HELEN'S TRUST

HOT ROMANCE

HEAVEN ON EARTH

HARRY WHEATCROFT

HOOCHIE KOOCHIE

Comments (32)

• iris_gal
    10 years ago

I keep trying to get over this obsession with 'Heaven On Earth' and you post this beauty of a photo. Love it.

This very strong yellow was a favorite of my dad's. Looked great with Sonia (coral here) in a vase and almost lasted as long as she. A richer color than what I caught.

Henry Fonda

• iris_gal
    10 years ago

'Honor' consistently has these lovely blooms. I understand it doesn't do well in all parts of the country tho. (no pink tinge in person)

Honor - Warriner'76, HT

• iris_gal
    10 years ago

And here is my first Austin rose. Didn't do much for 7 years and then reached for the sky. I pulled some branches of the anemone Honorine Jobert across the path for this pic.

Heritage

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Think I have only one "H"--

Home Run--very floriferous and disease-resistant
    {{gwi:332471}}

Beth--love the subtle shades of Harmonie and Hopie Girl--and the not-so-subtle coloration of Harry Wheatcroft--wow!

Iris--what a nice white--wish I'd known about Honor when I was looking for a good white.

Kate

• iris_gal
    10 years ago

Henry Fonda - much better color

why HANDEL must go

Handel - Cl. - why she's stayed

• sara_ann-z6bok
    10 years ago

I have nothing to contribute in the H's. Beth - You have some lovely H roses. Love the color combo of Hondo and your Cl. Handel is gorgeous. Your stripes are very dramatic. Iris - Your Henry Fonda and Honor are both very pretty. Kate, I think your Home Run rose is so lovely and healthy looking. Very nice H roses so far.

• bethnorcal9
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, HONOR really is pretty. Irisgal, how tall does your HANDEL get? Mine has never gotten more than about 4-5ft. Blooms only occasionally, and occasionally gets BS, although not as bad as yours. I just love the form and coloring on it.

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

Oh Beth, So many beauties again! I think my favorites are Helen Keller, Heaven on Earth (IâÂÂve been wanting that one for a long time, but haven't found it) and Hoochie Koochie (what a name)

Iris_gal, Love, love, love the deep yellow coloring of Henry Fonda!

And Kate, your row of Home Runs are blooming beauties!

I think I only have two:

Hot Cocoa

Heart of Gold

And Heart of Gold in a pink mood

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    10 years ago

Hellen Keller and Heaven on Earth are so pretty. Hondo and Heart of Gold are both surprising in how the colors can change. I only have 1 H other than Hot Cocoa.

Halloween (first flower from a baby plant)

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

Seil, I hadn't seen your pics when I posted. That Heather Sproul looks perfect, and the Honorine de Brabant overstuffed bud opening up is so pretty.
    Brittie, what a great first bloom! I'm such a sucker for yellow roses.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Seil, fantastic pic of Heather!

Kate

• iris_gal
    10 years ago

Beth ~ that black devil blackspot HANDEL gets to the top of the 6ft. fence and then the canes arch over for another 6ft.-8ft. Makes its own pergola.

Good to see the different color-looks of HEART OF GOLD.

Nope, don't want 'Heather Sproul'. Not at all. Now I will wipe the drool off my keyboard.

• inga007
    10 years ago

Heather Sproul makes a wonderful corsage.

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

Oh, should correct the name...mine is actually Heart O'Gold, not Heart of Gold...sorry, I always do that.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone! Heather Sproul is a tough little one besides being a beauty!

• iris_gal
    10 years ago

Color grabs your attention from a distance. Taken at the nursery in spring, midday. I opted for 'Eureka' instead.

Honey Perfume - Zary'93, florib.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

I have only one H to contribute and that is Heirloom. Comments coming on all the beautiful H photos that have been posted. Here's Heirloom. Diane

• unbiddenn
    10 years ago

Hope for Humanity

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    10 years ago

Hot Princess (with a Leana photobomb)
    {{gwi:309325}}
    {{gwi:346411}}

• view1ny NY 6-7
    10 years ago

Honor again

• view1ny NY 6-7
    10 years ago

Heritage

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Wow, diane--Hot Princes is gorgeous! Perfect form and the eye-catching hot pink!

Iris--your Honey Perfume is another "hot" one--very eye-appeal!

View--great pic of Heritage--easy to see why it is considered one of the loveliest of the Austins.

Kate

• view1ny NY 6-7
    10 years ago

Thanks, Kate. This was Heritage's first summer in my garden & I hope as it matures the blooms will last longer as they only lasted a few hours before shattering. Only time will tell.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    10 years ago

Thank you Kate! Hot Princess is still used as a florist variety. The petals have excellent substance, and the form holds for days.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Love that Honey Perfume!

Diane, that is an entire bouquet of Queens!

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

I am sooo behind--just trying to catch up with the H roses, and the I's and J's already have been posted.
    Beth, I'm not familiar with Heather, but she's a real beauty. I love the pale lavender look. Excellent photos of Honey Perfume and Hot Chocolate (love those colors) with each petal so well defined. Then there's my favorite, Hot Cocoa,with its dusky, intriguing color-wow. As lovely as Heaven on Earth is for you, I have bad memories of that rose when I grew her. I'm glad yours is doing so well. Have you had a problem with dieback with HoE?
    Iris, that photo of Henry Fonda is perfection, and Honor is even better. What a lovely photo composition.
    Kate, I am impressed Home Run's colors and blooming, and your birdbath is just charming alongside it. I guess we all forgive certain roses of their imperfections when their blooms are as breathtaking as Handel's.
    Seil, that Heather Sproul is an exquisite rose, and so is your photo of her. I love your sharp close up of Home Run--goes nicely with Kate's shot of the whole shrub.
    Pat, ooo, those pics of Heart 0' Gold...it's impossible to choose which mood I like best. Both are equally gorgeous.
    Brittie, your Halloween is a beautiful rich yellow.
    Iris, you have an eye popping Honey Perfume as well. What a luscious color.
    Unbiddenn, I love the rich color of Hope for Humanity.
    Diane, wow, Hot Princess is rose perfection with its petals smooth as porcelain.
    ViewNY, I love the refinement and delicate color of your Heritage.
    Thanks everyone for posting such lovely H rose photos.
    Diane

• bethnorcal9
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Diane, HEATHER is a J&P florist rose that also goes by the name SILVER ANNIVERSARY. My HEAVEN ON EARTH does pretty well. No dieback that I've seen.

• Curdle 10a (Australia)
    10 years ago

Honey Perfume from the Treloar gardens

• kittymoonbeam
    10 years ago

High Society from the Huntington. The color is off in this picture. The real color is wonderful and I can just stand and look at it. It's very rich and jewel like. Sort of like a cross between Maria Callas and Chrysler Imperial. It zings from across the grass.

• neptune44
    10 years ago

Honey Dijon

Heidi Klum

Handel

• sara_ann-z6bok
    10 years ago

Neptune44 - You have some lovely roses. Your Honey Dijon is the prettiest picture I've seen of it and your Handel is gorgeous!

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
DC Area's Award-Winning Interior Designer | 12x Best of Houzz