Here you see:
* Betty Prior (deep pink - left),
* the dainty little blooms of Heritage (front & center),
* Blush Damask (left bottom),
* Iceberg,(peeking through Betty Prior in back),
* Ballerina (back center),
* Simply Marvelous (far back- right),
* Lady Elsie Mae (way back center)
and peeking through the Heritage bush, you can just make out one of the blooms of Belinda's Dream.
There are several more roses in this garden.

I just added two new roses this past week: "Pristine"

This is my favorite garden most of the season.

(CLICK on photos to enlarge)

This post was edited by sweetannie4u on Wed, Feb 20, 13 at 16:19

Comments (36)

• Annie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Betty Prior rose buds

• Annie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Centenaire de Lourdes - fragrant and lovely

• Annie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

"Sunny" Knock Out with Irises

(CLICK on images to enlarge)

• Annie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

"Heritage"

Grown from cutting.
    Now over 5 feet tall and 3 feet wide. Such a big bush for these dainty little blooms. Blooms all season long.

I took dozens of photos of this rose last year.

The deep pink rose petals you see below Heritage are from Rosa, "Portmeirion".*
    I grew her from cutting. I moved her to another location two weeks ago because Belinda's Dream and Heritage overshadowed her. She bloomed, but just didn't grow much. Hope she likes her new location.

* (See the photo of Portmeirion below)

This post was edited by sweetannie4u on Fri, Feb 22, 13 at 17:12

• Annie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

"Hot Chocolate"

A powerhouse rose for blooms and fragrance. No disease problems.

• Annie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

close-up of another Hot Cocoa

- love the terracotta color

• Annie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

View from Upper Garden looking down to entry arch of the main Rose Garden. Old Blush, cl. & Ispahan grow on the arch.

You can see Tiffany through the arch in the Rose & Iris Garden. There are also Herbs in there.

The Roman Basket Arch was my birthday present from my mother last year. I was flabbergasted!

This post was edited by sweetannie4u on Sat, Feb 23, 13 at 2:45

• Annie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Another view of Betty Prior under the Black Japanese Pine..

The other Betty Prior rose I have is in the lower Rose Garden, in full sun (like the label stated it liked), but this one has way surpassed the other in growth and blooms. I guess in Oklahoma, in my gardens anyway, they like filtered sun, not full sun.

• Annie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Climbing Don Juan.

White-blooming Darwin's Enigma was moved from another location to grow next to Don Juan behind the Hebe statue. I want to remove the clothesline T-post. Just need help doing that. It will be quite a chore!

Due to our continuing drought and extreme temps, Don Juan died back almost to her base. I thought it was a goner, but bounced back the following spring and look at her blooms!

• Annie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Iceberg rose and Blush Damask in background.

This post was edited by sweetannie4u on Wed, Feb 20, 13 at 17:31

• Annie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ballerina and Iceberg with iris.

• Annie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

These cranberry-coloured Peonies and big yellow Irises are great companions with my Roses.

• Annie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

White flowering, "Darwin's Enigma" behind Hebe statue with perennial Fleabane and Rosa, Lady Elsie Mae below..
    Sunny Knock Out to right of statue.

• Annie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rosa, "Simply Marvelous"
    - blooming and loaded with new buds.
    Ballerina and Iceberg in background.

I could fill my entire garden with these three roses. I just adore their colours together.

(CLICK image to enlarge)

• Calamity_J
    11 years ago

WOW! So Lovely!!! Thanks for sharing all pics cuz I love the group plantings, they inspire!!!

• Annie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, thank you very much calamity!

I like to see roses in settings too. It gives one some perspective as to their actual size and form, both blooms and bushes. And it is nice to see them in their actual garden setting.

Close-ups are lovely, but they can sometimes fool us, like Glamor Shots of people -" it ain't necessarily so"...if you know what I mean.
    It exaggerates their size, for one thing. How can you know what they look like in perspective to their actual size in the garden setting? Or what their colour would be in the lighting and from back a ways. How do they look mixed in with other plants? Do they stand out, or disappear altogether?

Anywho...thank you very much for taking a look. Glad you liked them.

~Annie

• lesmc
    11 years ago

Loved these garden pictures. It is so nice to see garden shots because it makes me feel like I am IN your garden! You must have lots of space. The garden looks lush and you have a nice selection. Your companion plants are lovely,too. Feel free to post more pics...it`s still winter here and there is lots of time for the Rose Forum! Lesley

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

Your garden and roses are gorgeous, Annie!

• Annie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Lesley,

That is so pretty! What is the red rose clambering up with the Clematis? Beautiful combo!

~Annie

• lesmc
    11 years ago

Annie, the red and white climber is 4th of July with HF Young clematis growing with it. That red, white and blue thing going!! I have Armadeus growing next to 4th, and you can see a few red blooms in the lower corner. Both of these climbers are great in my 6a KY. garden.I have posted another picture with this. I really enjoyed your garden. You have done a wonderful job! Lesley

• Annie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh wow Lesley!
    Amadeus is gorgeous! Love that vibrant red. Is it fragrant?
    Your garden is just beautiful.

I have HF Young too in two area. Eye popper!

I like both of those roses. I like to have red, white and blue for Memorial Day and the Fourth of July, too. (lol)

Do they bloom in the summer, too? My gardens peak in April thru May, and sometime into early June. After that the drought and heat kind of cause rose production to go way down - not stop, but certainly not with the lovely profusion they have in the springtime.. I would like to have both of those. roses.

Thanks for posting your pics on here. I like to see how other people garden too and what they grow.

• Annie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rosa, 'Portmeirion'

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Description given on the David Austin website:
    "David Austin describes 'Portmeirion' this way:
    "This lovely new rose has deep pink flowers of a little above medium size. They are shallowly cupped in shape and of a clear, rich deep pink colour. The growth is not tall, but broad and bushy...just what is needed for the front of the border and for smaller gardens. It would, if required, make a good bedding rose. We named this rose for Portmeirion Potteries Ltd. famous for their Botanic Garden and other beautiful designs by Susan Williams Ellis. She has created a special English Rose design to mark the occasion. 'Portmeirion' has a strong old rose fragrance and is free flowering". Continual bloomer, petals 30+, Bloom 4-5""
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    I moved her to a new location so she could "spread out" and not be overshadowed by the taller roses around her. She deserves a front row seat.

~Annie

• Annie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This photo shows three roses:
    * Heritage,
    * Gruss an Aachen - (opens salmon-pink and mature to creamy white),
    and * Portmeirion.

I also moved Gruss an Aachen to a new location.. She is also a small border rose and was overpowered by Heritage. She is even smaller than Portmeirion, topping out at only 2-3 ft tall and wide. Blooms are 3-4 inches across. I grew her from a cutting, too.

She is an old rose (1909). She has small, dark leaves and few thorns. Listed as only having a slight fragrance, but for me she has a lovely fragrance - not heavy, but sweet.. Here in my garden, she prefers filtered afternoon sun as it is too hot in Oklahoma to grow her in full sun.

A very sweet little rose with an ARS of 8.9. .

This post was edited by sweetannie4u on Sat, Feb 23, 13 at 2:51

• Annie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Close-up of my 'Gruss an Aachen' and 'Portmeirion. Roses.'

This post was edited by sweetannie4u on Sat, Feb 23, 13 at 2:54

• TNY78
    11 years ago

Wow!!! You both are making me insanely jealous with your mature gardens!!! I hope one day mine look even half as good as yours do :)

Tammy

• Annie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Close-up of the Blush Damask.

This rose was one of my first roses. It is a very old rose ( Unknown origin - before16th century)
    Named after the city of Damascus.. Brought to Europe by the Crusaders from the Middle East. It was once used to make perfume. A great rose for making Rose Water, Rosary Beads, Rose Wine, and Potpourri.
    I have divided and divided and now have them all over the property. Like most Damask roses, it is a once-blooming rose.
    Very prickly branches. Super fragrant. Disease free and very hardy. Grows well in shade or sun.

• Annie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rosa, 'Ispahan'

Origin: Iran
    An ancient rose that still blooms in the sheltered gardens of Iran today.
    Very strong perfume of Myrrh.
    Rambler - spring blooming only, but blooms continuously for 4 or more weeks in my garden.
    No diseases, rusts or BS mildews. No insect problems.
    Can be clipped to form a bush or large shrub.

My favourite rose of all I possess and most cherished.
    I now have them growing in every garden on my property.
    . This picture shows the one of many that I grow in my gardens. This one is growing up on and over the arch that leads up into the Upper Garden. I planted one on each side of the arch so it would totally engulf it. As you can see, she is very robust and outgrew the arch, sending even more canes cascading down to the side out into the flower bed..

Blooms are easily 4-5 inches, many petaled - approx. 85.

Wish I could share her fragrance with you. The sweet raspberry pink petals shower to the ground for weeks. Quite the lovely rose.

• Annie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Close-up of Rosa, 'Ispahan' on this same archway last April 2012.

• Annie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

View of Rosa, "Ispahan' at the base of the Upper Garden trellis with Clematis, 'Nelly Mosier"

You can see she has only a few thorns, but these are only on the oldest canes closer to the ground. No thorns or prickles on the outer branches of her new growth where the blooms develop. Blooms last on the plant for weeks, but are not good for bouquets. Once picked, the petals quickly fall off, so I just enjoy her in the garden. .

• Annie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is Ispahan on the Upper Garden archway. looking down toward the lower gardens. The morning sunlight caused a glare.

• Annie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Since she is my favourite rose, here is yet another one of my beloved Rosa, "Ispahan".

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    11 years ago

Thanks so much for sharing Annie. Truly inspirational! I have Darlow's Enigma coming and happened by a Don Juan body bag. I will plant them together.
    I agree with you that closeups can be deceiving and it is rare that we view a garden's 'glamour shots'.
    Could you give us some idea of the size of your garden, how you went about planting it? Like TammyY I am just getting started with roses but have been perennial gardening for years.
    Lastly, what about foliage plants? I have lots of different herbs, heuchera, pulmonary, dusty miller. What do you use?
    Thanks again for sharing!
    Susan

• Annie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Susan,

I posted a new topic on Rose Discussion site for you and Tammy, specifically, but any others as well, who are wanting to know more about getting your garden going and the kinds of plants to grow with Roses.

Thank you for touring my garden.
    It's nice to have your hard work appreciated.

~Annie

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

Annie--so many lovely roses --and a lovely supporting cast also. Yes, I'm partial to garden shots too, but you're making me really miss my roses..

Kate

• TNY78
    11 years ago

Yes, I agree with Kate about the garden shots! When I'm rose shopping online I usually will go over to HMF and look at the pictures to get a good feel for how the rose can perform diferently. My favorite shots are usually the whole bush shots though...gives me the best idea of what the rose will look like once it matures.

TAmmy

• roserobin_gw
    11 years ago

Wonderful garden shots of what looks like an amazing garden. I love Isfahan.

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!