Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dublinbay

SHow off your Orange/Apricot Roses!

dublinbay z6 (KS)
12 years ago

I don't have much to offer in this category, but some of our posters have been chomping at the bit waiting for this category to come up, so go to it!!!!

Orange and orange blends; some apricots are close--in fact, that's the best I can do.

Here's Molineux in an exceptional apricot mood--rather extreme, but Molineux does that sometimes--part of its mood-changing/color-changing habit. Austin shrub.

Here's Buff Beauty--well, a corner of it. The picture was really of the purple clematis, and Buff Beauty picks up apricot hues sometimes, but not always. Hybrid musk.

That's about it--and I haven't even got to orange yet! But come springtime, I'll be getting Austin's Lady of Shalott--think it might qualify better for this catory.

So make up for my deficit--SHOW ME YOUR ORANGES AND ORANGE BLENDS. I'm waiting in eager anticipation. : )

Kate

Comments (21)

• inga007

Absolutely WOW!
    I'm so glad there are so many of you, who share my love of orange roses.
    About a third of these I have never seen posted on this forum.

• inga007

Absolutely WOW!

• inga007

Absolutely WOW!

• TNY78
    12 years ago

Kate, do you know what type of clematis that is? I love that deep purple color!

I can't wait to post my apricots and oranges tomorrow when I'm back on my regular computer...i-pads are great, but not for posting pictures!

Tammy

• Krista_5NY
    12 years ago

Beautiful pics, Kate. I love the purple clematis with the rose.

Evelyn

{{gwi:205473}}

{{gwi:205474}}

{{gwi:215616}}

{{gwi:236844}}

{{gwi:217751}}

Sweet Juliet

{{gwi:234307}}

Liv Tyler

{{gwi:215618}}

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tammy, That clematis is Jackmani, although I can't remember if it is the older version or the newer version called Jackmani Superba. They always look identical to me anyway.

If you like purple clematis, also consider other large flowered ones like Rhapsody, Romantica, and Viola, or the viticellas such as Polish Spirit and Etoile Violette. I think I have all of them growing in my yard. I can never remember their names, however--unlike my roses, all 60+ of which I can easily name without even trying! LOL

Looking forward to those oranges and apricots. : ) (Hmmm--purple clematis would look great with them!)

Kate

• ron_and_susan
    12 years ago

Kate--Here is four of mine.--Ron
    The first one is Playboy.

">
    This is my second pic--Dolly Parton.
    ">
    This is pic number three--Cajun Firelight.
    ">
    The last pic is Esperanza.
    ">

• TNY78
    12 years ago

Thanks Kate, I've heard a lot about both Polish Spirit and Jackmani. I have 5 on order from Brushwood for spring, but no deep purples when I just looked back at the list (I'm like you, I kind of know the names of my other plants, but not like the roses)

Anyway, here's my oranges/apricots:

First, this a very off pic of Charles Darwin. For me, he starts out his traditional yellow, and by fall is more apricot. He's done this for the 3 years I've had him...
    {{gwi:1209336}}

Pat Austin, one of my favorite Austin's
    {{gwi:1209338}}

Mesmerized
    {{gwi:1209340}}

Easy Does It: love this rose!
    {{gwi:1209341}}

The Coxswain
    {{gwi:1209342}}

Tulsa Town mini
    {{gwi:1209343}}

Heinrich Wendland
    {{gwi:1209344}}

Charisma (need your sunglasses!!)
    {{gwi:1209345}}

Break 'o Day
    {{gwi:1209346}}

Apricot Princess
    {{gwi:1209347}}

About Face
    {{gwi:1209348}}

Summer Night (my favorite mini-flora)
    {{gwi:1209349}}

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

Molineux is a classic beauty, Kate! I like clematis with roses too. I have Paradise growing with the clem Ernest Markham. Dublin Bay was growing with Arctic Queen too but I killed my DB, boo hoo! I like them especially with the climbers that tend to get very bare at the bottom because the clem fills up the empty space.

Love that Liv Tyler, Krista!

Ron, I've been wanting Dolly Parton for a while but now I want Cajun Firelight too!

Tammy, so glad to see Easy Does It is happy for you. Mine hated winter and died.

This is the color I probably have the most of. I'm not even sure why but I do seem to keep buying them. I must like it!

For starters but I'll have to post in batches.
    Best Friends

Cherish

English Sonnet

Folklore

Fragrant Cloud

Granada
    {{gwi:271421}}

• kathy9norcal
    12 years ago

Oh boy, oranges! I love oranges/apricots. Here are some of mine:

Apricot Passion, also called Coral Sea

Chihuly

Citrus Tease can open orangy but soon moves to pink

Day Breaker

Eureka can be orangy

Heaven On Earth--opens orange, soon fades to a nice pink

Hot Romance

Jean Giono

Just Joey

Manyo

Marilyn Monroe

Pure Poetry

mini Gizmo

• kstrong
    12 years ago

Wow, like that Cajun Firelight so much I went to HMF to see where I could get one. . . . Waaaah, Johnny Becnel Roses was the only place and they've been out of the biz for years.

• ron_and_susan
    12 years ago

Kathy--I don't know if you had any dealings with Fortuniana root stock but I think K & M Roses in Miss. more than likely has Cajun Firelight on this rootstock.--Ron

• bethnorcal9
    12 years ago

Well, I think you should've done this as two separate threads. Cuz there's apricot... and there's orange! But whatever!!! Here we go.....

APRICOT - florist rose
    {{gwi:1209375}}

EASY DOES IT
    {{gwi:293136}}

FRAGRANT APRICOT
    {{gwi:1209376}}

HOLLYWOOD STAR
    {{gwi:1209377}}

JAN'S WEDDING
    {{gwi:293133}}

PRINCESS ROYAL
    {{gwi:1202900}}

ROSEMARY HARKNESS
    {{gwi:1199188}}

SISTERS AT HEART
    {{gwi:1209378}}

SOUTH AFRICA
    {{gwi:1209379}}

ABOUT FACE
    {{gwi:1209380}}

ALMOST SUNSET
    {{gwi:1209381}}

CHESHIRE
    {{gwi:1209382}}

CHRIS EVERT
    {{gwi:1209383}}

HALLE
    {{gwi:1209384}}

HONEY PERFUME
    {{gwi:1209385}}

IMAGINE

JULIE NEWMAR

SAFARI

SEVENTH HEAVEN

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Beth, you are so right--should have done apricot and orange separately. But since I grow almost none of either one, how was I to know you folks had gone a bit nuts over apricot and orange. I didn't even know there were that many oranges and apricots! (You folks must have "loud" gardens--ha!)

Think we are headed for Orange/Apricot, Part II, don't you?

Well, let me pick out a few of my favorites upthread.

Cheshire and South Africa are lovely--I like golden tones, with some apricot highlights. Honey Perfume belongs in there too.

Eureka falls into that golden category also, Beth--and Marilyn Monroe is lovely in her own way also. Don't know quite what to say about a rose like Hot Romance however--it is a gorgeous rose, but I can't imagine it in my garden. Same with Granada and Dolly Parton and Playboy--absolutely breaktaking--but don't they dominate everything within 20 ft? Pat Austin too. I mean like, Wow!! aren't they just too, too stunning?

I guess I incline more to roses like Cherish or The CoxSwain.

Tammy, that sure is a nice photo of Memerized.

Guess I'm going to have to work on my orange appreciation! But don't let my attitude slow you down--pile on the orange! Best way to get me used to it! LOL

Kate

• the_dark_lady
    12 years ago

I love this colors, too. Beautiful photos! Liked Kathy's Eureca a lot. What a gorgeous rose.

Please take a look at my photos.

A Shropshire Lad

{{gwi:1209390}}

Alchemist

{{gwi:1209391}}

Aloha (Kordes)

{{gwi:1209392}}

Ashram

{{gwi:1209393}}

Augusta Luise

{{gwi:1209395}}

Austrian Copper

{{gwi:1209397}}

Barock

{{gwi:1209399}}

Caramella

{{gwi:1209415}}

Chippendale

{{gwi:1197037}}

Elizabeth Stuart

{{gwi:1209416}}

Lady Emma Hamilton

{{gwi:1209417}}

Lady of Shalott

{{gwi:1209418}}

Madame Paule Massad

{{gwi:1209419}}

Michka

{{gwi:1199672}}

Papi Delbard

The Impressionist

{{gwi:1205396}}

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Help, help me--I'm swooning over Lady Edith Hamilton and Lady of Shalott and Micha and The Impressionist and Barok and ... and ... and ...

OK, so I'm not into the bright orange yet, but those apricot/orange/pink/golden blends do something to me, without a doubt! Like, gasp, so much bright loveliness.

dark lady, that photo of Ashram is wonderful. And I like the shape of it--different than any of my roses.

I think this thread might be getting a bit picture-heavy. How about if the next person posting orange roses start a new "Show me your Orange/Apricot Roses, Part II"--OK?

Thanks,

Kate

• TNY78
    12 years ago

Marina, as always absolutely beautiful! I'm so happy to see pictures of Austrian Copper! I added mine last spring and it never had a chance to bloom, maybe this yeat I'll get a little show! Also just ordered Elizabeth Stewart this past week from Angel Gardens on a whim since I haven't seen or heard much about it. Since we're in similar zones, I think it will do great here! Same for Papo Delbard and Kordes Aloha...they're coming this spring too!

Tammy

• the_dark_lady
    12 years ago

Tammy, you are going to LOVE Elizabeth Stuart, I can guarantee it! :)
    The bush is very full, with gracefully arching branches. Stunningly beautiful flowers, lots of them.

{{gwi:1209421}}

{{gwi:1209422}}

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lovely rose. And I really like those bush shots.

Kate

• TNY78
    12 years ago

She reminds me a lot of an Austin...I can't wait! Thanks for the additional pics!

• lovemysheltie
    12 years ago

Love them all but esp The Impressionist. I may have to get it for myself!

I only have 2 oranges - Autumn Sunset and Fragrant Cloud. Truthfully, not sure what color Fragrant Cloud is, it's kind of a salmon/coral/bright orange. Hard to describe!

Autumn Sunset

Fragrant Cloud