Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bethnorcal9

Roses "S" (part 1)

bethnorcal9
10 years ago

Well, we're getting down towards the end of the alphabet. Gonna be lots of S's! Wow, maybe I should do this in two threads... waaaay too many of them!!

ST PATRICK
{{gwi:1205278}}

SEVENTH HEAVEN
{{gwi:1205280}}

SHAZAM! - one of the short-lived J&P intros
{{gwi:1205282}}

SHEILA'S PERFUME
{{gwi:1205283}}

SILVERADO
{{gwi:244287}}

SAMARITAN
{{gwi:1205284}}

SAN ANTONIO
{{gwi:1205285}}

SANKA
{{gwi:1205286}}

SCANDIA

SECRET

SUMMER SONG - apparently I'm the only one who can grow this thing to satisfaction
{{gwi:229739}}

SIMSALABIM
{{gwi:244290}}

STRAIGHT ARROW
{{gwi:348239}}

STRANGER
{{gwi:244296}}

STEPHEN'S BIG PURPLE
{{gwi:1205002}}

SHOWTIME
{{gwi:350299}}

SUSAN ELIZABETH

STORMY WEATHER CL

SEVEN SEAS

SCHWARZE MADONNA

SOLITUDE
{{gwi:1204844}}

Comments (12)

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

Beth,
    Beautiful group of roses...LOVE your button eye SAMARITAN, stripey SIMSALABIM and the deep velvet color of your SCHWARZE MADONNA!!!

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Beth, that Shazam is beautiful!!!

Pat, Samaritan is the same as my English Sonnet. The rose has a bunch of names so if you're looking for it it might be listed as King Arthur, Fragrant Surprise, Lawrence of Arabia, Samaritan or English Sonnet. It's registration name is HARverag.

I have quite a few "S"s but not nearly as many as Beth so I'll just post mine here.

Sedona

Show Stopper

Sisters at Heart

Snow Ruby

Softee, a power house bloomer!

{{gwi:306702}}

Stars n Stripes
    {{gwi:284319}}

Strawberry Romance
    {{gwi:350404}}

Summer Fashion

Sunny Delight

• bethnorcal9
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Seil, I love all your S's! I had SUNNY DELIGHT, but it died. Seems to be a hard to find one. I love seeing your STRAWBERRY ROMANCE. Mine doesn't bloom very often, unfortunately.

• iris_gal
    10 years ago

Beth,
    I read all the nasty comments on 'Summer Song' and remembered how well it did for you. Great looking rose!
    What a bud on 'Showtime'. Glorious.
    'Schwarze Madonna' has such a velvet look in photos. Must be more so in person.
    I think every one of these would be lovely addition when I get my 5 acres :-) Excellent group!!

Seil,
    Scrumptous buds on mini 'Show Stopper' and 'Softee'. It is 'Strawberry Romance' that me hooked. That pink and cream reverse is sooo sophisticated. So elegant. Your other pictures at HMF are also to swoon over.

Here is another look at 'Secret' a couple hundred miles south of Beth. Very fragrant. Vigorous grower.

SECRET - Tracy'92, HT, pink and white here, edging width varies with season.

• iris_gal
    10 years ago

Beth, really nice pic of 'St. Patrick'. Not a photogenic rose for me --- love how it lasts and can change from a lemony yellow to mellow tones after a few days in the vase. 2 in 1. Great capture. Yipee, here comes the rain.

St. Patrick - Strickland'86, HT, aka Limelight or Irish Luck in So. Africa

• iris_gal
    10 years ago

Here's 'St. Patrick' in a more mellow phase. After cutting it can be even mellower.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    10 years ago

Seil - Gorgeous roses as usual. My favorites are Sedona, Sister's at Heart, Strawberry Romance and Sunny Delight. Iris, your Secret is lovely, I've tried growing it twice and it hasn't done much for me. I planted one last year and I think it is one of just a few that didn't make it. Love your St. Patrick too.

• iris_gal
    10 years ago

Here's another one Beth has. I've lost it and very saddened (construction). It is a 'happy' rose. Always warmed the cockles of my heart.

Solitude - Poulson'91

• lesmc
    10 years ago

South Africaâ¦the best blooming rose in my garden. It is also the most asked about rose by visitors.Hope it makes it thru this winter! Lesley

• inga007
    10 years ago

I'm so sad that the alphabet is coming to it's end, but it has been so nice to be introduced to so many new roses, as well, as seeing old favorites, or ones that haven't been posted for years.
    I also find it fascinating how temperatures can influence colours.
    Thank you Beth and all the many contributors for the" Joy of Roses."
    Inga

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Beth, Shazam! may be gone from J&P, but it's a stunning rose with unusual coloring. I also like Summer Song's striking color and its "stuffed" form. I always get a kick out of seeing pics of Simsalabim, a fascinating rose. I even Googled its name a while back and learned some great factoids about where that strange name came from. Does the rose Abracadabra have similar parentage to Sim? Seven Seas is adorable, and makes me wonder where you find these great roses I've never heard of. I must be out of the loop when it comes to unusual roses.
    Seil, Sisters at Heart is luscious. Those blooms look like sherbet to me (must be getting hungry again). Your Strawberry Romance has been a favorite of mine since I saw one of your earlier photos of it, and those exquisite colors caught my eye.
    Irisgal, Secret is like a fine watercolor painting with such perfection in form.
    Lesley, South Africa never takes a bad picture, and I continue to be impressed by the praise it garners. I also hope it comes through your nasty winter to show that gorgeous color again.
    Thanks for these glimpses of your beauteous S roses.
    Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

I have just one S rose to show. Here is Sisters Fairy Tale, part of the Kordes Fairy Tale series, and not one of the better ones, I'm sorry to say. It's also known as Home & Garden. Diane

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm