Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bethnorcal9

Some Oddballs... Part 1

bethnorcal9
13 years ago

My favorite color class... what I call the "oddballs".... the tans, browns, rusts, greens, greys, mauvey-tans, etc. and blends thereof...

ACROPOLIS

{{gwi:1204407}}

BELLE EPOQUE

{{gwi:1204408}}

BLACK TEA

{{gwi:1204409}}

BROWN STUDY

{{gwi:1204410}}

BROWN VELVET

{{gwi:1204411}}

BROWNIE

{{gwi:1204412}}

BUTTERSCOTCH CL - the one that started me on my quest for all roses "oddball"...

{{gwi:1204413}}

CAFE

{{gwi:1204414}}

CHOCOLATE SUNDAE CL

{{gwi:1204415}}

DUSTY ROSE mini

{{gwi:1204416}}

FANTAN

{{gwi:1204417}}

Comments (8)

• inga007
    13 years ago

Loved all your "oddballs". Most of all the Fantan and Butterscotch, but I'm fascinated by Acropolis, are the pinker ones the older blooms?

Thanks for sharing your photos.

• bethnorcal9
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Inga, the pinker blooms on ACROPOLIS are the newer ones. In fact, they are much more of a "cool" pink than usual. They usually start out a sort of dusty, warmer, salmony-pink with kind of beigey-cream undertones. Then they gradually fade to lighter tones and the green begins to come in. This particular cluster was a little more pink and a little more green than usual. Must've been the weather at the time that changed it up a bit. The blooms last quite a long time. I imagine that bunch was several weeks old.

• organicgardendreams
    13 years ago

The difference in color of the Acropolis rose is really amazing! Fantan looks also stunning. I think, that Brownie and Cafe don't just look odd, but also very pretty :-)! I wanted Cafe for a long time and your photo convinced me that it is truly worth getting it!

Beth, I have a question. Do you grow Wedding Cake? I would call this rose also an oddball and I am wondering if you have a photo of it. If you don't mind posting I would love to see it.

Christina

Here is a link that might be useful: Organic Garden Dreams

• iris_gal
    13 years ago

Black Tea is my cuppa! Thank you Beth.

• bethnorcal9
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Christina I do have WEDDING CAKE, but it's a tiny own-root baby. I had gotten it from Roses Unlimited several yrs ago, but it died and I managed to snag a replacement from Rogue Valley. My new one is way too small to bloom yet.

Irisgal, isn't that a beauty? I'm so happy I was able to get it, and have it thrive. This yr it should be even better!

• organicgardendreams
    13 years ago

Thanks for your answer, Beth. I got Wedding Cake myself as a tiny own root plant with two canes. I seemed to have managed to kill one of the canes and it is very questionable if the other one will survive. When I was trying to get Wedding Cake I had a very hard time finding it. This variety is not so easy to "snag up" ;-)! Still have some hope that it won't come to the situation that I need a replacement.

Christina

Here is a link that might be useful: Organic Garden Dreams

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    13 years ago

You have an interesting collection there. I have read the description of Cl Chocolate Sundae, and the sellers say it is best for California. So, what that means I am not sure since they don't talk about temperature tolerances. I am curious about how Chocolate Sundae compares color-wise with Hot Cocoa. If you have Hot Cocoa, could you make some kind of comparison? To me, from what I have seen of Hot Cocoa, the two roses look to be in a similar color range.

• bethnorcal9
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bustopher, I can't believe I forgot to put HOT COCOA in these threads! Well, to me, HOT COCOA tends to be a bit more range-y in coloring. It can be dk orange, rust, burgundy, and even a bit on the mauvey side. So far, CHOCOLATE SUNDAE has been pretty consistently a dark hot cinnamon color. That picture really isn't all that accurate. I had to buy a new camera in the summer and I've been having a problem with some of the colors, getting them really accurate.

Here's a better picture of CHOCOLATE SUNDAE (and it's still not quite right):
    {{gwi:1204418}}

And since I forgot to put it in either of the oddball threads, here's HOT COCOA, as you can see, showing some mauve tones:
    {{gwi:1204420}}