Return to the Rose Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Show me your climbers, please!

Posted by altorama 5/6 MA (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 9, 12 at 2:12

Even if they're not 'traditional' climbers, whatever you got to climb, or travel along a fence, I'd love to see them!
Thanks,
Alida

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Show me your climbers, please!

Royal Sunset - Morey'60

I love this climber beacause my allergy nose can smell it 6 feet away - lovely!
And colors of fading blooms are complimentary to newer blossoms.

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 9, 12 at 19:11

The only true "climber" I have at the moment is Candy Land. I just got it last spring so it's only about 2 feet tall. But it did bloom wonderfully all summer!

Candy Land

o

Those are both beautiful! I will have to look into Royal Sunset,I have not heard of that one.
Candy Land is so pretty,imagine what it will look like this spring!
Thanks for posting!!
Alida

o

I don't really have any good climber pics--or very many climbers--although I'm getting two more in the spring-- Austin's The Pilgrim and St. Swithun. Hopefully I can show off them next winter. Enjoy what you can here--not much of an offering.

Here is Eden Climber (and purple Clematis climber)--just beginning to recover from a rather severe spring pruning to get rid of some old canes and encourage it to put out some new canes.
Photobucket

Here is Eden Climber the year before:
Eden Climber 5-11-06

This is Dublin Bay a couple years ago. I don't seem to have any good recent pics of the whole thing. And don't forget my little leprechaun there! LOL
Dublin Bay with guardian elf 5-11-06

Here is the Viking Queen climber--not very tall, but then it got RRD and had to be spaded. Very good climber/bloomer.
Photobucket

That's all I've got. Looking forward to your pictures. : )

Kate

o

Here are a few of my climbers in their spring flush, really the best time for them. While they don't go along a fence, they certainly could if I trained them to. I don't have lots of room and use a trellis or tripod for my climbers.

Mini Candy Cane next to standard mini Gourmet Popcorn

Westerland

Dream Weaver, who has been moved too many times

Christopher Marlowe grows on a small tripod for support

Ballerina and Flower Carpet on a big tripod. FC had to go up or die, and it did as it was told.

Eye Paint

Joseph's Coat grows on a trellis.

o

• Posted by TNY78 7a-East TN (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 10, 12 at 7:09

I learned while looking through my pictures, that I need to take more pictures of my climbers actually climbing, as opposed to just their blooms! Here's what I found (with a couple of my non-rosey climbers mixed in)...

Tammy

Pinata
Photobucket

Phyllis Bide mixed in with Carolina Jesamine
Photobucket

This rose was suppossed to be Adalaide Hoodless, but ended up being this beautiful pink LFC :)
Photobucket

Just for fun...Little Duckling Clematis
Photobucket

Hey Good Lookin'
Photobucket

Dream Weaver
Photobucket

One of my many grape vines
Photobucket

This was ordered as Souv de la Malmaison, but was a mislabel...I think the concensus is that it is actually Sombreuil Photobucket

Ash Wednesday..planted as a small band about a month before this picture, and oh boy did it take off! The longest canes are about 6-7 feet long already. Can't wait to see it bloom this spring!
Photobucket

My climbing rose project...the goal is to cover up the under deck area...its just being patient and waiting for them to grow! I have Purple Splash, Oranges n Lemons, Phyllis Bide, & Nahema planted around the bottom.
Photobucket

o

• Posted by beth NorCA 9 (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 10, 12 at 9:24

I'm with you Tammy. I need to take more pics of the climbers climbing, as well as the close-ups!

Here are some of mine:

BUTTERSCOTCH - my all-time favorite rose that started me on my quest for everything "oddball."
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

FOURTH OF JULY

STORMY WEATHER - my newest and favorite

PELE

ANTIKE '89 - not really much of a "climber"

EDEN

SOMBREUIL

COMPASSION - obviously gets B/S

HIGH HOPES

o

Ohhhhh all these pics are gorgeous!!

Kathy can I ask where you purchased your Gourmet Popcorn standard? Cutest lil thing!! Loved the Candy Land too. Judy

o

Here is something different - Dawson's "Apple Blossom", a rambler from 1890. This rose has grown in our 107 year old garden for who knows how long - I don't know if it was root stock, even. It looks lovely every Spring blooming with Fortuniana (which I am sure was root stock) and climbing up our crab apple tree.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Jackie

o

Fri, Feb 10, 12 at 18:44

Jackie that is amazing! My climbers have a LONG way to go before they climb like that! Love it!

Beth, I'm glad to hear what you have to say about Butterscotch. I have it ordered from Vintage for this spring (they sell it as JacTan) Also, your Stormy Weather looks so much different than the marketing pictures, I actually like your photos better. I didn't realize it had flecking in the color.

Tammy

o

Fri, Feb 10, 12 at 22:06

Tammy, I LOVE that STORMY WEATHER! I can't wait to get it planted somewhere and get it growing all over! It's one of the coolest and most unusual roses I think I've seen in a long time.

o

Fri, Feb 10, 12 at 23:45

Beth, I think I'll have add it to one of my spring orders! I just love it! It can take the place of Purple Splash which hasn't impressed me much so far. I'm so happy you shared the pics!
Tammy

o

I agree--Stormy Weather is gorgeous! Do you have any more pics, particularly whole bush?

Kate

o

Mon, Feb 13, 12 at 22:14

Sorry Kate. The plant was new last yr and it's still in a 16" pot. It's just a couple of like 2-3ft canes right now. I plan to get it in the ground this season and hope it really takes off!! Will keep you guys posted.

o

Photobucket

Pinkie.

o

That is one of my most favorite garden shots--just love it. And Pinkie is a show-off. Not to long ago I read someone's post expressing frustration with Pinkie--I believe the poster even spaded it. I don't know why since it makes such a colorful splash in pictures--but then I have never seen it in real life.

Kate

o

WOW! Such beautiful photos everyone, they really inspire me! Thank you so much for sharing them! All the Best, Nina

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here