Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
the_dark_lady

Roses "W"

the_dark_lady
11 years ago

We are almost done with our rose alphabet.
Thank you, Beth, for your wonderful idea! I really enjoyed posting my photos and seeing so many roses, so many beauties.
My wish list is much longer than it was before participating in our alphabetical rose parade.

Well Being
{{gwi:1208101}}

White Cap
{{gwi:1208103}}

White Eden
{{gwi:1205591}}

White Gold (oh, how I love this rose!)
{{gwi:1205592}}

Wildflower
{{gwi:1208106}}

William Morris
{{gwi:1208109}}

{{gwi:1208112}}

Winchester Cathedral
{{gwi:1208114}}

Windermere (my ABSOLUTE favorite English rose)
{{gwi:312595}}

{{gwi:1208116}}

{{gwi:1208118}}

Windrush
{{gwi:1208120}}

Winter Lodge
{{gwi:1208122}}

Wonderstripe
{{gwi:1208124}}

Comments (21)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

These two pics may be my last two--unless I find something hidden away in a corner or something.

These two shrubs are planted next to each other and form quite a dramatic contrast. Wish I had a better pic showing them off as a pair.

William Shakespeare 2000 (Austin)
    {{gwi:218930}}

Well Being (modern shrub--Harkness maybe?)
    {{gwi:248650}}

That's about it. I sure do like Marina's pic of her Well Being--it is a lovely rose. And White Gold, William Morris, and Windemere are certainly wonderful--their subtlety of pastel shades is quite exquisite.

Kate

• TNY78
    11 years ago

I've also enjoyed roses by letter...great idea!

Lovely, Marina! I really like Windrush and White Eden...those creamy whites are just so delicate looking!
    Wonderstripe is on order for me this spring, I've heard mixed reviews, but its just so darn pretty :)

Tammy

Here's my "W"s...

Winchester Cathedral
    {{gwi:1208127}}

Wonderful News
    {{gwi:1208129}}

White Koster
    {{gwi:1208131}}

White Cecile Brunner
    {{gwi:1208133}}

Warm n Fuzzy
    {{gwi:1208135}}

Waterloo
    {{gwi:1208137}}

Waltz Time
    {{gwi:1208139}}

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Kate and Tammy!
    Kate, love your William Shakespeare 2000. How is it doing for you? Is your bush nice and full?
    I never had much luck with growing it, but I don't want to give up. Need to give it another try.

Tammy, Wonderful News, White Koster and Waltz Time are exquisite!
    I am glad you posted Waterloo. How do you like it? How long are you growing it? Is it a good bloomer? Decent repeat?

Marina

• TNY78
    11 years ago

Kate, really love Well Being! The red tones around the yellow are really nice.

Marina, I've been growing Waterloo for 3 years. Its incredibly healthy and repeats pretty well for being in one of the most shaded areas of my garden. You can see in the picture that it also has really nice deep green foliage, and blooms in beautiful clusters. This picture was taken a couple of years ago, so its grown quite a bit since then. Really reccommend it if you're looking for a rose to put in a difficult location. So far mine is only about 3ft tall.

Tammy

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    11 years ago

I just have one W contribution, a rose that was mislabeled (it was supposed to be Julia Child), but has grown on me. It took a few years of wild and crazy growth, plus blooms that faded too easily, but now he seems to have grown up into a lovely mature rose. The name is appropriate--Wild Blue Yonder.
    Diane

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    11 years ago

Ok, here's my grand finale as well:

Wanderin' Wind:

William Baffin:

Winter Sunset:

and
    What a Peach:

What this series of alphabetic rose posts has taught me is that I really, really, really need to get out there and photograph more. So many of my roses I have no photos of at all - not a one! And some were taken years ago and surely I should take some new shots. I will try to be more aware of photo opps this summer so that I'm ready for NEXT winter's "games." :-)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

Marina, I'm not sure what "nice and full" means applied to Will--probably not, but I don't hold that against him. He has his own unique shape--kinda sprawls outward so that he is wider than tall and some of those branches get so heavy on the ends when he is blooming that I have to supply metal plant supports under them. However, I rather like his spreading top--spaces the blooms out over a wider space. Maybe it depends on where you plant him and thus how prominent his shape is. Mine in in the middle of a bunch of other stuff growing so the shape probably is not the first thing you'd notice about him. He doesn't seem to like pruning very much, so don't try to prune him into a more conventional shape. He'll sulk. But do try him again--lovely dramatic blooms.

Wild Blue Yonder and Waltz Time above are very appealing. I must be in a lavender/purple mood today!

I didn't know Cecile Brunner came in white--I must check that out.

And I like the peachy shade of Winter Sunset.

Kate

• bethnorcal9
    11 years ago

Beauties all! Hmm.. wish my WALTZ TIME would do something!!

