Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dublinbay

Roses "D"

dublinbay z6 (KS)
11 years ago

Got to post more pics to drive off the cold weather out there! Here are the "D" roses, but I don't have many, so I hope you have some to add to the list.

Double Delight (HT)-tried and true. No HT bed should be without one!
{{gwi:297471}}

Dublin Bay climber--obviously, I'm very partial to this one!
{{gwi:345168}}

Double Knockout shrub--while most people do not rave about the shape of these blooms, they do have a brief time in the beginning when they are more shapely than usual--as can be seen in this photo.

Double Knockout shrub--here is what it does best glowing out so red (color is its strong point) in a crowded bed of mixed flowers. I really like this photo--so cheerful and colorful.
{{gwi:228924}}

That's it. Now show us yours also. : )

Kate

Comments (28)

• Karolina11
    11 years ago

I have Dublin Bay ordered for Spring, can't wait until it looks like yours!

I just started my rose garden this past spring so only have one to add but I will hop on the knockout bandwagon and say I love my double red knockout!

{{gwi:215278}}
    What is not to love?

It was my puppy's favorite place to nap all summer too.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    11 years ago

Dublin Bay is a stunning climber--wish I had room to add one to my crowded garden, and you're correct, Kate about the lovely shape of the Double Knockout during the early period of the blooms' opening. Thanks for getting those D's going.
    Karolina, you are off to a great start with that gorgeous KO bloom machine. Love the sleepy little puppy, too. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    11 years ago

I'm "D" deficient, but I do have my Dainty Bess. She's a tough girl masquerading as a sweet, dainty lady. Lots of blooms all season on this one. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    11 years ago

Here's a close up of Bess. Diane

• the_dark_lady
    11 years ago

This is so much fun to share our alphabetized treasures!

Here are a few of my D's:

Dakota Sun
    {{gwi:1201064}}

Dames de Chenonceau
    {{gwi:1201066}}

Dan Poncet
    {{gwi:1201067}}

Dee Dee Bridgewater
    {{gwi:1201068}}

Dentelle
    {{gwi:1201069}}

Dieter Muller
    {{gwi:1201070}}

Dixieland Linda
    {{gwi:1201072}}

Dove
    {{gwi:1201074}}

Dr. Herbert Gray
    {{gwi:1201075}}

Dr. Jackson
    {{gwi:1201076}}

Dusky Maiden
    {{gwi:1201077}}

• inga007
    11 years ago

Lovely, lovely.
    I'm, so looking forward to the rest of the ABC's.
    Most of these, I've never seen before.
    Very exciting.
    Thank you all, from a delighted lurker.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nana, you're making me wish I had bought a Dainty Bess like I planned to a number of years ago. Think I'll put her on my roses-to-replace-those-that-didn't-survive-for-one-reason-or-another list. It's charming.

Dark Lady--I think I'm in love with every one of your "D" roses--hard to pick a favorite--but I am delighted to see your lovely Dakota Sun(I was born and raised in one of the Dakotas--but we had no roses, unfortunately).

Kate

This post was edited by dublinbay on Wed, Jan 2, 13 at 11:38

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

"D"elightful!

Kate, you should get Dainty Bess!

Dick Clark
    {{gwi:212947}}

Double Delight

Double Joy

Dream Come True

• bethnorcal9
    11 years ago

Beautiful roses everybody!!

Here's some of mine:

DISTANT DRUMS
    {{gwi:1201085}}

DR AJ VERHAGE
    {{gwi:1201087}}

DONNA DARLIN'
    {{gwi:1201090}}

DEB'S DELIGHT
    {{gwi:1201093}}

DUBLIN
    {{gwi:1201095}}

DR DEBAT
    {{gwi:1201097}}

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    11 years ago

Here are a few of mine, even with a severe drought for the year. The first one is Dick Clark.

The next one is Duchesse de Rohan which actually does rebloom when it gets old enough.

The next one id Duchess of Portland which for the first time since I have had it did attempt to rebloom in the fall.

The last one is the HT Duet Supreme, a rose not commonly seen.

I hope you like these, my contribution to the letter "D".

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

bustopher--love your Dick Clark--and the shade of pink displayed on the Duchess, with her contrasting gold sprinkles (what are those called--can never remember!).

Kate

• canadian_rose
    11 years ago

Wow everyone!!! Lovely, lovely Ds!! That was such a delight!!
    Carol

• caflowerluver
    11 years ago

Different color blooms on Double Delight. My favorite rose in color and fragrance.
    Clare

• jktx55
    11 years ago

Thanks for sharing the great pics.
    jack

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

That's a hot picture, Clare!

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    11 years ago

Getting back to the D's, I find I'm totally behind. Everyone has really got into the spirit of sharing photos which makes it more fun (I love to see so many new to me roses).
    Marina, I love the wavy beauty of Dentelle--very different, and Dixieland Linda is pretty unique with her gorgeous color combination.
    Seil, Dream Come True is perfection in a perfect photo.
    Beth, your Distant Drums photo is one of the best I've seen of this photogenic rose, and Dr Debat has such exquisite coloring.
    Bustopher, lovely photos of Duchess de Rohan, and Duet Supreme.
    Clare, whoa, that's one huge pink with the smaller white--gorgeous. These are Double Delight? Thanks, everyone for posting. Diane

• Annie
    11 years ago

Rosa, 'Double Delight'

• Annie
    11 years ago

Here are two more photos of blooms I took in DD's first year, 2010:

Rosa, Double Delight - each bloom is uniquely different in how much or how little red-to-cream it has, but sometimes the difference is quite dramatic!

• Annie
    11 years ago

'Double Delight' - this bloom was growing right next to the one above on the same bush. I love this super fragrant rose and its quirky colour changes.

• Annie
    11 years ago

Rosa, 'Don Juan', cl. - tied onto my old clothesline T-pole. for a support.

I LOVE the velvety red petals of Don Juan and its heady, sweet fragrance. Little tree frogs live in the hollow ends of the clothesline T-pole every summer and sing for me when I water the flowers.

Last year I planted Darlow's Enigma next to Don Juan. I am hoping D.E. will go ape and completely shroud that old T-pole with it's dainty little leaves and white flowers. The two roses look really super together.
    Maybe I will plant Heavenly Blue Morning Glories with them this year. That would fill in the spaces and look awesome as a big Patriotic backdrop for our family Fourth of July picnic. Heavenly Blue isn't the pest that other MG's are, so won't have them growing all over in there the following year. Anyway, that's the plan for 2013.

• Annie
    11 years ago

'Don Juan' rose in background.

The vibrant, velvet-red blooms are the perfect backdrop for the bloom on this Buddleia, 'Black Knight'.

• Annie
    11 years ago

Don Juan - May, 2012

• Annie
    11 years ago

Rosa, 'Darlow's Enigma'

Dainty little butter yellow to white blooms with a fragrance that is spicy and sweet like cloves. Enjoys full sun in the morning, but prefers shelter from late afternoon hot sun.

Grows quickly.

Darlow's Enigma has the most vicious thorns I have ever encountered on any plant, let alone a rose. The throns appears to have hooks on their tips and they will snag your clothes and you skin, but the more you try to free yourself, the more it tears your flesh! Zooks!
    It is an enigma.
    Still...I like this rose (;:/

Just wear leather gauntlet gloves like Falconers wear. :)
    No problemo!

~Annie

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That's a great Don Juan you are growing there, sweet.

Kate

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

Love all the changeable faces of DD!

• Annie
    11 years ago

Rosa, 'Dark Knight' in full bloom.

This rose is no longer in commission, sad to say.
    So this year I am going to try to root some cuttings. The blooms are much like the climbing Don Juan - rich, red, velvety and super fragrant.

The buds are especially gorgeous. It is a fine cutting flower.

The purple specks on her petals are salvia petals from that perennial Black'n'Blue Salvia growing around her. I planted the salvia around her to ward off the voles who were viciously attacking her root system. I nearly lost her...twice! I knew that rodents don't like sage, so thought I'd experiment and see if would save the rose. Well, I am pleased to tell you that it worked!

Dark Knight came back from the brink and last year bloomed for the first time in over 8 years. :)

• Annie
    11 years ago

Another bloom of Dark Knight surrounded by Black and Blue Salvia's lovely yellow-green leaves.

• Annie
    11 years ago

This is a close-up of Don Juan - Apr., 2012

The difference in the two is that Dark Knight has that nearly black colouring at the bud & bloom base. Nearly black reversal. Other than that, they are nearly indistinguishable in appearance and fragrance.

The summer after I bought Dark Knight, the company discontinued production of her. There is another rose marketed by almost the same name that is much darker and in great demand.
    I hope I can keep this one going.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH