Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sara_ann_gw

Red Roses

sara_ann-z6bok
10 years ago

I have several red roses and for the most part I like them. They are not necessarily my favorites, but I love them in the landscape. Just going to show a few. I think I have about twelve varieties of reds. The first one is -

DUBLIN BAY - A good bloomer for me.

Comments (24)

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LIEBESZAUBER - This is a great rose. Later in the season it had a wonderful fragrance which was a nice bonus.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LET FREEDOM RING - This is a lovely red, no fragrance that I detected, but I like it anyway!

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

DROP DEAD RED - A nice red floribunda. It was a good performer all season long.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

VETERANS HONOR - For some reason this one got a slow start, but by the end of the season it was doing much better. It could potentially become a favorite of mine.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OLYMPIAD - I used to have this one, (I think this was in 2005) I loved the way it bloomed and the flowers were gorgeous, but it grew backwards. Here it was in its second season, but the next year it would barely bloom. Would love having this lovely rose again!

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

Wow, your reds are spectacular...especially that LIEBESZAUBER! I only have a few reds:

Firefighter

LoveâÂÂs Promise

Hot Cocoa

Mr. Lincoln

Rouge Royale

VeteranâÂÂs Honor

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pat - Thank you. I love your Firefighter, it's a wonderful red and hopefully mine will be a good one. Someone from my area recommended Rouge Royale to me, love it, but I can't get them all. Your Hot Cocoa is lovely, they're all beautiful. Pat, do you mind if I ask how big some of your hybrid tea and floribunda rose bushes get? Seems like I recall you stating that they got bigger than normal, just curious. I always enjoy seeing them!

This post was edited by Sara-Ann on Thu, Feb 13, 14 at 8:13

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

Sara Ann, I have a few moderns that donâÂÂt get very big, but most seem to love our heat/humidity here and get pretty large. I would say average is around 6 X 4, but some larger. I do hard prune every winter, taking them down by at least half to two thirds, but by end of season, theyâÂÂre back to being big.

• KarenPA_6b
    10 years ago

Sara Ann and Pat, your red roses are so gorgeous! I particularly love your LIEBESZAUBER and CI, Sara Ann. Your Rouge Royal is to die for Pat. I just love the form and color of this rose.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Sara, a lovely choice for of color for Valentine's Day! Love your Dublin Bay! Hope my rooted cuttings make it through the winter.

Love's Promise is beautiful, Pat!

Here's some more reds!

Black Cherry

Blaze

Caliente

Crimson Bouquet
    {{gwi:346138}}

Frankly Scarlet

Miss Flippins

Oklahoma

Patron
    {{gwi:330048}}

Robin Alonso

Unconditional Love

Veterans' Honor

Zenaitta

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Kousa, and thanks again Pat. Thank you Seil, I think you'll like Dublin Bay. I Love your reds. Frankly Scarlet is so pretty and your Veterans Honor is gorgeous. They are all very nice.

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    10 years ago

I do not grow many red roses but am partial to and love the deep velvety red roses. Here's Black Magic. The image does not do this rose justice as it is a deep dark red.

I also have Don Juan and Astrid Von Hardenberg. I am coveting Munstead Wood which is likely more burgundy/purplish. I just cannot bring myself to make the purchase.

You all have shown some beauties! Many are familiar to me from a past garden of mine and some are new.

This post was edited by desertgarden561 on Fri, Feb 14, 14 at 0:26

• ratdogheads z5b NH
    10 years ago

Lavaglut. An amazing little powerhouse of blooms. Deep dark crimson.

• bethnorcal9
    10 years ago

Great pics everybody!

Oooh Seil! PATRON is lovely! And VETERAN'S HONOR is gorgeous! I kick myself every time I see pics of it. I had it as a J&P test rose back in the '90s and I gave it away before they named it the next yr. I know I could buy one, but just can't seem to do it.

Wow look at all those buds on LAVAGLUT! nice one Ratdogheads!

Here are some of my reds...

BLACK MAGIC
    {{gwi:319733}}

CRIMSON GLORY
    {{gwi:1202962}}

GRAND AMORE
    {{gwi:1198914}}

INK SPOTS

KENTUCKY DERBY
    {{gwi:1208756}}

PAPA MEILLAND
    {{gwi:1206505}}

RED INTUITION
    {{gwi:345743}}

SCHWARZE MADONNA
    {{gwi:1205296}}

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

Oh my!!

