Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
the_dark_lady

Roses "F"

the_dark_lady
11 years ago

Very cold outside, can not work in the garden... Finished a small painting project in the house... What else to do?
Oh! Post some more pictures!!! :)))

Here we go, a few of my F's:

Falstaff

Fara Shimbo
{{gwi:1204634}}

Fisherman's Friend

Florence Delattre
{{gwi:1204635}}

Four Inch Heels

Francine Austin

Francis Blaise

Froufroutante Jackie

Furstin von Pless

And this is my little paint project - painted gingham design on the wall

{{gwi:1199123}}

This post was edited by the_dark_lady on Thu, Jan 3, 13 at 13:42

Comments (30)

• onederw
    11 years ago

Oooh Marina --
    If my Falstaff had EVER looked that good, he'd still be in the garden, instead of sleeping with the shovels.

Kay

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

Darn it--I came up empty-handed in the "F" category!

Just love your dark reds, dark lady. Austin is especially good with those! But I did have to laugh at a dark red rose called "4 inch heels"! LOL

What is the rose 4th from the end of the rose pics? I like it.

And I really like your design for that corner of the room. Such a design would never occur to me, but it looks terrific when I see how you did it.

I checked photobucket again--the only "F" in my garden is my "Fairy" statue--but she is kinda cute with those purple pansies. Sorry, that was the best I could do. : (

Kate

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Kay and Kate!

Kate, the fourth from the end is Froufroutante Jackie by Dominique Massad. I received it as a rooted cutting from a friend couple of years ago. Very nice rose, great bloomer!

Marina

Here is a link that might be useful: Froufroutante Jackie on HMF

This post was edited by the_dark_lady on Thu, Jan 3, 13 at 18:21

• lesmc
    11 years ago

I am SO enjoying the alphabet gallery! It is cold, damp and dreary here so these pictures are a joy! There are many roses I have never seen, so I am learning so much. Mostly....I don`t have enough room in my garden!! I would love to add some of these to my garden. The Froufroutante Jackie is especially beautiful. Marina, you must have every Austin! Your collection is outstanding. I would just love to walk your garden some day!! I thank everyone who has taken the time to share their roses with us. Yip-eeee!!

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    11 years ago

Oh, this F category is loaded with some of my favorite colors--purples, dark reds, and lavender. Love them all, and am curious about that name "Four Inch Heels"--sounds risque. Each rose is delightful in its own way. Thanks, Marina, for posting these photos.
    Kate, your fairy statue is just exquisite. I really lack quality garden statuary, as well as the space to put it, so it's nice to see what someone has in place in her garden. Thanks for sharing. Diane

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

Phew! Can't keep up they're posting so fast, lol! Beautiful roses and pics everyone! Love the paint job, Marina!

Falling in Love

First and Foremost

Focal Point

Folklore

Fortune Cookie

Frankly Scarlet, soon to be a goner. Only bloom it had all year.

Fragrant Cloud

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    11 years ago

Here is my lone F rose and one of my favorites: Frederic Mistral, with photography done by Clare, my granddaughter. Thanks for looking. Diane

Frederic Mistral

Frederic Mistral

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    11 years ago

We're going so fast I missed your roses, seil. Your Falling in Love looks just like porcelain--beautiful. So sorry about Frankly Scarlet--you mean she has no more "tomorrows"? Thanks for posting your lovely photos. Diane

• inga007
    11 years ago

Thank you for posting all these new and old rose photos I save all for my slide show, I like to view during the more "lean" times

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

I always like your "blends," seil. Focal Point being a case in point. Lovely.

Nana, Frederic Mistral is one of those roses I always say I must investigate further--then I never do. For which I'm sorry--what a lovely full-bodied bloom!

Kate

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

Guess what--I found one more "F" rose in my files: Fru Dagmar Hastrup (rugosa rose). Don't really have a good picture of it--this spring will be its third year, so I'm hoping it finally really takes off. In the meantime, I love those wrinkly rugosa leaves.

Fru Dagmar Hastrup (rugosa)--as a youngster in my garden.
    {{gwi:215443}}

Hope I can show a big one by next summer!

Kate

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

Thanks, Kate! I like your Fru Dagmar too! I've looked at getting that one a couple of times.

• bethnorcal9
    11 years ago

Trying frantically to catch up with youz guys!! LOL

Marina I LOVE that darn FLORENCE D, and FROUFROU JACKIE is to-die-for!! Yummy! And that is NO "little" paint project you did! Beautiful job!!

Seil, your minis are so beautiful! Well, the big ones too!!!

Kate, nice baby FRAU DAGMAR! I'm sure in the coming season we'll see a big difference in her.

Here's what I have for now:

FASCINATION - my baby that came back from the brink of death.
    {{gwi:1199134}}

FRAGRANT PLUM
    {{gwi:285369}}

FRED HOWARD
    {{gwi:1199136}}

FIRST ENTERPRISE
    {{gwi:1199137}}

FUSHIMI
    {{gwi:1199138}}

FRIVOLOUS PINK
    {{gwi:1199140}}

FLAMING PEACE
    {{gwi:236593}}

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    11 years ago

I'm trying to get caught up, too, Beth, and you've just added some gorgeous (new to me) roses, such as Fascination--glad it's alive to show its subtle color. Flaming Peace really wows me with its color, and it looks so velvety to me. I love it, and will have to look that one up. Thank you all for posting. We still have lots of letters to go. Diane

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Beth, I am with Diane - your Flaming Peace is so gorgeous! Love the velvety petals and yellow reverse.

• caflowerluver
    11 years ago

Here are my "F" roses.
    Clare

French Lace

Felcite et Perpetue

• erasmus_gw
    11 years ago

I love Froufroutante, and Nanodoll, the arrangement is beautiful. Here's my seedling, Fran's Piroutte , which I named for my mother who liked to dance.

• caflowerluver
    11 years ago

Close up of French Lace.

• caflowerluver
    11 years ago

And Fair Bianca.

• harborrose_pnw
    11 years ago

F's - to your beautiful flowers, I can add Felicia

Faith Whittlesey

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

Some great new ones here! Erasmus, your seedling is fabulous!

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

Erasmus, I just love your seedling Fran's Piroutte. You must show us more pics next season--that one is probably new to everybody!

harbor, I do like the delicate coloring of Felicia. Same with your equisite pastel French Lace, Aptosco.

Beth's Flaming Peace strikes a completely different tone, but a good exciting one, isn't it.

Kate

• erasmus_gw
    11 years ago

Thank you Seil, and Dublin Bay. It's just an open pollinated seedling of 4th of July, but I like it. It's often a little lighter pink than the picture, and I think it's fragrant. It is vigorous, maybe a climber, thorny, has excellent rebloom, and is quite double, with about 40 petals. So far it seems to have very good bs resistance. I just got it in the ground yesterday to give it a chance to show me how it grows. Here's a picture of my mother, Fran, when she was a young ballet student. Later she studied modern dance with Martha Graham, and even later she performed in a musical at age 83! Fran was lovely and gave me her love of flowers . I have propagated this rose and think I might register it when I figure out how to do that. The Namesake of the Rose:

• lesmc
    11 years ago

Erasmus....what a lovely picture. Your mother was very elegant and I love that she is holding roses. Very beautiful. Lesley

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    11 years ago

Clare, (love your name--my granddaughter, Clare, takes my rose photos, and my father's name was Clare also), your close up of French Lace is swoonworthy, just perfection. Now I know why I've wanted that rose for years.
    Harborrose, you, too, have produced an exquisite photo in Faith Whittlesey that looks like a painting.
    erasmus, Fran's Piroutte is a wonderful tribute to your mother. Her photo certainly captures her grace. She was a beautiful lady.
    Thanks everyone for posting your photos. Diane

• harborrose_pnw
    11 years ago

What a gentle and beautiful face your mother had, Erasmus. She looks like a flower, herself. The roses I love best are tough and enduring as well as beautiful, and if your mother was dancing at 83, she must have had those characteristics as well. Thank you for telling us about her; that's quite special.

I went back and looked again at Francine Austin's photo; that type of rose is a favorite of mine. Lovely roses, all of you. Thank you.

• erasmus_gw
    11 years ago

Thank you.

• caflowerluver
    11 years ago

nanadoll - Thank you. Sometimes you get the perfect photo. My name goes back several generations too. And I always thought it was funny that it was the male spelling. Everyone always wants to put an "i" in it.
    Clare

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    11 years ago

Clare, I think the Irish and English spelling is Clare and the French is Claire. In my family, both males and females carry the name Clare--at least six of my family. Diane

• jlee160
    11 years ago

fragrant hour

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022