Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carla17_gw

Morden Man, thank you

carla17
17 years ago

I want to thank you for posting Sweet Chariot. I have three with two more on order. I think Pappu posted some once but I haven't seen it much so thanks!

Carla

Comments (13)

• the_morden_man
    17 years ago

You are most welcome Carla.
    I had been trying to enable Pappu into Sweet Chariot for quite some time and I saw he finally gave in. Resistance is futile of course. :)

I am actually in the midst of cataloguing all of my rose photo's per rose cultivar onto CD's. Coincidentally, I am doing Sweet Chariot right now. If you like, I can post more pics on here tomorrow if you wish. I don't have tons of Sweet Chariot like I do some other roses, but i still have a good number.

Take care,

• carla17
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Okay, that would be great. I love rose pictures, I enjoy anything you want to show.

Carla

• the_morden_man
    17 years ago

Good Morning Carla,

As promised, here are the pics of Sweet Chariot.

The first set of pics are from a few years back when i had first year own-root cuttings (they root easily) growing in coconut fiber hanging baskets. They get big very quickly when grown in these containers and this first pic was taken at about mid-summer of that year.

{{gwi:1206813}}

{{gwi:1206814}}

{{gwi:1206815}}

{{gwi:1206816}}

The next set of pics are all taken from the Sweet Chariots in the garden. I have 5 altogether in various places with the two mostly pictured here, being the ones that have stayed in their location for the past 2 years. I keep moving the other 3 Sweet Chariots around to different locations as I make changes to the garden and add different roses. I love to use Sweet Chariot as a very fragrant edging plant since it has a wonderful myriad of colours that blend well with pretty much every other colour, has a nice cascading habit and tend to overflow somewhat when heavy with blooms, is super floriferous, self-cleaning and repeats well and of course, has a fragrance that wafts in the air and is to die for. Its hardiness and disease resistance are also very good too.

Here is SC last spring setting buds for the 1st flush.

{{gwi:1206819}}

{{gwi:1206821}}

SC starting to flush, a bloom of The Prince to the left on SC.
    {{gwi:1206824}}

{{gwi:1206826}}

{{gwi:1206828}}

{{gwi:1206830}}

These last pics are from late summer/early fall as the blooms become darker as they first open.

{{gwi:1206832}}

{{gwi:1206835}}

{{gwi:1206838}}

{{gwi:1206840}}

Enjoy and I hope this helped.

• carla17
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Wow. They are SO pretty. There must be 200 buds on that one or is that two? I love it in the hanging basket, good idea and it cascades nicely. The artemesia is perfect with the SC. Thank you for posting these. Now I'm excited to see mine bloom.
    Sweet Chariot is the first and only mini I own.

Carla

• niecey
    17 years ago

Hello Tim
    I'm going to say Whoa! to your gorgeous photos
    I'm speechless,drooling all over my computer.
    What beauty.
    I love them all,but the pic with the blue sky above
    is fantastic.
    Is SC a mini or a patio rose?
    Niecey

• carla17
    Original Author
    17 years ago

It's nice to know your name. I saw Patricia call you Tim but I wanted to be sure.

• michelle_co
    17 years ago

Thanks for the photos. :-) I have it ordered for Spring. It looks lovely!

Cheers,
    Michelle

• the_morden_man
    17 years ago

Hi Carla,

Yes, my name is Tim. :)
    Glad the pics gave you an idea of what to look forward too. I used to grow a lot more mini roses, but have gradually been reducing the quantity of them, as i find their disease resistance, on average, not very good. Over the past several years, any outbreak of BS in my garden usually started with an infected mini and then spread from there.

However, Sweet Chariot is one mini I will never be without. There are a handful of other ones too, but this is by far my favorite mini and one of my favorite roses, period.

Niecey,

Thanks for the compliments. SC is a classified as a miniature rose. I sent you an email a few weeks back. Did you get it? My email handle has changed as my company merged with another and there have been a few email issues. Let me know.

Tim

• silvergold
    17 years ago

Hi there. Very pretty rose. Tim, I'm assuming that it is hardy where you are? How about disease?

Thanks!
    Jenny

• the_morden_man
    17 years ago

Silvergold,

Yes, SC is very hardy for a miniature. In a mild winter, SC is almost hardy to the tips. In a severely cold winter, such as we've been having this February, I would expect it to die to around the snowline. But its been -36 celsius at times this February so pretty much all the roses except for the Explorer's, Parklands, Rugosas and species will do the same. SC can BS a little late in the season, but not to any extreme, at least not in my garden and climate. I have never seen it affected in the slightest by powdery mildew which can be very prevalent here in late summer/fall when the days are hot and dry and the evening cool/cold.

• silvergold
    17 years ago

Thanks for the information!

• User
    17 years ago

Beautiful I always think that it smells like pepper

• char_rose
    17 years ago

Man, I am so glad I ordered this rose. It is outside waiting to be planted. I am not sure if I want to plant it in the ground or a pot. I am thinking maybe a pot....

The reason I got this mini is all the ravs about this fragrant mini. Your pictures Tim certainly shows this little rose off to its full advantage!