Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dublinbay

Show off your White Roses!

dublinbay z6 (KS)
12 years ago

I'm kinda running out of roses and categories, but I'm sure other posters still have more photos we can admire, so how about we try for whites and white blends on this thread?

I don't have a lot to contribute, but here is one of my favorite minis: Green Ice. Can you see the slight hint of green observable in cooler weather usually?

Here's another Green Ice--see the slight hint of pastel peach around the buds? I love those subtle shadings.

{{gwi:325450}}

I'm cheating here--showed this one in the yellow thread--but I've never figured out if it is a pastel yellow that fades to white on the edges or a creamy white with a pastel yellow highlight in the center. Besides, I don't have any other whites :(

Elina

{{gwi:220212}}

In the spring, I'm getting the floribunda Easter Basket which, I think, qualifies as a white blend, so next year . . . . : )

Oh yes, I'm also getting a white ht called Memoire.

Show off your whites here--I'd love to see Memoire or Easter Basket also.

Kate

Comments (32)

• inga007

Wow! What a bounty of white blooms. Absolutely marvelous. Thanks for sharing. I will share these with my friend, who also adores white roses.

• inga007

Wow! What a bounty of white blooms. Absolutely marvelous. Thanks for sharing. I will share these with my friend, who also adores white roses.

• inga007

• kathy9norcal
    12 years ago

Kate, did you do oranges yet? I have been waiting for that color!
    I don't have many whites, either, but love the ones I do have. Here goes:

French Lace, has pink only when opening in cool weather

Sharon's Delight, a favorite that blooms all the time

Snow Bird, with its tiny buds that open so nicely

Summer Fashion, sometimes called yellow but mostly white for me

Gruss an Aachen--I must not have the pinkish one

Gourmet Popcorn, a standard here in my garden

Charles Aznavour (Matilda?) which is only pink in cool weather or when just opening. Another that is always covered in blooms.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Beth, you are right. I overlooked orange/apricot--cuz I don't have any, I suppose. : ( We can let this white one go for a bit here and then start the orange/apricot one, but you'll have to contribute to it to make up for my lack of pictures. : )

I'm so glad you posted Charles Aznavour. He is closely related (I've forgotten how) to the Easter Basket I'm getting in the spring--like two different seedlings from the same batch--or something like that (I used to know). I do like the delicacy of color on these siblings. Does Charles have ruffly petals like Easter Basket is supposed to? I had an Easter Basket before--it bloomed once and came down promptly with RRD, so I had to get rid of it. I remember, however, that I really liked the one batch of blooms I got.

My Gourmet Popcorn doesn't bloom as fulsomely as yours. Maybe this year? It will be its third year.

French lace is so lovely with those pink centers.

Thanks for sharing.

Kate

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

I don't have a ton of white either. Then tend to be fragile here in my high humidities. They don't winter well and the blooms get botrytis and/or often ball and don't open because they usually have very thin petal substance. These are the ones that I've found do the best for me.

Blanche Neige, polyantha

Constellation, mini I just got last year so we'll see.

Fortune Cookie, another new mini.

Garden Party does fairly well.

Irresistable, mini

Ivory Tower, opens pretty well but rains spots easily.

Pope John Paul II, easily the best white HT I've every had for opening reliably. The petals are very thick.

I loved the long buds on JFK but they never opened for me. I also have had Honor and Full Sail but neither of those wintered well here.

• the_dark_lady
    12 years ago

I don't have a lot of whites in my garden, please take a look.

Baltimore Belle

{{gwi:265309}}

Bouquet Parfait

{{gwi:1205567}}

Clarence House

{{gwi:1205569}}

Escimo

{{gwi:1205571}}

Glamis Castle

{{gwi:1205572}}

Guirlande d'Amour

{{gwi:1205573}}

Kew Gardens

{{gwi:1205574}}

Leda

{{gwi:1199245}}

Lichfield Angel

{{gwi:1205575}}

Macmillan Nurse

{{gwi:1205576}}

Manuel Canovas

Marie Bugnet

{{gwi:1199657}}

Martine Guillot took a pinkish hue last Fall

Mary Webb

{{gwi:1199667}}

Mermaid

Mme. Hardy

{{gwi:1199676}}

Parky

Purezza

Rokoko

Rushing Stream

Snow Goose

The Generous Gardener

The Nun

{{gwi:1205400}}

White Eden

White Gold

Windermere

{{gwi:312595}}

• the_dark_lady
    12 years ago

Seil,

Your Blanche Neige is gorgeous! I need one :)))

Marina

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    12 years ago

Wow these are sooooo beautiful. I agree Marina, I need one too.

Kathy would you please let me know where you got your Gourmet Popcorn tree rose. Judy

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

White Gold and Generous Gardener, Baltimore Belle, Lichfield Angel, Garden Party and Constellation--so many lovelies. Who would have thought white comes in so many appealing hues and shapes!

I need to raze my house so I can expand my rose beds, no doubt about it! LOL

Kate

• TNY78
    12 years ago

Marina, wow! I think you just added about 10 to my wish list!!

I had less whites than I thought too...

Tammy

White Out
    {{gwi:243381}}

White Koster (Blanche Neige) is at the center of my 7 dwarves roses (well 6 dwarves since my dog ate Happy...and no, I wasn't happy!)
    {{gwi:1205593}}

R. Moschata Plena
    {{gwi:1205594}}

Pope John Paul II..I agree with Seil, wonderful rose for a HT!
    {{gwi:1205595}}

Milwaukee's Calatrava
    {{gwi:1205596}}

John F Kennedy
    {{gwi:241836}}

Jacqueline du Pre
    {{gwi:1205597}}

Glamis Castle
    {{gwi:1205598}}

Edina
    {{gwi:1205599}}

Darlow's Enigma (grows like its on steroids!!!)..and a baby spider
    {{gwi:1205600}}

Armide
    {{gwi:1205601}}

Alfred de Dalmas
    {{gwi:1205603}}

Winchester Catherdral (this was its first bloom after I added in this past fall...looking for a great showing this coming spring!)
    {{gwi:1205604}}

• bethnorcal9
    12 years ago

My white roses didn't do so hot last yr, so many of them won't be seen here. Hopefully this yr I'll have better pics...

Some of these aren't totally "white."

FRENCH LACE
    {{gwi:1205606}}

GRAND PRIZE
    {{gwi:1205608}}

HAILSTORM
    {{gwi:1205610}}

ICE CREAM
    {{gwi:1205612}}

IRRESISTIBLE mini
    {{gwi:1205612}}

IVORY GRAND
    {{gwi:1205613}}

JANET CARNOCHAN
    {{gwi:1205614}}

JOSE CARRERAS
    {{gwi:1205615}}

KAMELEON
    {{gwi:1205616}}

LOVING SON
    {{gwi:1205617}}

MME HARDY
    {{gwi:1205618}}

MOONSTONE
    {{gwi:1205619}}

PEDRUS AQUARIUS
    {{gwi:1205620}}

POP WARNER
    {{gwi:1205621}}

RENAISSANCE
    {{gwi:1204319}}

SOMBREUIL CL
    {{gwi:1205622}}

TINEKE

WOW, I seriously need to spray for thrips this yr.... Yikes!!

• jumbojimmy
    12 years ago

Claire Austin - this rose repeats very well with lots of buds, but I tend to find the blooms look a little ordinary.

• the_dark_lady
    12 years ago

jumbojimmy, your Claire Austin is so beautiful!
    I am expecting three of them this Spring from D.A. Roses, TX.
    Could you please tell me what kind of bush it has? Does it grow as a bush or a climber?
    Can I plant all three of them as a group?
    Thank you, Marina

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lovely, lovely, lovely!

Beth, did you accidentally post the identical picture for Ice Cream and Irresistible? The reason I noticed is that I think Ice Cream is the same as Memoire, the rose I ordered for spring delivery, and I'm curious whether that is the correct picture or not.

Grand Prize is pretty also--I'm getting quite fond of golden stamens in the middle of white blooms. Adds some interest.

Kate

• jumbojimmy
    12 years ago

the_dark_lady z7 - thanks.

I only have Claire Austin for one year so it's a little too early to comment on whether Claire wants to become a climber or a bush. I do love the slender growth. The shrub looks airy and has less thorns.
    The flowers don't last long, the colour is a little pale and I have a really small garden so one Claire Austin is enough for me. White roses are not my favorite colour but so far Claire Austin is doing well in my garden. My other Austins are taking a break while Claire Austin is still blooming.

I suppose you can train it into a short climber. If you go to David Austin website and click onto the Japanese version, you will find a short Climbing Claire Austin growing against the wall.

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

Lots of pretty white roses everyone!

It looks like you have a lot of white to me, dark lady! Love that Rokoko!

I wish I'd gotten one bloom like that on my JFK, Tammy! I also didn't realise that Blanche Neige and White Koster were the same rose! Thanks!

Beth, I keep looking at that French Lace, may have to find it. And Ivory Grand looks interesting too!

Jumbojimmy, you make me want Claire!

• TNY78
    12 years ago

Thanks Seil, just don't look at the blackspotted leaves in the background of that JFK pic...lol!

I purchased my White Koster because I couldn't find Blanche Neige, then, come to find out, it was the same rose! That's how I ended up with two Belle des Jardins/La Runbanee...I bought them from two different sources and didn't realize it was the same rose until I looked on HMF. Only problem was that, I wasn't that crazy about the first one, and now I have two!!

~Tammy

• bethnorcal9
    12 years ago

LOL! Yes Seil I did!! OMG. It was late when I posted those and I didn't catch that! Here's the correct picture of IRRESISTIBLE:

{{gwi:1205630}}

• jlee160
    12 years ago

Those of you that have glamis castle- how does it do for you?

Gorgeous pics everyone!

• Annie
    12 years ago

For those of you who have Snow Goose, how does it perform in the heat of summer?
    Is it fragrant?

I want to get a white rose with few thorns to grow up and over a pathway arch. The path curves and cuts through my White garden and Daylily Garden. White is the reoccurring element throughout both of these two gardens areas.

Summers here are hot and wind is a constant here on these Oklahoma hills, so I want a rambling white rose that re-blooms and can take the heat and wind. Iceberg does well for me. I have the Iceberg shrub, so I want something a little different looking - a little fancier for the arch as it will be a focal point. Snow Goose appears to be exactly the look I want for my arch.

I have read all the info posted at David Austin's website, but anything you can tell me about it as a grower would be much appreciated.

You all have such beautiful roses and gardens.

Love these David Austin topics by color, BTW. What a clever idea!

Thank you.
    ~Annie

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Annie, do you know helpmefind.com ? It might give you some more info.--and is a good link to know in general.

Kate

• Krista_5NY
    12 years ago

Beautiful pics, everyone!

Annie, perhaps Mme Alfred Carriere might be of interest. It's a beautiful climbing rose, an old fashioned Tea-Noisette with excellent repeat bloom.

Mme Alfred Carriere

Mme Alfred Carriere as an immature plant, next to Reine Victoria.

In a vase:

{{gwi:218067}}

Boule de Neige, on the left

{{gwi:218679}}

Clotilde Soupert

{{gwi:215614}}

Stanwell Perpetual

• Annie
    12 years ago

Oh, Mme Alfred Carriere is lovely. Just the thing I was looking for, IF she is thornless. My gateway is not very wide, so cannot have thorns, but I do want something elegant and I like the frilly petals and yellow centers.
    Is she a good repeat blooming rose?
    Is she fragrant?

Thanks for your help.
    Going now to do a search.

~Annie

• Krista_5NY
    12 years ago

Annie, Mme Alfred Carriere has a few thorns, not a lot of thorns. It repeats well in the heat of summer, does well all season long. The fragrance is similar to pineapple, to my nose. (I know of a good vendor for this rose, feel free to email me for info.)

• lovemysheltie
    12 years ago

I only have 1 white :( I'd love to get some more though :D I grew Frau Karl Druschki years ago but the combination of diseases + no fragrance + evil thorns made me SP him :-/

Blanc Double de Coubert - always the first to bloom!

{{gwi:213171}}

• lovemysheltie
    12 years ago

Oh wait, I also have Climbing Clotilde Soupert, when she's white and not pink in shade :D

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

sheltie, your Clotilde Soupert is exquisite!

Kate

• lovemysheltie
    12 years ago

Thanks Kate, I love her! :)

• jewelie6
    11 years ago

White Licorice. Smells heavenly!

• thorngrower sw. ont. z5
    11 years ago

Well I certainly know what not to get, But Wow!! they are all so beautiful..............

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

When I started this thread, I said I didn't have many whites. Well, now I have one more, and is she a beauty--but it is really hard to get a decent photo of her. There she sits in the garden looking pristine white, but put a camera in front of her, and a faint brown edge begins to appear--as though she suffered from thrips. I think these pics largely overcame that that problem, but shame on my camera for revealing a lady's blemishes!

Memoire/Ice Cream--new rose, first two blooms on it. Can you see that irritating faint brown edging? And such a big, full beautiful bloom otherwise.

Another view of Memoire/Ice Cream--shot at a longer range (so the faint brown edging won't be so apparent--hee, hee!)

That's it for my whites. Anyone else have any?

Kate

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz