Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dublinbay

Show off your Red Roses, Part I

dublinbay z6 (KS)
12 years ago

Hope you have some good reds and red blends ready to post. Unfortunately, my camera bleds red a lot and often brings out too much pink in the red--but I promise you that in real life, all the roses I post here are really and truly red, no matter what my (lying) camera says!

Gypsy Carnival (HT)-- was a wimpish rose its first few years, but finally has found some energy and is beginning to do itself proud. I just love the yellow reverses on the red petals.

Dublin Bay--obviously, my namesake. Very nice (and red) climber. See what I mean about my reds bleeding? That's Eutin down in the bottom right corner (see my next entry).

{{gwi:304872}}

Eutin (Kordes floribunda)-- solid, dependable, floriferous, disease-resistant. I've grown at least one Eutin in every garden I've ever planted. Has some hybrid musk in its background and kinda blooms in large clusters like a hybrid musk.

Eutin again--nearly at the end of its bloom cycle.

Braveheart--Clements shrub, and one of my favorite roses. Here is a close-up.

{{gwi:345474}}

Braveheart--the whole bush. Darn, wish my reds didn't run!

{{gwi:205465}}

Mother's Day (polyantha)-- little cutie. New this year and only bloomed once. Hope it picks up steam this coming season cuz I really like it.

{{gwi:215444}}

Home Run--an indestructible relative of the Knock Out series. I don't have a close-up, but you can see how nicely it marks the property line between my neighbor's and my front yards.

{{gwi:300146}}

Cherry Parfait--grandiflora or floribunda? Not sure. Solid dependable bloomer, but not the best photo of it. Must take some better ones this coming season.

{{gwi:288162}}

Can't believe it. I have no pictures of my Double Delight nor of my Chrysler Imperial. Help me out someone--surely you have some pics of them.

And please do add your other reds to this thread. We are going gawdy here!

Kate

Comments (42)

• inga007

Thanks dublinbay, for staring the red roses. Beth your "Blacks" are lovely.
    I had a giggle at Permanant wave.
    Nice of you all to share your boumty

• inga007

Have never seen Isolde Hit before.
    Love orange roses. Lovely photos, they all look, lovely and healthy

• inga007

• inga007

• inga007

• inga007

• kathy9norcal
    12 years ago

Red roses--I love them! Here are mine:

Ingrid Bergman, best of the best, heat resistant

Crimson Bouquet, blood red, heat resistant

{{gwi:233772}}
    Lavaglut, much darker in real life, impervious to heat, very small blooms

Mon Cheri, smells good to us

Gypsy Carnival (did better in pot, slow to take off in garden)

Priscilla Burton

Black Magic, very heat tolerant here. It gets canker and I prune alot off, yet it keeps coming back and getting bigger as the season goes on.

Hah, I almost forgot this one. Silly me.

Dublin Bay

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh, Kathy, I should have let you go first. Your red photos are so much better than mine. Just love them. So which of your reds is most disease resistant? I may be in the market. I used to grow Crimson Bouquet, but it had too much trouble with BS. Sure is lovely, however.

You know I adore your Gypsy Carnival--but almost leaving out Dublin Bay? Now, really, I say!!!!!

Anyone got a Double Delight and Chrysler Imperial for me?

Or any other gorgeous red. : )

Kate

• TNY78
    12 years ago

Kate, I have the same problem with my red photos. I just bought a new camera in an after Christmas sale, so hopefully my new pictures will be better. I love your Eutin! Its not one I've ever really considered, but now that I've seen the whole bush picture, I've fallen in love with it! And your front yard pic (with Homerun) is right out of a storybook :)

Kathy, Everytime I see Lavaglut I love it! I love roses that have huge flushes!!! Ingred Bergman is also beautiful!

Here's what I found...

Red Headed Stranger...heat resistant, doesn't fade, blooms last! ..slow grower though, so it needs patience!
    {{gwi:1208631}}

Red Sunblaze Mini
    {{gwi:1208632}}

Permenant Wave...not really a pretty rose, but very interestng and unique ...more hot pink I guess...oh well..
    {{gwi:1208634}}

My mystery red with its waxy petals...love it!
    {{gwi:1208635}}

A young Louie Phillipe
    {{gwi:1208636}}

Little Jimmy Dickens (micro mini)
    {{gwi:1208637}}

side shot of Rouge Royal..one of my favs
    {{gwi:1208638}}

Inkspots (also known as "blackspots" in my garden, but I like the color)
    {{gwi:1208639}}

The Dark Lady
    {{gwi:1208640}}

Christian Dior...my first named rose
    {{gwi:1208642}}

Black Ice
    {{gwi:1208644}}

Cinco de Mayo...a new favorite...healthy with no spray, and never without a bloom :)
    {{gwi:1208645}}

• bethnorcal9
    12 years ago

Well, here's a few of mine....

BLACK BACARRA
    {{gwi:1208646}}

ALLELUIA
    {{gwi:1208647}}

FIRE 'N' ICE
    {{gwi:1208648}}

KUROSHINJU
    {{gwi:293134}}

PAPA MEILLAND
    {{gwi:1208651}}

BLACK LADY
    {{gwi:1208652}}

BLACK PEARL
    {{gwi:1208655}}

DISCO
    {{gwi:1208657}}

MARIPOSA GEM
    {{gwi:1208658}}

PEGGY ROCKEFELLER
    {{gwi:1208659}}

OKLAHOMA
    {{gwi:1208660}}

SNOWFIRE
    {{gwi:1208661}}

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

Oh, you can never go wrong with a red rose!

Kate, love that Gypsy Carnival bud! I have Home Run and really do like it much better than KO. It's healthier and it blooms more!

Kathy, I WISH my IB had looked like that!

Tammy, Permanent Wave is a hoot! It really does look curly.

Beth, I think I might need to add Alleilia to my red/white collection!

Reds ARE the hardest color to photograph. Purple would probably be next. I've found it's best to always under expose reds. You can always brighten them in photoshop but once they're over exposed they're toast. There is no way to get that glare out of them. So take them on the dark side and then brighten them in post editing.

OK, here's a few of mine.

Albuquerque Enchantment

American Pride

Blaze

Caliente

Crimson Bouquet

Dick Clark
    {{gwi:271420}}

Here you go, Kate, Double Delight

Fire n Ice

Frankly Scarlet

Home Run

I have a lot of reds so I'll split them up and post more later.

• blendguy
    12 years ago

A couple of my favourite red(ish) English Roses...

Darcey Bussell
    {{gwi:1208541}}

Munstead Wood
    {{gwi:1208543}}

The Prince
    {{gwi:1208544}}

William Shakespeare 2000
    {{gwi:1208546}}

William and The Prince from my old garden in California, Darcey and Munstead from England. I love all four of these roses, each has something about its personality that makes it special; and we've just moved into a new house that has a Falstaff planted in the yard, so I'm very much looking to see how it compares.

Cheers,
    robert

• Krista_5NY
    12 years ago

Wow, incredible pics! Your red roses are fabulous!

Here are a few pics of one my favorite red Austins:

The Prince

{{gwi:241084}}

{{gwi:241085}}

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wowee! Our reds are gorgeous!

Thank you, seil, for supplying the missing Double Delight in my group. And please do post more red. Maybe by that time we will need to go on to Red Roses, Part II. I'm curious --Dick Clark is gorgeous too, but the coloring is similar to Double Delight? Or not? Maybe more yellow in DC. Are those two noticeably different looking in the garden? (And thanks for the camera advice.)

Don't know that I'd call Darcy Bussell or Munstead Wood exactly reds (though we'll let you squeeze by on it). The Prince seems a bit more red. But I am tempted to consider Munstead Wood for future purchase. It is something, indeed!

Beth, that is the nicest collection of black-reds I've ever seen. Must be a sight in your garden.

TNY78--love your Dark Lady, and the very different Cinco de Mayo.

These are really great, but we need some more. Bring us your Reds--we are waiting. : )

Kate

• TNY78
    12 years ago

Beth, I adore your Black Baccara, Black Pearl, Kiroshunju, ad Black Lady! I haven't been able to find ones that deep in color. I've tried Ink Spots and Black Ice, but they're still too bright. I'll have to break down and try Black Baccara soon...seems the easist to find out of the 4 you have pictured.

Always....love David Austins :) What's not to love...and I'm excited for Munstead Wood which I ordered from David Austin for spring!

• bethnorcal9
    12 years ago

Yowsers Seil! I LOVE that DICK CLARK bloom!! Mine didn't bloom at all last yr. I hope it does this yr!

Thanks Kate! I love the "black" roses. They are quite difficult to photograph right, altho my newer camera seems to do them better for some reason!

And TNY78, I was thinking INK SPOTS got dark blackish-red like these, but I guess not. I looked back at my old pics and it is a more red than black. But it's still a good rose, altho mine didn't bloom much last yr.

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone!

There are definitely differences between Double Delight and Dick Clark. DD is very white and red and DC is very yellow and red. Also DC is not phototropic like DD so it always looks like that. The red never grows or shrinks with the sunlight. And DC does not have anywhere near the fragrance that DD has. I was very pleased and impressed with DC's performance last summer and hope it winters well. It's one of the very few roses that has lived up to it's press hype!

Sorry to hear yours didn't bloom, Beth, mine bloomed a lot for a first year rose and they were good sized too.

• sweetvenge
    12 years ago

Love the reds as well, especially the white reverse one's like Snowfire, Fire and Ice and the dark black one's like Black Pearl, Black Lady

Sorcerer a mini

Opening Night

Velvet Fragrance

Double Delight

Black Beauty

Champagne Cocktail

• altorama Ray
    12 years ago

Oh jeez, each of you have some gorgeous reds there. I sort of stay away from them maybe, because for some reason I don't have many at all. Oh well, here are the few I have.

Pulnor/aka Jazz
    {{gwi:216323}}

No idea what this is, and I killed it besides

Fire Meidland (sp)

Rosarium Utersen
    {{gwi:226695}}

Ferndale Red China
    {{gwi:287405}}

I think this is a Paul Barden Moss

Maggie...a little red
    {{gwi:249487}}

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

Nice collection of red, sweetvenge! Love that Champaign Cocktail!

I really love Rosarium Utersen, Altorama!

Some more of mine

Although it's often more yellow than red it is classed as a red blend, Isolde Hit

Eh, the ubiquitous Knock Out

Love

Montana

Mrs. Robinson

Oklahoma

Red Intuition

Robin Alonso

Snow Ruby

Snowfire

Stars n Stripes

Tattooed Lady

Unconditional Love

Veterans' Honor

And lastly Zenaitta

• mantis__oh
    12 years ago

I think this is Black Magic. Alas, it has weakened in recent years and needs to be shovel pruned.

• mantis__oh
    12 years ago

Liebeszauber on Sept. 21. Rampant growth of canes in autumn is evident.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

These reds are gorgeous. I'm almost thinking I need to get another red hybrid tea again. They can't all BS the way Crimson Bouquet did--can they? Hmmmm.

Kate

• tmcdonald
    12 years ago

Stunning! Thanks for sharing

• jon_z6b
    12 years ago

I just love this thread. I keep coming back to it and dreaming of roses that I don't own yet.

Here's some more.

Chrysler Imperial

An immature bloom from a Papa Meilland cutting- does show the color of Papa Meilland (and Oklahoma) faithfully though.

My grandmother's old red rose. Sets hip so it's not Dr. Huey.

Fragrant Cloud and Camara (really more orange and pink than red)

Black Madonna - somewhat disease resistant in my locale.

And of course, my favorite, a Knockout x Oklahoma seedling

I managed to snag a 'Proud Land' from Lowes this year for $7. It's doing great as well.
    P.S. Give time for the pics to resize... don't know why it takes so long for photobucket to save changes.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Why jon, thank you for that lovely, lovely Chrysler Imperial--one of my favorites. Have no idea why I have taken no pictures of mine, but promise to remedy that this coming summer. I like your grandmother's rose also.

Kate

• kathy9norcal
    12 years ago

Jon, I have seen Camara at our state capital rose garden and each time I fall in love with it. I have never seen it for sale anywhere. I love that red-orange color.
    Your reds are amazing!

• lelamarie
    12 years ago

great roses. I am glad to see Gypsy Carnival. A few years ago Gypsy was being represented as Gypsy Carnival and I wrote a forum on the difference. The one problem I am having again in locating them. So if anyone knows of a place to pick them up I would be glad for the info. I agree they are not doing well in the yard and I am going to dig two of them up and put them in pots. One already bit the dust, literally. There is nothing left but a few dry sticks. I think I got mine at Regen Rose Garden in Freemont, California. Thanks for any information. Lela

• lovemysheltie
    12 years ago

Red roses make me swoon :) LOVE all the ones posted. I have a few I'd like to share.

Oklahoma

Chrysler Imperial

Mr Lincoln

Fragrant Cloud - not sure how to describe its color - coral red? But it just glows in my garden bed!

• jon_z6b
    12 years ago

I know it's silly, but I still get excited over first blooms. Here's a little tiny one from today.

(Knockout x Oklahoma) x Black Madonna

I just like it because it looks like it's going to be a double :)

• aubreysrose
    12 years ago

Ok, I'll play...

Don Juan (my best bloomer and healthiest rose by a landslide)

Rosie O'Donnell (she's so hot it's hard to get a good pic)

Double Delight (she's my fave, sorry if she's a little "been there, done that" for everyone else)

My ladies in waiting are: Oklahoma, Legends and Love. Will share as soon as the bloom.

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

Ooo, that Rosie's hot!

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

I only have two red roses- Munstead Wood, which I got bare root last summer and is barely hanging in there, and Showbiz. I find myself attracted most to the red and white roses. I love Cherry Parfait- I have Double Delight, but Cherry looks redder. I also love all of those red/white reverse roses- Snowfire set my heart on fire! Fire and Ice is another one, and Mariposa Gem is perhaps my favorite of them. Beth's black-reds are unbelievable. I would never even try one of those here with our heat, but I swoon when I look at them. I may replace the Showbiz I have with Lavaglut, since Showbiz don't like the heat and lasts such a short time. I am also looking at Don Juan- almost bought it today. Here's Showbiz:

{{gwi:567502}}
    Renee

• jon_z6b
    12 years ago

You have a beautiful garden hosenemesis... love it!

Alright here's a 're-take' on Camara... she's such a 'hot' color that it's hard to get it right. BTW, has a fruity fragrance.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This is great--we're still getting postings on this thread. Love all these reds--and that's quite a visual record we have here. But hey, keep it up. Can't have too many red roses, can we! LOL

Kate

• jewelie6
    11 years ago

Lasting Love

Dick Clark

• jewelie6
    11 years ago

Lasting Love

Dick Clark

• florentina78
    9 years ago

Rosa Grande Amore (Kordes - Noble Rose ADR nearly no fragrance) Long lasting very showy blossoms in finest red.

• inga007
    9 years ago

Lovely photo of a beautiful rose.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    9 years ago

Grande Amore is a beautiful rose!

The blooms on my Liebeszauber bush, which I have pictured have been a lovely red this spring.

• canadian_rose
    9 years ago

Here is Oklahoma - flower.
    Carol

• canadian_rose
    9 years ago

Love that Grande Amore!!!! What a fantastic shot!
    Lieb can sure put out the flowers - looks awesome!!!

Here is my Oklahoma - bush shot.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County