Return to the Rose Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Eureka at CostCo

Posted by iris_gal z9 CA (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 13, 11 at 23:25

My garden buddy called tonight & said CostCo has roses and they look good. Pulse immediately fires up. I now have Eureka and Tuscan Sun. Eureka I've seen but CalifSue has some great spray shots at HMF. I'll blame Tuscan Sun on pictures here by Kathy and her endorsement.

Here's an old photo I took at a nursery.

Eureka - Kordes floribunda, 2002
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Eureka at CostCo

How beautiful... I love the dark edges....

o

• Posted by beth NorCA 9 (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 14, 11 at 9:17

Yep, EUREKA is quite a nice rose. Be aware tho that it likes to spread. Mine would be 5ft wide and 4ft high if I didn't keep it pruned upright. It can get hundreds of buds and blooms. Sometimes in the early season when it's cooler, the color in the first flush can be a very pale cream. It's a really interesting rose.

TUSCAN SUN can be a real beauty too. The blooms on mine got quite large last yr. The only thing I don't like is how quickly they fade and blow. But the repeat is good.

o

iris gal, lucky you that your friend notified you about the Costco roses!

Eureka seems to be quite a lovely yellow floribunda. I like the ruffled edges of the petals and that they have this darker shading of pink/apricot. Hope it will grow well for you! Please sent more pics when the rose matures!

Christina

Here is a link that might be useful: Organic Garden Dreams

o

Thanks for the heads up Beth. Will watch where I place Eureka. Drats. Didn't know Tuscan Sun blows quickly. Well..................it was really Eureka I wanted.

Finally CostCo is using a different supplier - the old one was offering dismal specimens that never came to life --- on their way to death.

o

Our Costco is STILL using no name brand. However, it had most of the roses I bought from Regan and local nurseries. I am not sorry to spent more money on my roses. When I checked on Friday, Costco roses have already looked dried up and stressed.

I am sure your Eureka will do fine. I bought mine in Sept. from Regan in 5 Gal pot. Still needs to be planted. I actually drove to SJ Rose Garden and saw it in its full glory before I bought it.

FJ

o

Wow - Eureka looks great. Looks like it has a green tinge to it? Good find.

Carol

o

Costco eh? Sounds like I need to take a drive to Reno and check it out. Thanks.

Kate

o

Iris, Tuscan Sun does not blow at all in my yard. It lasts a long time here and fades to a very pretty pale color almost white. Some roses turn nauseating when they fade, but I actually like TS in all stages. And my summers are as hot as hell, I imagine. TS never blew here, how odd Beth's do. Hmmm.
In July,

And, my Eukreka tree rose is a 10 in my garden, certainly spreads hugely, too.
Enjoy!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here