Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
the_dark_lady

Roses "S"

the_dark_lady
11 years ago

Let's do our "S" roses. I know, it is going to be a great thread - so many S-beauties!!!
Here are some of mine, unfortunately, I don't have all of them photographed, and some of them are no longer in my garden.
Marina

Sans Souci
{{gwi:1205829}}

Scarborough Fair
{{gwi:1205830}}

Scarlet Velvet
{{gwi:1205831}}

Scepter'd Isle
{{gwi:1205832}}

Schloss Bad Homburg
{{gwi:1205834}}

Schloss Ippenburg (aka Francis Meilland)
{{gwi:1205835}}

Sea Foam
{{gwi:1205836}}

Sebastian Kneipp
{{gwi:1205837}}

Segovia
{{gwi:1205838}}

Senegal
{{gwi:1205839}}

Sharifa Asma
{{gwi:1205840}}

Shropshire Lass
{{gwi:1205841}}

Sir Clough
{{gwi:1205842}}

Sir John Betjeman
{{gwi:1205844}}

Siren's Keep
{{gwi:1205846}}

Sister Elizabeth
{{gwi:1205848}}

Snow Goose
{{gwi:1205849}}

Snowdon
{{gwi:1205850}}

Soleil d'Or
{{gwi:1205851}}

Soleil Vertical
{{gwi:1205852}}

Solero
{{gwi:1205854}}

Sommersonne
{{gwi:1205856}}

Sophy's Rose
{{gwi:1205857}}

Sourire d'Orchidee
{{gwi:1205858}}

Souvenir d'Edouard Maubert
{{gwi:1205859}}

Souvenir du Docteur Jamain (with Clematis Florida Seboldii on the first photo)
{{gwi:1205860}}

{{gwi:1205861}}

{{gwi:1205862}}

Spirit of Freedom
{{gwi:1205863}}

{{gwi:1205864}}

{{gwi:1205865}}

Spotty
{{gwi:1205866}}

St. Alban
{{gwi:1205867}}

{{gwi:1205868}}

St. Cecilia
{{gwi:1205869}}

St. Claire
{{gwi:1205870}}

St. Ethelburga (love, love, love this rose!)
{{gwi:1205871}}

{{gwi:1205872}}

{{gwi:1205873}}

St. Swithun
{{gwi:1205874}}

Star of the Republic
{{gwi:1205875}}

Sterntaler
{{gwi:1205876}}

And here with a visitor
{{gwi:1205877}}

Stormy Weather
{{gwi:1205879}}

Strawberry Hill
{{gwi:1205881}}

Stunning
{{gwi:1205883}}

Summer Sun
{{gwi:1205884}}

Summer Lodge
{{gwi:1205885}}

Summer Song (love it!)
{{gwi:1205886}}

{{gwi:1205887}}

Super Elfin
{{gwi:1205888}}

Susanna Tamaro
{{gwi:1205889}}

Swan
{{gwi:1205891}}

Sympathy
{{gwi:1205893}}

Symphony
{{gwi:1205894}}

Comments (40)

• nummykitchen
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Marina -- Your gardens are so stunning. Every time you post photos I feel like I am on a tour of a European rose garden and am just amazed at all of your beautiful roses!

I especially love Summer Lodge, I adore striped roses and had never heard of that one before! Where did you find it?

I only have one S rose to share...

Stars 'n' Stripes Forever

Andrea

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    11 years ago

Marina, your S roses are spectacular, as usual, and I'll be back this evening with a few comments on my favorites (that will be difficult).
    Andrea, your Stars and Stripes is so cute and healthy looking. Don't feel bad about having only one rose to post--so do I.
    I'm going to post the only S rose I have photographed now, along with a cheater, Sarah Bernhardt peony--it looks like a rose--heehee. My rose post is Sisters Fairy Tale rose, also known as Home and Garden. It wasn't the best bloom in the bunch. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    11 years ago

Oops, better post my rose, Sister Fairy Tale. Diane

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

All I have for an "S" rose is the following cutie.

Sweet Diana (mini)--actually I have 7 of them. Very floriferous and disease-resistant.
    {{gwi:309005}}

I'll comment on the others later tonight. Did notice Scepter'd Isle up there--which got me all excited since I'm expecting mine with my spring order. Can't wait to plant the lovely one!

Also noticed St. Swithun--I got one bloom off her and she came down with RRD! ARggghhhh!

Kate

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

Aack! I need Spotty, Marina! Where can I get one? You really have an amazing collection.

seil's "S"s

Sedona

Show Stopper

Sisters at Heart

Snow Ruby

Softee

Stars n Stripes

Strawberry Romance

Summer Fashion
    {{gwi:278817}}

Sunny Delight

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nummy, Diane, Kate, Seil, so many to drool over!!!
    Love that peony and Home and Garden; Sweet Diana is sooo cute!
    Seil, love your Strawberry Romance and Summer Fashion, and Sunny Delight, and Snow Ruby!... Strawberry Romance is my favorite from the whole bunch.

Keep'em coming! :)
    Marina

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Seil, I don't even remember where I got my Spotty from. I may try to root it for you, if you are interested. Just let me know.

Nummy, my Summer Lodge is cutting-grown. Got it from my dear friend.

Marina

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

Oh, Marina, would you? I would love to have it! I think a polka dotted rose is just the coolest thing ever! It's a gallica so it should be hardy for me too. I don't even mind that it's a once bloomer either! I know just the spot for it!

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Seil, deal! :))
    Marina

• Karolina11
    11 years ago

Marina,
    I'm just going to have my rose orders billed to you. Everytime I look through your photos I end up adding at least three roses to my want list haha. You have an amazing and gorgeous collection!

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

Marina, I've been going through your pics --they are all so lovely. I can see why St. Ethelburga would ge a favorite with those full pink blooms, but I have to admit I'm partial to the lovely pics you have of the Austins, expecially Sharifa Asma, Sophy's Rose, and Symphony. And Senegal is a wonderful dark red. But I think maybe out of the whole bunch I may like Sommersonne--not just the full blooms, but also the different shades of coral and the light reverses--they are wonderful!

Nummy, stars n stripes is such a cheerful looking rose. Love those stripes.

And Nana, your peonies are as lovely as your roses. I'm a big peony fan also.

Seil, you always take such excellent solo pics of hts--each one gets to "star" beautifully in each pic. I have to agree with marina--Strawberry Romance is outstanding for form and subtle shading--all of which you capture marvellously well. Summer Fashion and Sunny Delight a great also.

Kate

• TNY78
    11 years ago

Where where where to begin????

Marina, love all of your Austin's inparticular Snow Goose and St. Alban...and the Mantis of course! Also completely intrigued by Spotty and Summer Lodge! I also hope hat my baby Super Elfin (still in a 1g container) will one day bloom like yours!

Nummy...great pic of Stars and Stripes Forver....I thought it was Rosa Mundi at first glance :)

Kate...very cute little mini! I love yellow, but the BS is so bad here on them....ack!!!

Seil...I love the curly petals on Strawberry Romance! So cute and delicate at the same time. Also a fan of Softee. I grow it too and its a wonderful little rose!

Tammy

Summer Night
    {{gwi:1205906}}

Stars and Stripes (now a victim of my dog's chewing frenzy)
    {{gwi:1205907}}

St. Elisabeth of Hungary
    {{gwi:1205908}}

Souv de St Anne
    {{gwi:1205909}}

Sombrieulle (sorry, I know that's spelled wrong!)
    {{gwi:1205910}}

Sunshine Daydream
    {{gwi:1205911}}

Sultaine Favorite
    {{gwi:1205912}}

Sunny Side Up
    {{gwi:1205913}}

Star of the Republic
    {{gwi:1205914}}

Stanwell Prepetual
    {{gwi:1205915}}

St. Patrick
    {{gwi:1205916}}

Souv de Philemon Cochet
    {{gwi:1205917}}

Souv de Brod
    {{gwi:1205918}}

South Africa
    {{gwi:1205919}}

Softee
    {{gwi:1205920}}

Social Climber
    {{gwi:1205921}}

This post was edited by TNY78 on Sun, Feb 3, 13 at 23:06

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

Thank you, thank you, Marina!! Let me know when you are ready and we'll make arrangements.

Thanks, Kate!

Tammy, don't give up on Stars n Stripes. I thought I'd lost mine last year when I had to prune it to the ground in spring. Came back bigger and better than ever! Love that photo of St. Patrick!

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tammy, I am in love with your roses!
    St. Elizabeth of Hungary. What can you tell about this rose? I have it on order from Heirloom for Spring delivery.
    Love the color of your Star of the Republic - beautiful color variations.
    Wonderful shot of Souvenir de Philemon Cochet. I have not seen a single decent bloom on mine since I planted it seven years ago :(
    Erinnerung an Brod, Softee and South Africa are great, too.
    I am afraid, I mentioned all your posted roses!:)
    Marina

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Marina

This post was edited by the_dark_lady on Sun, Feb 3, 13 at 23:50

• bethnorcal9
    11 years ago

OMG! What beauties Marina! Love that SPOTTY. And Seil, your S's are beautiful too. Wish my STRAWBERRY ROMANCE would look that good.

