Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dublinbay

Show off your yellow roses--Part I

dublinbay z6 (KS)
12 years ago

Since we have quite a few pinks and stripeys, I guess its time to start thinking yellows and yellow/blends. I don't have too many, but hope you enjoy them anyway.

Here's a darling mini: Sweet Diana.

{{gwi:309005}}

One of my most floriferous: Austin's Molineux.

{{gwi:205463}}

Blooms in clusters: Well-Being.

I used to have Austin's Happy Child. Just love that bloom. Included here for old time's sake.

{{gwi:218935}}

I never think of this rose as yellow, but the official records always describe it as yellow with pink blush edges (or something like that). So here it is: Love and Peace.

{{gwi:332864}}

Now here's a true yellow: Golden Showers Climber.

{{gwi:288156}}

Is this a white/cream/pale yellow blend? Or a creamy yellow with lemon yellow center? I'm not sure, but it is a wonderful, disease-resistant, generously re-blooming rose with a large bloom: Elina.

{{gwi:220212}}

Wasn't sure if Buff Beauty was stretching it too far--though one source used to describe it as a buff yellow blend, but I always thought that was exaggerating.

However, next spring I will be able to add two more yellow Austins: The Pilgrim climber and Lady of Shalott (though I'm not sure exactly what color that blend is).

Hope you enjoy. And show me your yellows too. I actually love yellow roses, just don't seem to have too many for some odd reason.

Kate

Comments (33)

• inga007

Not too fond of yellow colour myself, but these photos are delightfull, more..more...

• inga007

I love these invites to show your roses. We get to see such good photos of everyones lovely blooms.
    Thanks for sharing .

• inga007

What a lot of "sunshine" Kathy.
    Thanks for sharing.

• inga007

Not too fond of yellow colour myself, but these photos are delightfull, more..more...

• inga007

I love these invites to show your roses. We get to see such good photos of everyones lovely blooms.
    Thanks for sharing .

• inga007

Thanks for sharing.

• inga007

• inga007

Thanks for sharing .

• inga007

Thanks for sharing.

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

Ooo! Great yellows, Kate! I like the way the outer petals are apricot on that Well-Being. Love & Peace looks more pink to me too but I think it depends on your climate. Maybe some places it's more yellow...like in the hybridizer's yard, lol!

Here are some of my yellows.

Dream Come True is usually deeper gold than this picture.

Golden Celebration
    {{gwi:299129}}

Golden Wings

Graham Thomas
    {{gwi:1207793}}

Hondo, another one that isn't very yellow.

Julia Child

I'll post some more later.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Seil, I love that pic of Golden Wings. Normally I'm not partial to centers (what are they called--I'm blank) exposed and contrasting like that, but that look is cool! Nice pic of Golden Celebration. Someday I'd like to see that rose in person--have only seen pictures of it.

Hope several more people have posted pics by the time I return here tomorrow.

Kate

• lesmc
    12 years ago

More, please.....

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I was looking through my pictures and came upon this one from several years ago. I guess Love and Peace does qualify as a yellow rose, at least according to this picture. When it first opens it has considerable yellow on its blooms. Maybe it is just that it becomes more noticeable and dramatic when the edges turn rosy pink and it looks more pink overall as a result? I guess.

Love and Peace--early bloom.
    {{gwi:277904}}

Kate

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

Do you mean the single roses, Kate? I was never much into them myself until I got Dainty Bess. Then Golden Wings found it's way home and I've added a couple others since. Even with so few petals they can be really beautiful!

Golden Celebration not only needs to be seen in person but it needs to be smelled in person!!!

Here's some more.

Madeleine

Probably the most famous one, Peace

A mini, Rise n Shine

Sunny Delight

Sunny Kordana

No longer here, Sunsprite

Yantai

That's all the yellows I have. Everything else is some other color with yellow in it so I'll save those for the other colors as they come up.

• TNY78
    12 years ago

I love yellows! Especially very full petaled and deep golden yellows. LOVE your Elina Kate...very full and globular...my favorites! Seil, I have Dream Come True ordered for spring, and your picture reminds me why I ordered it...also love your Golden Wings. I may have to look into that one. I don't have may singles.

Here's what I found....

Phyllis Bide
    {{gwi:1207805}}

This rose was suppossed to be Intrigue (obviously that is wrong...lol)So its my mystery yellow.
    {{gwi:1207806}}

Limoncello...so healthy!!!
    {{gwi:1207808}}

Julia Child
    {{gwi:1207810}}

Jeri Jennings (I wish I could get her to grow :( Jeri help!!!)
    {{gwi:1207811}}

Honey Dijon
    {{gwi:1207812}}

Glowing Peace
    {{gwi:1207814}}

Charles Darwin (my favorite scented rose)
    {{gwi:1207815}}

Carmel Antike Freelander
    {{gwi:1207816}}

Bleumenschmidt
    {{gwi:1207817}}

Allux Symphony
    {{gwi:1207818}}

Enjoy!
    ~Tammy

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oooooh, you people have such nice collections of yellow roses! I'm totally envious--and puzzled why I have so few since I really love yellow roses.

Tammy, your camera captures a very attractive shade of yellow in those pictures. I love them all. Glowing Peace is another one of those I'd love to see in person--so appealing in a picture. And that's got to be one of the most attractive pics of Julia Childs I've ever seen. As far as Jeri Jennings goes, I had two--both were very slow growing--and had enough disease problems that I finally adopted out one of them, but I like the blooms enough that I'll let the other one take its own sweet time growing--kinda off by itself where I can ignore it until it finally decides to join the others in vigor and bloomiferousness.

Seil, thank you for including my absolute favorite rose--Peace. I don't grow it any more because it is too BS susceptible, but I dearly love its blooms. I hope some others have Peace photos also--love to admire its many beauties.

Madeline sure is stunning in its colors, isn't it!

Kate

• bethnorcal9
    12 years ago

Ooooh! Yummy yellows everybody! It used to not be one of my favorite color classes, but I find myself drawn to yellows a lot lately.

Here's a few of mine:

ALWAYS LOVE YOU
    {{gwi:1207819}}

CHARTER 700
    {{gwi:1207820}}

EL DORADO
    {{gwi:1207821}}

ESPECIALLY FOR YOU
    {{gwi:1207822}}

FULTON MACKAY
    {{gwi:1207823}}

GINA LOLLOBRIDGIDA
    {{gwi:1200196}}

IRISH HOPE
    {{gwi:1207824}}

MAGMA
    {{gwi:1207825}}

MIDAS TOUCH
    {{gwi:1200200}}

PARURE D'OR CL
    {{gwi:1207826}}

PHYLLIS DILLER
    {{gwi:1207827}}

SULTRY
    {{gwi:1200202}}

TIVOLI GARDENS
    {{gwi:1207829}}

• sweetvenge
    12 years ago

Loving the yellows, they're so cheerful

Sunbright

Graham Thomas

Bee Knee's

Joseph's Coat

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    12 years ago

Yellow roses are not my favorite color, but every garden should have a few. Two that impressed me here that I've not grown or seen before are Yantai and Fultan Mackay, but they all are pretty. My contribution is Monkey Business. Didn't do too well in our heat and died during a very cold spell last winter (-7), but it showed promise for those in a milder climate (can the west coast ever NOT grow roses-lol?).....Maryl

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone!

Tammy, love that Lemoncello! They look like yellow butterflies!

Yes, Kate, Peace does bs dreadfully but I wouldn't want to be without it. Madeleine can get a to almost totally orange when it really hot.

Beth, you make me really miss my Always Love You!

Sweetvenge, that Graham Thomas is spectacular!

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Warm sunshiny yellows--love them all. Beth, Gina Lollabridgida (how do you spell that?) is lush and full--appropriate for her namesake--but I'm partial for blends and really like Parure D'Or climber. You have many very shapely yellow roses, Beth--do you exhibit?

