Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
altoramaboston

Show me your climbers, please!

altorama Ray
12 years ago

Even if they're not 'traditional' climbers, whatever you got to climb, or travel along a fence, I'd love to see them!

Thanks,

Alida

Comments (17)

• iris_gal
    12 years ago

Royal Sunset - Morey'60

I love this climber beacause my allergy nose can smell it 6 feet away - lovely!
    And colors of fading blooms are complimentary to newer blossoms.

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

The only true "climber" I have at the moment is Candy Land. I just got it last spring so it's only about 2 feet tall. But it did bloom wonderfully all summer!

• altorama Ray
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Those are both beautiful! I will have to look into Royal Sunset,I have not heard of that one.
    Candy Land is so pretty,imagine what it will look like this spring!
    Thanks for posting!!
    Alida

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    12 years ago

I don't really have any good climber pics--or very many climbers--although I'm getting two more in the spring-- Austin's The Pilgrim and St. Swithun. Hopefully I can show off them next winter. Enjoy what you can here--not much of an offering.

Here is Eden Climber (and purple Clematis climber)--just beginning to recover from a rather severe spring pruning to get rid of some old canes and encourage it to put out some new canes.
    {{gwi:228929}}

Here is Eden Climber the year before:

This is Dublin Bay a couple years ago. I don't seem to have any good recent pics of the whole thing. And don't forget my little leprechaun there! LOL
    {{gwi:339811}}

Here is the Viking Queen climber--not very tall, but then it got RRD and had to be spaded. Very good climber/bloomer.

That's all I've got. Looking forward to your pictures. : )

Kate

• kathy9norcal
    12 years ago

Here are a few of my climbers in their spring flush, really the best time for them. While they don't go along a fence, they certainly could if I trained them to. I don't have lots of room and use a trellis or tripod for my climbers.

Mini Candy Cane next to standard mini Gourmet Popcorn

Westerland

Dream Weaver, who has been moved too many times

Christopher Marlowe grows on a small tripod for support

Ballerina and Flower Carpet on a big tripod. FC had to go up or die, and it did as it was told.

Eye Paint

Joseph's Coat grows on a trellis.

• TNY78
    12 years ago

I learned while looking through my pictures, that I need to take more pictures of my climbers actually climbing, as opposed to just their blooms! Here's what I found (with a couple of my non-rosey climbers mixed in)...

Tammy

Pinata
    {{gwi:1203848}}

Phyllis Bide mixed in with Carolina Jesamine
    {{gwi:1203850}}

This rose was suppossed to be Adalaide Hoodless, but ended up being this beautiful pink LFC :)
    {{gwi:1203852}}

Just for fun...Little Duckling Clematis
    {{gwi:1203854}}

Hey Good Lookin'
    {{gwi:1203856}}

Dream Weaver
    {{gwi:1203858}}

One of my many grape vines
    {{gwi:1203860}}

This was ordered as Souv de la Malmaison, but was a mislabel...I think the concensus is that it is actually Sombreuil {{gwi:1203861}}

Ash Wednesday..planted as a small band about a month before this picture, and oh boy did it take off! The longest canes are about 6-7 feet long already. Can't wait to see it bloom this spring!
    {{gwi:1203863}}

My climbing rose project...the goal is to cover up the under deck area...its just being patient and waiting for them to grow! I have Purple Splash, Oranges n Lemons, Phyllis Bide, & Nahema planted around the bottom.
    {{gwi:1203865}}

• bethnorcal9
    12 years ago

I'm with you Tammy. I need to take more pics of the climbers climbing, as well as the close-ups!

Here are some of mine:

BUTTERSCOTCH - my all-time favorite rose that started me on my quest for everything "oddball."
    {{gwi:1203867}}
    {{gwi:1203868}}

FOURTH OF JULY
    {{gwi:1203870}}

STORMY WEATHER - my newest and favorite
    {{gwi:1203872}}

PELE
    {{gwi:1203873}}

ANTIKE '89 - not really much of a "climber"
    {{gwi:1203874}}

EDEN
    {{gwi:1203876}}

SOMBREUIL
    {{gwi:1203878}}

COMPASSION - obviously gets B/S
    {{gwi:1203880}}

HIGH HOPES
    {{gwi:1203882}}

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    12 years ago

Ohhhhh all these pics are gorgeous!!

Kathy can I ask where you purchased your Gourmet Popcorn standard? Cutest lil thing!! Loved the Candy Land too. Judy

• jacqueline9CA
    12 years ago

Here is something different - Dawson's "Apple Blossom", a rambler from 1890. This rose has grown in our 107 year old garden for who knows how long - I don't know if it was root stock, even. It looks lovely every Spring blooming with Fortuniana (which I am sure was root stock) and climbing up our crab apple tree.

{{gwi:328119}}

{{gwi:283720}}

Jackie

• TNY78
    12 years ago

Jackie that is amazing! My climbers have a LONG way to go before they climb like that! Love it!

Beth, I'm glad to hear what you have to say about Butterscotch. I have it ordered from Vintage for this spring (they sell it as JacTan) Also, your Stormy Weather looks so much different than the marketing pictures, I actually like your photos better. I didn't realize it had flecking in the color.

Tammy

• bethnorcal9
    12 years ago

Tammy, I LOVE that STORMY WEATHER! I can't wait to get it planted somewhere and get it growing all over! It's one of the coolest and most unusual roses I think I've seen in a long time.

{{gwi:1203883}}

{{gwi:301468}}

• TNY78
    12 years ago

Beth, I think I'll have add it to one of my spring orders! I just love it! It can take the place of Purple Splash which hasn't impressed me much so far. I'm so happy you shared the pics!
    Tammy

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    12 years ago

I agree--Stormy Weather is gorgeous! Do you have any more pics, particularly whole bush?

Kate

• bethnorcal9
    12 years ago

Sorry Kate. The plant was new last yr and it's still in a 16" pot. It's just a couple of like 2-3ft canes right now. I plan to get it in the ground this season and hope it really takes off!! Will keep you guys posted.

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

{{gwi:537093}}

Pinkie.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    12 years ago

That is one of my most favorite garden shots--just love it. And Pinkie is a show-off. Not to long ago I read someone's post expressing frustration with Pinkie--I believe the poster even spaded it. I don't know why since it makes such a colorful splash in pictures--but then I have never seen it in real life.

Kate

• DreamBee
    11 years ago

WOW! Such beautiful photos everyone, they really inspire me! Thank you so much for sharing them! All the Best, Nina