Return to the Rose Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Alchymist

Posted by henrikslo 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 10, 10 at 4:19

1956 . I raised this one from a cuting given to me by on older lady from her 50 years old plant.
My plant is still a baby , but the original plant in
full flush in early june is a beauty .And a tall one .
To my nose not much scent - depends on conditions .
Once flowering . And every year I just can't wait to see again the cheerful colours of this rose .

Image link: Alchymist (48 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Alchymist

You are soo right it is a Beautiful rose, well worth the wait. Thanks for posting.
Harold

o

I would love to see this in bloom. I understand it's magnificent.

o

Ooooh!! Do you have a bush shot??? I would LOVE to see one. Thanks for the look!

Carol

o

• Posted by jim1961 5/6 central pa (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 11, 10 at 20:01

Yes, a bush shot. Great Bloom!

o

Sorry , don't have a bush shot. Just another flower photo.
In their book "Gardening With Old Roses" A. Sinclair & R. Thodey describe this rose -"Alchemist is almost a yellow form of Souvenir de la Malmaison , similar to Gloire de Dijon" .

Henrik

o

This rose looks good enough to eat. Magnificent photo. If only it would rebloom I suspect it would be in every rose garden. Thank you.

Ingrid

o

Alchymist should be in every garden regardless of rebloom. It's stunningly beautiful.

Sue

o

I agree with you Sue . Beautiful pictures !

Henrik

o

Get out of here!!!!!!!!! I can't believe it!!!!! LOOK at all those roses on one plant!!!!! And the individual blooms are gorgeous.

How long is the bloom - a few weeks or a month????? If it's a month, I would get it for sure! I'm just bowled over.

Carol

o

Glad you liked the pictures. It's really an incredible rose and blooms for 4-5.5 weeks. Starts right around May 23 for my birthday and then begins to fade out around the second week of July. You can see I planted another rose (Alister Stella Gray) to pick up where it leaves off. There are clematis climbing in there as well. It has some gorgeous leathery green leaves that make a terrific background for anything. I wouldn't be without it and actually consider it the highlight of the garden.

Sue

o

Wow!! I'm putting that on my list for next year.

I've always been intrigued by that rose.

Although as a climber, it's too tender for my zone. Do you think it would do well in a pot overwintered in the garage?

Carol

o

It's a very strong, vigorous Kordes rose. If it were me, I'd plant it in the ground and wrap as much of it as possible during the winter or look for a warm spot in the garden where you can push the zone a bit. You're not far off since it's good down to zone 4. Good luck with it. The colors are fantastic as is the form and the fragrance is definitely noticeable to me.

Sue

o

Yeah, that might work. But we can get weeks on end of weather that might get as warm as 68 F and then back down to -4 F. So it might be a bit tricky. Those wonderful chinook winds play havok with roses.

Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here