so ..... o_r_a_n_g_e .... here. I was expecting a much softer color. Her form is impeccable..
    Also want to alert you to what I discovered is happening to photos posted here that are less than 640 pixels in width. They get widened to 640.
    And if they are over that width, yup, get reduced to fit that number.

Gemini - Zary'99

• iris_gal
    10 years ago

Oops, Gemini was introduced in '99.

Bred by Zary in '91.

• bethnorcal9
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow Irisgal those are some gorgeous photos of GEMINI!

• romanpot
    10 years ago

Here is a bowl of Gertrude Jekyll flowers. The rose has a wonderful strong scent.

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

Wow!!! That bowl of Gerties is amazing!!! So beautiful as only a pink can be (to me)

Irisgal - those Gemini pictures are gorgeous!!! Loveliest pics of Gemini I've ever seen!!!! So soft looking - not in color but in shape. Wow!

Curdle - yeah, that Golden Celebration spray in unbelievable!!

Nanadoll - Love your shot of Golden Celebration! Such a rose!!! And yes, Grace is an Austin. Lovely rose - but so far no scent. Plus there seems to be a long wait between flushes. But when it flushes - it has a whole bunch of them.

Carol

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Iris, that's gorgeous! I don't think I've ever seen a Gemini with so much color!

The GJ bowl is spectacular!

• kittymoonbeam
    10 years ago

George Burns from the Huntington

• neptune44
    10 years ago

My only G rose:
    Grafin Bettina Bernadotte

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    10 years ago

There are many highly treasurable pictures in the above groups. I will add some of my "G" roses also. First is a bloom of Graham Thomas.

Next is a shot of Golden Zest.

A rare, nice flower off of Grafin Sonja.

A whole-bush shot of Goldmarie.

A most-of-the-bush shot of General Jacqueminot.

The new one, Good As Gold.

{{gwi:230483}}

A bloom off the quite variable in color Gemini.

{{gwi:214767}}

A single bloom off of Golden Holstein.

A couple from General Cavaignac.

Lastly, and not the best picture, but one of the few that I have of Glacier.

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative General Contractors