Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tny78

Do we have any "U" roses?

TNY78
11 years ago

I figure I'd start the "U" thread, since I'm guessing it will probably be a short one. I don't own a single "U" rose, but I do have an "Unidentified" found rose growing in an old lot behind my house...that's as close as I could get to a "U" Maybe if you don't have any "U" roses, you do have some unidentified roses too!

This is actually the rose that got me into OGRs. When I bought my house in 2007 this one was growing in the middle of some brush in a lot behind my house. My house was built in 2001, but the house on the lot behind me is probably over 100 year old, so who knows how long this rose has been there :) Kind of exciting...and so pretty!

Tammy

{{gwi:1209447}}

Comments (12)

• the_dark_lady
    11 years ago

Tammy, gorgeous Unidentified beauty!

Yes, not so many U's here. I will show mine:

Uetersens Rosenkonigin

Umbra
    {{gwi:1204642}}

I have lots of 'Unidentified', too. Just a few of them. May be somebody recognizes one or two...

This post was edited by the_dark_lady on Fri, Feb 8, 13 at 9:32

• inga007
    11 years ago

Love all the Unidentified beauties. hope you get some of the names.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    11 years ago

All these mystery beauties are every bit as gorgeous as their identified sisters. The second yellow rose with the spiral, unopened center reminded me a bit of Julia Child, and the light apricot below it looks a little like Tamora. The fourth rose down, a dark pink with darker center is just stunning and one of my favorites. I hope some of mysteries end up being named. They are certainly worthy. How did you acquire yours, Marina? Diane

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

No "U" roses--not even "unidentified" ones. : (

Love all the unidentified ones above--some real beauties in there. Sorry--don't recognize any of them.

Kate

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    11 years ago

I only have a couple of "U" roses, but the pictures aren't all that great. The first is an OGR, Unique Panachee.

The other one is a shrub/climber, Ulmer Munster. It is actually a very good red rose for me.

That's all I have for this group.

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

Great idea, Tammy, and I love your unidentified rose!

Marina, you have a nice collection of un-IDed roses too!

I do have one U, the mini moss Unconditional Love

And this is my only unidentified one. It's a rooted cutting I did of my Aunt Gloria's rose bush. She's had it since some time in the late 1950s and can't remember any more what the name was so I just named it after her.

Aunt Gloria's Rose

We've had guesses of Chrysler Imperial and Charlotte Armstrong but no sure thing yet.

• TNY78
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's three more of my "unknowns" This is kind of fun, except I don't have any guesses for anyone elses unknown roses!

Tammy

{{gwi:1209472}}

I thought maybe this was Rouletti for awhile, but now its gotten too tall :(
    {{gwi:1209473}}

This one was a mislabeled Lavender Pinnochio. Its a once bloomer...Maybe The Bishop?
    {{gwi:1209474}}

• bethnorcal9
    11 years ago

Beautiful roses everybody! I have one "U" rose, UNICEF, but no pics so far. I do have a bunch of unidentified roses, but none worth posting! LOL

• mariannese
    11 years ago

I have many Unknowns but only one proper U rose, Tantau's climber 'Uetersener Klosterrose'. I posted another picture of it in October.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

Seil, I meant to tell you earlier that I really like your "Aunt Gloria rose"--whatever its name should be!

And Mariannese--your Tantau climber is a delicate beauty, indeed!

Kate

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    11 years ago

I love your Tantau climber, too, Mariannese, and wish more of their roses were available over here. Diane

• iris_gal
    11 years ago

Super delicious show of everyone's roses!!!

DarkLady, the only one I'm positive about is #6 - overlapping pointed petals pink sherbet blend.

#5 - Charles Darwin ?

#6 - Samaritan aka English Sonnet aka King Arthur aka Lawrence of Arabia

#10 - irreg red -- one of the Rennaisances, Isabelle or Nadia -- Fisherman's Friend ?

#12 - pink apricot blend -- Alychemist ?

#13 - is this the same as #6 ?

Last one #15 - lt. pink -- Pink Gruss an Aachen or A Generous Gardener