Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bethnorcal9

I have blooms in winter!!

bethnorcal9
13 years ago

After all this rain and cold and stuff... I can't believe I still have roses trying to bloom. Notice some of the colors are not their usual spring-summer ones.

Here they are...

FIRST ENTERPRISE

{{gwi:1201868}}

FLAMING PEACE

{{gwi:1201871}}

IDA

{{gwi:1201873}}

LAS VEGAS

{{gwi:1201876}}

NOVELTY

{{gwi:1201877}}

VENDEE IMPERIALE

{{gwi:1201878}}

WHISPER

{{gwi:1201880}}

WORTHWHILE

{{gwi:1201882}}

Comments (8)

• inga007
    13 years ago

WORTHWHILE? It sure is. Thank you for these lovely blooms in the middle of January.
    Happy gardening.

• bethnorcal9
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Inga. OMG tho I am such a dufus. It's been so long since I've been able to get outside, I forgot what rose was where. That's not WORTHWHILE... it's actually AWARENESS, aka LADY ABERDEEN. Duuh. I always seem to get those two mixed up for some reason. And they're at opposite ends of my yard! It's usually a good bit lighter in color, and usually a bit more on the coral side. Sorry about the mix-up!!

• canadian_rose
    13 years ago

I just went to the online C to F conversion site and we have -25.6 F. I can't imagine having roses now!!!! Lucky, lucky you!!! :) But then we're all lucky, because we get to share with you!!!

And they're SOOOO gorgeous. My favs are Awareness (sigh - the beauty), Ida, and Flaming Peace. FP is really looking spectacular there with its bicolour look. Wow!

Carol

• organicgardendreams
    13 years ago

Beth, I am quite impressed by how many roses are still blooming for you at this time of the year!

Flamingo Peace has a very interesting coloration, but my absolute favorite is Vendee Imperial. What an elegant almost mustard yellow color! Have to go to HMF and look up more photos of this rose...

Thanks for sharing your winter rose bounty with us here!

Christina

Here is a link that might be useful: Organic Garden Dreams

• jean_ar
    13 years ago

wow,What a gift, to have roses blooming in January and they are all just gorgeous, too.Thanks for taking the time to post them for us to injoy.

Jean

• katefisher
    13 years ago

Hey Beth! How fun you have some action in the garden this time of year. I know you are always earlier than us but January is stretching it:) Even I was able to get out in the yard and do some VERY basic clean up today. Still after two hours I was ready to get inside next to the woodstove. I don't think winter is done with us yet.

Hope all is well!

Kate

• mark_roeder 4B NE Iowa
    13 years ago

canadian_rose zone 3a: It is bad enough to be us, but I am envious after seeing Beth post pics of bloomin' roses.

BI cannot imagine the hardships in winter where you are at. How far north are you? And do you get much snow?

• canadian_rose
    13 years ago

Well, I live in Calgary, Alberta - we don't get as much snow as when I lived in Fort McMurray - zone 2. Right now we have about a foot of snow on the lawn (more where we've piled snow from the driveway). The coldest we ever get is -35C (-31 F) We also get Chinooks - warm winds from the mountains. So we get -25C (-13F) then +8C (46F), then back down to -15C (5F). So that's really hard on the roses, so I grow them in pots and keep them in the garage (where I have a HUGE ceiling heater linked to a thermostat - this was already in the garage when we bought the house - what a find!!!!)

Zone 2 was really challenging - 50C (-58F) for 3 weeks at a time - blech. I could only grow really hardy roses there.

Calgary is a nice place to live because of the chinooks. Calgary's had some winters (actually before I moved here) where it was +20 C (68 F) in January. People would walk around in shorts!! I'd love that!!

Carol :)

Sponsored
Ronald J. Smith Interiors, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Veteran Interior Designer Serving Clients in Upper Marlboro