Sweet, that George Graham pic is terrific! And the Bee's Knees. Love them both.

Seil--I'm afraid Madeline in her hot orange phases is just a bit too much for me.

Maryl, I like that golden shade on Monkey Business. Too bad it didn't survive.

Any more samples of yellow roses? We are still all eager to see them. : )

Kate

• jktx55
    12 years ago

Thanks for the beautiful pictures. I will be looking for some Yellow Rose bushes now.
    jktx55

• TNY78
    12 years ago

Thanks Seil, Limoncello was one of my many attempts to find a bloom similar in form to Mutabilis. While its not as "crepe paper" like, its a very low maintenance yellow. Wouldn't be without it!

Kate, Glowing Peace is a rose that is just as beautiful in person. For me it doesn't repeat very well (yet), but its still young.

~Tammy

Here's two more yellows I came across :)

Gingerbread Man - Not sure if he'll make it till spring(not too upset...its a little BS magnet!). He is potted by my back door and my Scottish Terrier keeps jumping up and sitting IN Gingerbread Man's pot when he's waiting to come back inside (guess he doesn't like his bootie getting cold on the deck!)
    {{gwi:1207839}}

Leprechaun: Starts out yellow, and ages to bright red. Really interesting rose.
    {{gwi:1207840}}

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Browsing through some old pictures again and came across this one--Gold Medal--spaded from the garden about 5 years ago. I no longer remember her offense--in fact, I remember her as a very nice rose and I'm sorry now that I got rid of her.

Gold Medal
    {{gwi:288161}}

Tammy--your Leprechaun is a cutie!

Kate

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

Oh, I like Leprechaun! I always go for roses that change colors, lol!

Kate, GM is another one for the thread on roses we spaded and miss!

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You're right, Seil. I should add GM over there.

This thread is getting kinda long. I'm going to start a red thread, but if anyone wants to add to this yellow one, feel free to continue it or even to start a Yellow, Part II if you have quite a few pictures to add. We'll come back and check if we see more activity.

On to the red thread--give me a few minutes to get it ready-- : )

Kate

• kathy9norcal
    12 years ago

Yellow, not my favorite color either, but the previous photos made me realize I like yellow roses much more than I thought!

Eureka, one of my best yellows. Apricot shades add to the interest.

Graham Thomas, pure yellow

Buff Beauty, buffy yellow

Honey Dijon, peanut butter yellow (?)

Honey Bouquet, pure yellow, fades to a cream yellow

Joshua Bradley, gold with orange highlights

St. Patrick, banana yellow, pale yellow, sometimes with green tinges (cast iron in heat)

Sultry, buff yellow with pink edges

{{gwi:262268}}
    Symphony, an Austin that is my favorite yellow

Another shot of Bees Knees, a mini I really love.

• TNY78
    12 years ago

Kathy, your Eureka is beautiful! I added one late season from J&P and it hasn't done well. I hope it looks like yours after a nice winter rest, or maybe it's just not made for the southeast. I also like Joshua Bradley, and your pics of st Patrick and Graham Thomas make me look forward to my spring orders...I have those two ordered :)

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

Ooo, Sultry makes my heart throb!

• phatboyrose
    12 years ago

Haven't posted in awhile so here goes

ST.PATRICK

GRAHAM THOMAS

• bethnorcal9
    12 years ago

Yumm!! Those ST PATRICKs are delicious! Mine never looks like that.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Very nice St. Patricks, but my heart really yearns for the Graham Thomases. Wish I had room for even one bush.

Thanks, phat. I like your pics.

Kate

• altorama Ray
    12 years ago

Wow, you all have some beautiful roses there. I have just a few,

Lady Hilingdon

Charlotte

Graham Thomas

Harison's Yellow
    {{gwi:216324}}

This is cheating I guess but Sally Holmes has some yellow
    {{gwi:275444}}