Return to the Rose Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First roses are Frances Meilland

Posted by kittymoonbeam 10 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 24, 14 at 15:00

This had taken awhile to get comfortable as an own root but now is ready to go. These are my first HTs because I never pruned this rose. The big wide centers are different than anything else I have and remind me of the silk roses on ladies hats from 1910. SdlM has actually been going all winter and fast behind is Clotilde Soupert and Johann Strauss. Frances has a beautiful perfume too to match the pretty looks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First roses are Frances Meilland

Francis is an amazing rose - an ADR disease resistant hybrid tea with strong fragrance! Mine grew fast and bloomed last fall. I'm really looking forward to it this Spring. I would get more if I had any room at all!

o

These are imperfect but you can see what it's capable of. I can't wait to see the next ones open. I just had to post them here because they are the first.

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 24, 14 at 23:13

It's beautiful, Kitty! Are those oranges behind them?

o

Beautiful shot.

If you had to remove one, would it be Frances Meilland, Souvenir de la Malmaison or Johann Strauss? Why? TIA

o

They are Dancy Mandarin Oranges.

Well SdlM is very good here and does not ball and blooms all year and Johann Strauss is pretty much non stop with no disease. The only one I don't know well is Frances but it is looking like a really promising rose already. It's going to be another really tall rose even on its own roots. If I had humid weather or more rain, I'd probably not like it if the flowers of SdlM didn't open.

o

Thanks Kitty. I asked because I had considered Johann for a long time. I have yet to see him in person. When I saw Evelyn knew that spot was for her. But I'm still eyeing pinks for one more :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here