Here are some of mine...

SOFT WHISPER
    {{gwi:1205922}}

SPIRIT OF GLASNOST
    {{gwi:1205923}}

SOARING SPIRITS CL
    {{gwi:1205924}}

STUNNING
    {{gwi:1205925}}

SANDRA
    {{gwi:1205926}}

SANKA
    {{gwi:1205928}}

SAMARITAN
    {{gwi:1205930}}

SHOWTIME
    {{gwi:1205932}}

SOUTH AFRICA
    {{gwi:1205934}}

SOUVENIR DE MME LEONIE VIENNOT
    {{gwi:1205935}}

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    11 years ago

Wow. And wow again! What a marvelous group of roses, everyone...and so many I have never seen before.
    Here is my contribution:

Secret:

Secret Recipe:

Sheila's Perfume:

Something for Judy:

and

Spring's a Comin'

Sweet Fairy, a micro-mini:

Spanish Rhapsody:

Square Dancer:

Sunbonnet Sue:
    {{gwi:312751}}
    and
    {{gwi:312753}}

Sydonie:

Stanwell Perpetual:

• inga007
    11 years ago

I love these ABC posts
    Being a windowsill gardener myself, I have been lurking for many years and appreciate the hard work.
    This is the "cream" of the crop. I think all the best blooms come out and many new or long time no-see, ones are here too.

Congratulations to all.

• sidos_house
    11 years ago

Thanks to everyone who has been posting on the alphabet forums, my rose wish list has quadrupled in length :)

Beth, I love striped roses and Carefree Spirit is such a happy one. I'll have to add that to my list.

Anne Cecilia, was there ever anything so romantic as Sydonie? I'll have to add that to my list too -- as well as the Pink Fairy micro-mini rose. I'm a pushover for anything with "fairy" in its name and for tiny, little things.

Marina, you and your roses are so helpful and inspiring. I have wondered each year if Snow Goose was a pretty enough choice for a rambler and your beautiful shot proves that it is. Another one for my list.

Thank you all for sharing your roses. I've learned so much.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    11 years ago

I think I am going to have to dramatically shorten this post because the wonderful photos just keep on coming...oh, where to start?
    The intoxicating red of Marina's Scarlet Velvet is a good place to begin. It's such a perfect photo. I seem to be attracted to those wavy petals in Schloss Bad Homburg and Souvenir d' Edouard Maubert. I think a favorite for me is Senegal with the rich color of its velvety petals. And Souvenir du Docteur Jamain has more of that intoxicating velvety red, which I can't get enough of. I, too love St Ethelburga, and have wanted it for some time. So it's nice to know how much you love it. Summer Song has such neat muted orange tones--very intriguing.
    Sweet Diana is just cute and cheery--love it, Kate.
    Seil,I love all your photos, but I think that of Strawberry Romance is my favorite. I just love those lacy and scalloped petals.
    Tammy, St Elizabeth of Hungary has been on my "life list" for so long, and I love seeing your beautiful example of her. I think the Bumble is actually the "Star" of the Republic, but that is one gorgeous rose. It reminds me of Caramel Antique. South Africa has such a stunning color, too.
    New to me is Spirit of Glasnost, Beth, and it is so pretty with those pink shades on such big, fat blooms, and Sanka is a lovely shaded rose, too. That's a great photo of South Africa. What a color.
    Annececilia, "wow" is certainly the word for all these lovely shaded roses of yours. So subtle. Love the shot of Sheila's Perfume, mirroring the cloudy sky. And those swirling petals of Sydonie, so lush.
    Well, I've about written a book on these beauties, and as I said once before, there is a coffee table book here of all your "beautiful best". Thanks for another wonderful trip through the letter S. Diane

• TNY78
    11 years ago

Beth--Love Soaring Sprits and Stunning are wonderful! I love the striped colors of Soaring Spirits and the packed full of petals Stunning, is well stunning! :)

Annececilia, that Sweet Fairy is just too cute! Having never seen it in person, I didn't realize how tiny it is until I saw if with your hand for reference.

Marina, I rec'd my St. Elisabeth from Vintage Gardens in 2011. I probably got a little over anxious and transplanted her into the ground sooner than I should have and she's kind of stalled out in terms of growth. I disbudded her all this year hoping she would grow. She's fairly disease resistant though, and her blooms are stunning (well, they were the first year when I let her bloom anyway!). You'll love her, I just think she's slow to get established. I was glad to see that you like St. Ethelburga, I have it coming from Hortico this Spring.

Tammy

This post was edited by TNY78 on Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 21:53

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    11 years ago

There are some really nice pictures posted here. Some of these roses are rarely, if ever, seen in shows. Thanks for sharing. I'll add some of mine here. The first is the climber Salita.

The next one is also a climber, Swan Lake.

The next one is Summer Song as it looked when it bloomed at least a month earlier than usual this year because of our weather. It has more color than it usually does.

Next is Sunsation, AKA Veldfire.

Next is Sir Edward Elgar, with a companion.

Next is a happy-looking Seashell.

Next is Silver Spoon.

Silverado, with some morning dew.

{{gwi:301247}}

Anyone else have Sterling Silver?

{{gwi:331084}}

Shockwave caught in some interesting lighting.

One AARS variety not frequently seen, but nice, Sheer Elegance.

A very prolific purple one, Shi-Un.

Lastly, an older AARS variety, the grandiflora Starfire putting on quite a show.

{{gwi:319738}}

I hope you like these.

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bustopher,
    You've got some extraordinary roses!!
    Love all your lilac roses, they are awesome!
    Could you please tell me what is the name of that lilac rose on the last photo? It is so beautiful, I think I can smell it!:)
    Marina

• TNY78
    11 years ago

Bustopher, all of your roses look so healthy! I don't see even a speck of anything other than perfect blooms and foliage! I think Silver Spoon & Veldfire are my favorites....and of course Summer Song (I went crazy trying to find it this year, but no luck!)

Tammy

• JuanaJennifer
    11 years ago

Hi
    Marina
    Wow wonderful! your garden roses is very pretty. I love these roses.

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    11 years ago

In the last photo, the lavender roses in the direct front are Chantilly Lace. The ones on the left side are probably Charles de Gaulle. They are not bi-colored blends like Chantilly Lace. Glad you are liking these.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

bustopher--they are all lovely, but I'm especially taken by Sunsation (love the yellow reverses) and even moreso Charles de Gaulle. Never seriously thought about getting a lavender rose for my garden before--now I'm wondering where that one might fit in. Thanks.

Kate

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    11 years ago

I am digging Sunsation!!! And Starfire, how large does it get for you?
    Thanks everyone for sharing.
    Marina--I cannot find St. Ethelberga in commerce. Groan.
    I'm going to move to Russia and become a Rustler. A Russian Rustler of Roses.
    Ha. I'm feeling silly. I think Spring is coming.
    Susan

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    11 years ago

Since I don't prune Starfire too heavily because as a descendant of Charlotte Armstrong it doesn't like pruning shears, it typically runs about 5 ft tall and 4 ft across. I generally have not been doing pruning back by more than half in the spring if I am lucky enough to get to do it. This last year was too warm too fast so I couldn't get the early pruning done. I had flowers at the end of March. I pruned many of the plants however I could after they flowered.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    11 years ago

St Ethelburga is available from Hortico. I almost ordered it, but just don't have the room. Missing out on all these beautiful roses is about killing me. Diane

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Susan, yes, Diane is right. St. Ethelburga is available for years from Hortico. I ordered one from them in November. It will be my third bush in the garden :)

Marina

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

Beth, love the color blend on SPIRIT OF GLASNOST!

Spring's a Comin' is gorgeous, Anne! Is that the normal form on Sydonie? Amazing!

Thanks, Nana! Strawberry Romance is a fancy one!

Bustopher, I've been in love with Summer Song but recently heard it isn't a very good rose. What's your opinion?

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

Thanks, bustopher. I'll take a look at LEH.

• Annie
    11 years ago

Stars N Stripes - a bit blurry, but loved it with the Violas.

• Annie
    11 years ago

'Shreveport'

• Annie
    11 years ago

'Simply Marvelous' - Floribunda I bought last year.
    Blooms are SUPER fragrant and as big as a Grandiflora.
    It bloomed all through the triple-digit summer heat and severe drought last year.

Prune and feed monthly to keep blooms big.

• Annie
    11 years ago

'Sundowner'

(new in my garden Apr. 2012)*

I love this very fragrant rose's bi-colours.

* Note: Ignore the date stamp on this photo - when I put in new batteries, I forgot to reset the date.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

sweet--I do like the additional "S" roses you posted--especially Sundowner and Shreveport! I love those coral shades.

Kate

• Annie
    11 years ago

Kate,

'Sundowner' ages wonderfully too. The top orange part becomes more of a colour like sherbet ice cream - yellow-orange - and the bottom part changes to a softer coral, like the sunset.
    It is a lovely rose, indeed.
    ----------------------------------------------
    Here is a better image of 'Simply Marvelous', taken in May of 2012. I wish I could upload her fragrance for you to sample, as well.

~Annie