Return to the Rose Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question on Rose Fragrance

Posted by Deeby 9b (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 28, 14 at 0:02

Years ago in the yard of a house I lived in at the time, there was a rose bush that was red and yellow flowers. It was gorgeous but had no fragrance at all. Is that normal for some roses or was it a mutant?
Also, why don't miniature roses have any fragrance?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question on Rose Fragrance

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 28, 14 at 15:34

There are many roses that don't have any fragrance. It's not unusual. There was a long period when breeders did not care about the fragrance as much as they did about the form of the rose, that perfect high centered, spiraled florist rose look. They effectively bred out the fragrance on a lot of the modern hybrid teas. They also were not particularly concerned about things like disease resistance either, since most people sprayed regularly, and a lot of those roses are very disease prone. As times have changed and those things have become important again so now they are working on breeding back in both the scent and the better health qualities. There are quite a few newer ones available that are beautiful, healthy and fragrant!

o

Thank you. That rose was beautiful, each flower red and yellow, and looked like a fiery sunset, but I personally don't see the point in a scentless rose.
This too was weird-the oleanders had no fragrance either.

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 29, 14 at 12:09

Conditions may have an affect on scent too. Soil, temperature and humidity will come into play on scent. And sometimes even the time of day makes a difference. On top of all that everyone's nose is different and what I might think is a strong fragrance may only be slight to you. Or you may think something smells wonderful when I think it reeks. It's very subjective.

o

I Googled, and there are oleanders without scent. I personally love the sweet Play Doh-like fragrance of oleander.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here