Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sara_ann_gw

Lavender, Mauve & Purple Roses

sara_ann-z6bok
10 years ago

I have just a few in this color range. Look forward to seeing yours.

ANGEL FACE

This post was edited by Sara-Ann on Sun, Feb 9, 14 at 11:33

Comments (53)

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Reine des Violettes

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

Those are all beautiful Sara Ann. Very envious of your Love Song...mine barely bloomed, but holding out hope it will improve this year.

Outta the Blue

Wild Blue Yonder

Deja Blue

Love Song

Singinâ the Blues

Intrigue

Paradise

Royal Amethyst (bought in the leftover clearance bin last February and this is what it became!)

Ebb Tide

Cinco de Mayo

Fragrant Plum

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Like that Fragrant Plum, Sara! I bought once as a body bad but it didn't survive.

Pat, love all you "Blues", lol! Your pics are helpful in seeing all the differences in them.

Angel Face

Intrigue

Love Song

Paradise

Reine des Violettes
    {{gwi:308791}}

Violet Mist

Wild Plum

Winsome

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pat and Seil - Thank you. You both have some lovely ones. I like both of your Intrigue, Paradise and Love Song roses. Pat - Love your Singin' the Blues, Ebb Tide and your Fragrant Plum. Seil - Your Angel Face and Winsome are lovely. They are all beautiful.

ATTENTION EVERYONE - Be sure to check out the thread of the bi-colored and multi-colored roses. Seil added hers and they are GORGEOUS!

This post was edited by Sara-Ann on Sun, Feb 9, 14 at 19:54

• bethnorcal9
    10 years ago

Here's some of mine. 'Course most of them can be seen in the alphabet postings...

ALLURE - florist rose
    {{gwi:1204998}}

BLUE PARFUM
    {{gwi:1201560}}

BLUE FOR YOU
    {{gwi:337351}}

DELLA REESE
    {{gwi:1196452}}

CHARLES DE GAULLE
    {{gwi:1202976}}

CHANTILLY LACE
    {{gwi:1202991}}

FRAGRANT PLUM
    {{gwi:1201456}}

FIRST GREAT WESTERN
    {{gwi:348229}}

ENGLISH PERFUME
    {{gwi:1197972}}

INTERMEZZO
    {{gwi:262568}}

NICOLE CAROL MILLER

MAUVE MELODEE

PACIFIC BLUE

PARADISE
    {{gwi:244282}}

REMBRANDT VAN RYN
    {{gwi:284345}}

RHAPSODY IN BLUE
    {{gwi:337352}}

STEPHEN'S BIG PURPLE

SHI-UN

SUPERSTITION
    {{gwi:244293}}

STRANGER
    {{gwi:244296}}

• redwolfdoc_z5
    10 years ago

I love this colour range! I only have two, but I'll be getting more!

Wild Blue Yonder
    {{gwi:544812}}

and one of only three blooms I've had so far on Blue Girl. It's two years old and was advertised as Blue Angel.
    {{gwi:1201643}}

Karen

• connietx
    10 years ago

That Love Song is so pretty...
    How are the disease tolerant and re-blooming?

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Beth and Karen - Love your purples. Beth - I love the coloring of your Fragrant Plum. Della Reese, Blue for You and Rhapsody in Blue are special, they all are. Karen - Love your Wild Blue Yonder.

Connie - My experience with Love Song its first year was a good one. It had good repeat and each flush was better than the previous one. It seems to have good disease resistance so far. It is a good rose in the landscape, because it is a good bloomer, the lavender is soft, but it is still showy. I ordered two and they came from different places, because I had decided to plant some of my floribundas in twos and I was short one Love Song. They are both on Dr. Huey and they performed equally.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

I can second Sara's evaluation of Love Song. It bloomed very well all season and was above average for disease resistance. Now I just have to wait and see how winer hardy it will be!

• msjam2
    10 years ago

Angel Face and Heirloom

• msjam2
    10 years ago

I forgot Melody Perfume

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh my msjam2 I love your roses!. Really like the full bush shots. Looks like you are a good rosarian. Thanks for sharing the beautiful pictures!

• lesmc
    10 years ago

msjam...lovely roses. I always enjoy the bush shots. The picture of Heirloom is outstanding. Might have to add that one to my garden! Thanks for sharing your garden. Lesley

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

My very favorite colors are lavender and purple, and the roses in this thread have really come through with their beauty.
    Sara-Ann, I love the perfect porcelain like petals of your Angel Face. It will always be a favorite of mine. And, wow, that lush and ruffly Love Song of yours. I can't wait to start growing mine this spring. I hope it will look half as good as yours.
    Pat, the abundant blooms of Outta the Blue and Wild Blue Yonder are so impressive. I love all those ruffles on WBY--mine does some "ruffling", but I wish it would ruffle up more. Deja Blue is a cutie, too. I like those fat, luscious blooms of Fragrant Plum. FB seems to a lot of different "looks" to its bloom structure.
    Seil, I'm a sucker for spirals, and I love that center one in Paradise, surrounded by its satiny petals edged in darker lavender, a very lovely effect.
    Beth, I'm blown away by the number of beautiful lavenders you grow, and so many are new to me, which makes it more fun. Allure is quite alluring like its name. The color reminds of Blue Bayou. Della Reese is just stunning as is First Great Western (still can't get over that poor rose's name). I love the deep purple of your Stephen's Big Purple. Mine only approaches that color in fall, otherwise it's SBM(agenta).
    Redwolfdoc, Your delicate lavender Blue girl is exquisite, and I hope she becomes more productive. That is so frustrating.
    Msjam2, your big and beautiful Angel Face and Heirloom certainly put my runty ones to shame. Unbelievable size and blooming. How old are these plants? You really know how to grow roses.
    Thanks, everyone for showing all these beauties in my favorite colors. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

I think you may have seen a lot of these photos, but I'll post a few and hope that some of them are new to you. Diane
    Here's Angel Face.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Next is Heirloom. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Here is Ebb Tide, looking very purple. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Next is Ascot, which is sometimes fairly purplish. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Here's another Ascot shot, close up. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Next is Big Purple. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

And here is Blue Bayou. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

And now is Blueberry Hill. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Here is the mini, Diamond Eyes. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Here is The Prince. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Next is Twilight Zone, still a baby. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

And, finally, thanks for your patience--here is Wild Blue Yonder. Diane

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Diane - I love your purples! The color is growing on me. I think Ascot is gorgeous and the Twilight Zone looks lovely with your yellow roses, it's such a rich tone (I've got it and Big Purple coming). Love your Angel Face, they are all lovely. Your Heirloom is very pretty, how do you like it? I've read mixed opinions about it.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Thanks you so much, Sara-Ann. My good friend has a large and lovely Heirloom which inspired me to get one myself. But mine is kind of scrawny and tall, and I haven't been impressed by the blooms, either. They really crumble in our hot, dry heat. I think the newer lavenders and purples are probably a better choice. Just my opinion. Still, my friend lives and grows her Heirloom just a few miles away with much better results. Diane

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, Diane.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jim - Your Charles DeGaulle is a lovely lavender rose.

• new_garden Tindall
    9 years ago

Stephen's Big Purple

Mine looks different than the one posted above. It came from Vintage

• canadian_rose
    9 years ago

Oh my!!!
    This is a heavenly post. I had to wipe the drool off my keyboard. :)
    Seriously, seriously gorgeous roses. Oh my!!!
    Carol

• seaweed0212
    9 years ago

100% agree with Canadian_rose, love them all!

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

I had forgotten about this lavender to purple thread. Thanks for bringing it up again--such beauties. There is something very special about all lavenders and purples, isn't there!

Kate

• surya55_gw
    9 years ago

What lovely roses! Thx for sharing all!

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    8 years ago

I had forgotten completely about this thread and was pleasantly surprised to see it again. I no longer have two Big Purples, Blueberry Hill, or Heirloom--all removed this year. But I do have Munstead Wood and two Love Song roses. I have to say I don't miss the first group and regard their replacements as much better roses--at least for me in this location. With my lack of space, I'm getting increasingly picky about who takes up prime garden real estate. Diane

• Ninkasi
    8 years ago

Diane it is that Blue Bayou of yours that has sent me searching for one of my own! Also that ebb tide is just gorgeous

• redwolfdoc_z5
    8 years ago

Thanks for bringing this thread back up! I've since sent Blue Girl to a new home (where she is MUCH happier) and shovel-pruned Wild Blue Yonder. I replaced it with New Imagine but it hasn't bloomed yet. I also added two Munstead Wood roses and so far absolutely love them!

• Vansunny_BC 7b F
    8 years ago

Sara, here are my purple roses.

Big Purple

Young Lycidas (last year picture)

Love Song

Poseidon

Angel Face

Munstead Wood

Ebb Tide

• Sara-Ann Z6B OK
    8 years ago

Wow, those are gorgeous! Your Love Song is beautiful! Looks like it has a lot of one per stem blooms. Your Ebb Tide is exquisite, how does it do for you? Your pictures are very enabling!

• Vansunny_BC 7b F
    8 years ago

Haha, thanks, Sara, I took that Ebb Tide around 8:30pm at night. I was surprise when seeing that nice purple color.

• suncoastflowers
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

That Blue Bayou looks like it's glowing! I bet it does on nights when the moon is full.

My Ebb Tide isn't nearly as purple as yours. How old is your EB? Mine is two years old and has been move around a lot. Poor thing. I am hoping the age and moves are contributing to the color.

• Vansunny_BC 7b F
    8 years ago

ut2nc, mine is the third year now. It has a lot of flowers this year.

• redwolfdoc_z5
    8 years ago

Here are some of mine this year:

Incognito

Munstead Wood

Diamond Eyes

Nightmoss

Twilight Zone

Poseidon

I do love the purples! There are a few more that have yet to open this year. :)

Karen

• Sara-Ann Z6B OK
    8 years ago

Very nice. Incognito is perfection!

• kublakan
    8 years ago

Purples are my second favorites behind stripes. Great shot of Charles de Gaulle. Definitely gong to place it on my wish list.

• steve_gw
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

This is my Olivia Rose Miniature, its doing quite well in the shows, as it won Gold Arrangement yesterday at our Gateway Rose Show, also won, mini in a bowl, King of Miniatures, and Mini Spray a few times....

It lasts a long time in the COOLER!

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    8 years ago

I finally found this thread again. Couldn't get it through my head it was in the gallery and not the roses forum. And more gorgeous purples and lavenders have been added--every one of them is too lovely to pick a favorite.
    Vansunny, I especially love your Young Lycidas. It's the way I would like mine to look, rich color and full of petals.
    Karen, all those blooms are exquisite--I love Nightmoss. It's new to me. Is it a mini like Diamond Eyes?
    Steve, Olivia Rose is perfection. I can see why she's a winner.
    Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    8 years ago

Ninkasi, I meant to ask if you ever found a source for Blue Bayou. I know you can't get it around here. This 110 degree heat has cooked mine good. The blooms are just dust in need of deadheading. Diane