Here's my Ws:

WHISPER
    {{gwi:1208152}}

WANGUAFONG
    {{gwi:1208153}}

WILD BLUE YONDER
    {{gwi:1204593}}

WELCOME HOME
    {{gwi:1200205}}

WAIHEKE
    {{gwi:1199528}}

WONDERSTRIPE
    {{gwi:1208159}}

WESTERLAND CL
    {{gwi:1208162}}

WESTMINSTER PINK
    {{gwi:1208165}}

WHITE MAJESTY
    {{gwi:1208167}}

WILD HONEY
    {{gwi:1208169}}

WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE 2000
    {{gwi:1208171}}

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

Beth, I have no idea how to pronounce WANGUAFONG, but it certainly is an attractive and interesting rose. And I do like Westminister Pink and Wild Honey--very intriguing shades on that last one.

Kate

• inga007
    11 years ago

This is the second post that has an ad blocking the pictures. Does anybody else have that problem, or know how to remove the add? It doesn't have the normal x on the corner.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

inga--you can get rid of all those ads by downloading ADblock--it is free and easy to install. Just click on the link below.

A lot of us use it so that all those ads wouldn't drive us crazy. : )

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Free ADblock

• shillanorth Z4 AB
    11 years ago

My only W - Winnipeg Parks and a favourite of everyone who passes by.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    11 years ago

As we come close to the end of our rose alphabet with W, the beauties just don't let up.
    Marina, what a group of creamy whites you have. Well Being has such a rich, interesting color and structure. And the whipped cream White Eden, yum. I want to eat it! I must check out Windermere because it's your favorite English rose, so it must be outstanding. Wonderstripe is so unusual, and I love it.
    Kate, what luscious roses Shakespeare 2000 and Well Being are with their rich coloring.
    Tammy, your Winchester Cathedral looks like a giant waterlily, and Waltz Time is just lavender porcelain.
    Annececilia, What a Peach looks just like its name, a big luscious peach. I, too, have decided that I need to do lots more photography of my garden. I have no photos of the roses I grew at my other home, and I sadly miss being able to see a record of the roses I no longer grow.
    Westerland has a glorious color, Beth, and Wild Honey with its soft shades is so lovely.
    Shillanorth, you have a charming flower bed with those two Winnipeg Parks bushes. I love their nice rounded shape to set off the red blooms.
    Thanks, once again, for all the mouth watering photos. It's been a treat that has helped get me through the winter. Diane

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

shilla--Winnipeg Parks is absolutely outstanding! New one for me, but I love it and can see why everyone else adores it also1

Kate

• TNY78
    11 years ago

Shilla, love seeing whole garden shots! So pretty :)

Beth, my favs are Wild Blue Yonder and Waiheke...I've never heard of that one!

Tammy

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

shilla--I looked Winnepeg Parks up at helpmefind.com and have some questions. The blooms in their pictures look more dark pink than your blooms do. One poster there suggested none of those pictures had captured the correct color. Another said is was close to the Knock Out red (which I would call a cherry red). You pic makes them look more reddish. How close to their true color do you think your picture is?

Does that rose have pretty good re-bloom? Do the blooms shatter rather quickly?

I see that helpmefind.com rates the rose as very disease-resistant and both heat and cold hardy. Was that your experience?

Does the rose stay under 3 feet?

Thanks for any info you can give, Shilla.

Kate

• mariannese
    11 years ago

'Wartburg 77' is a yellow shrub my friend and I had from a German nursery instead of the rambler 'Wartburg'. The picture and description of 'Wartburg 77' on HMF were posted by my friend Helena.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    11 years ago

Wartburg 77 is exquisite and it's coloring is so subtle, Mariannese. Thanks for posting this beauty. Diane

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

Lots of lovelies here.

Anne, I enjoyed seeing What a Peach especially. I don't have it but got hips from someone several years ago. It was my most prolific germinator and I have tons of seedling from it. Funny thing is most of them are pink!

Some more Ws

Wild Plum

Winsome

Winter Magic

Winter Sunset

• shillanorth Z4 AB
    11 years ago

Thank you everyone for your kind comments. What a feast for the eyes at this time of year. dublinbay - Winnipeg Parks is an everblooming rose. Has very good disease resistance here in SW Alberta - very dry, humidity not much of a problem. The blooms last a long time and the bush is self-cleaning. I have six of these roses along the driveway - they are going into their 4th season - that photo was from the year after they were planted so they have filled out since then but still very well behaved. They are about 2.5 feet high and certainly do not go over 3 feet around here. It can get to -30C or more here plus added stress from chinooks and they have done fine. They were developed at Agriculture Canada`s Morden Research Station in Manitoba. That area experiences cold winters and hot, more humid weather than I get. The colour is eyecatching - I would say more of a cherry red - the vibrancy doesn`t show up in my photo. I actually went to the greenhouse with another rose in mind and was so captivated at first glance by WP that they came home with me instead. Hope that helps you out.

• Annie
    11 years ago

Many lovely roses . Too many to list that I like, but intrigued with 'Windermere' , 'Wanguafong', 'Wild Honey' and 'Wild Blue Yonder'.
    I've already ordered 'William Shakespeare 2000' and 'Winchester Cathedral', and thinking hard on acquiring 'Westerland' cl.

They are all beautiful .
    Thank you all for sharing.

Sponsored
Carl Williamson Designs, LLC
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Nationally Acclaimed Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz