Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
foskey17

ron and susan z8 GA

foskey17
12 years ago

HI, ron and susan i also live in ga. About 3 hours south of atlanta. As fellow georgia rose growers I am just wondering what kind of roses grow good for you. I have been growing about 4 yrs now and have learned by trial and error ( shovel pruning a lot on the way). I have tried different types of soil and fertilizers, any suggestions on roses that grow good or how to grow them. Mine always looks sparse and not very leafy, i know i must be doing something wrong. Help

Comment (1)

• ron_and_susan
    12 years ago

If I had to Limit Myself to 8 HT roses they would start with Louise Estes, Veterans'Honor, Double Delight, Gold Medal,Moonstone, Elizabeth Taylor, Maid of Honor and last Let Freedom Ring. Susan and I have been growing roses sine the early 1980's and I have found that the best soil mix for us is the 6-4-2 method. That breaks down to 6 shovel fulls of good top soil(We buy ours from the garden center), 4 shovel fulls of peat moss and last 2 shovel fulls of mushroom compost. I also add 2 cups of mills magic rose mix(A organic mix).Then before We put this mix in the hole I add 1/2 cup of Superphosphate to bottom of hole. I hope this helps.--Ron