That's a whole lotta red!

My favs (cause I always gotta do favs) are:

Sara Ann
    Chrysler Imperial - love the color
    Drop Dead Red - wow!

Pat
    Love's Promise - of course!
    Rouge Royal - sigh :)

Seil
    Black Cherry - there's just something about your picture that's captivating.
    Frankly Scarlett

Beth
    Black Magic - wow
    Ink Spots - so dark
    Schwaze Madonna - gorgeously dark

Thanks everyone!! Awesome
    Carol

• KarenPA_6b
    10 years ago

Seil, your red roses are amazing especially, Zenaitta. What a floriferous spray! Beth, the Black Magic is just gorgeous. Lavaglut is great too. So many wonderful red roses. I am in trouble.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Such a gorgeous representation of the red HTs available out there. A couple of my pics will be repeats, but I have a couple in the less common shrub form (and not just KOs) LOL.

Red Intuition--I'm always amazed at how floriferous and photogenic this HT is.
    {{gwi:329644}}

Home Run--makes a great hedgerow along the property line in front of the house.
    {{gwi:332471}}

Braveheart--this Clements shrub is right in the center of my garden--can be enjoyed from just about any angle!
    {{gwi:277659}}

My namesake (LOL)--Dublin Bay climber
    {{gwi:345168}}

Gypsy Carnimal (HT)--perhaps the most beautiful red in my garden--but it is the wimpiest/sickliest bush you ever saw!

Kordes' earlier floribunda with a bit of hybrid musk in its background which helps make it so disease-resistant: Eutin. I do wish they had come up with a more attractive name, however. Can you see all the unopened buds on it? I should have taken more pics a few days later also.

Well, I do have other reds--like Chysler Imperial--but that has already been displayed above, and I have a couple Austin 'reds" that are actually more pink/purple/deep wine--like Munstead Wood and Shakespeare 2000--but I often display them on these forums, so I guess I have nothing else unusual to show off. Hope you enjoyed these--I've certainly enjoyed the blazing reds on this thread.

Kate

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Some more nice reds Beth and Kate - Both of your Red Intuitions are lovely. I like that rose better every time I see it and if it's a good bloomer that makes it even better. Beth, I love your dark reds, they are gorgeous. How does your Grande Amore do? it is such a beautiful rose. Kate - I love your Braveheart, looks like a good one. And, Thank you Carol. I am so glad you are able to enjoy the forum and wishing you a speedy recovery!

• snowheather
    10 years ago

Love all the photos. My favorite roses in my garden are reds - but I am not good a taking pictures of them. I can't get the color right half the time. My top favorite roses in my whole garden are Veteran's Honor, Firefighter, Rouge Royale, and Black Cherry. Anyway, here are some of my photos.

First is Grande Dame. It has a wonderful fragrance and blooms a lot - not a very good picture.

This is a shrub Winshoten that I got when Cliff went out of business. It has a wonderful scent, too.

This is the hybrid tea Marilyn Wellen - beautiful rose, but no scent.

This is the HT Helen's Trust:

This is the floribunda Pete Musser.

And here is the rose that is the very best HT, in my humble opinion - and that of most of my fellow rosarians here - Veteran's Honor.

Here's Vino Rosso - not a good picture, but a lovely rose.

Here's my very favorite floribunda, and I have lots. It never stops blooming. It is Black Cherry.

Here is Perfectly Red. In the background, my Havanese "Salsa" is spying on the neighborhood through the fence.

Oh, and here's by favorite shrub rose, Paul Ecke, Jr.

{{gwi:231264}}

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

Everyone's reds are just beautiful! What a Valentine's treat to see them all together like this.
    (snowheather, your pictures look great...I have such a hard time taking pictures of red and dark pink roses)

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Desertgarden561 I missed your Dark Night, very nice. Ratdogheads, love your Lavaglut bush. Snowheather, what gorgeous reds you have. Love the Black Cherry, they're all really lovely. I am getting some ideas for some really good red floribundas. Thanks everyone.

• lesmc
    10 years ago

Snowheather...the Helens Trust is so beautiful. You are growing many roses I am not familiar with. It is such a treat to see all of these beautiful reds. There is something so special about a red rose. Thanks everyone for sharing. Lesley

• Parker Turtle
    6 years ago

Love's Promise

has kind of slightly black undertones

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm