Return to the Rose Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
??from very novice rose grower

Posted by dixiedumplin 7a (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 5, 12 at 2:08

I am at my wits end trying to find a type of rose to grow along side my garage. I'd like it similar to the one I already have that's beside my house. I have no idea when I planted it, where I purchased it or what kind it is. It's about 5 or 6 feet tall, fits nicely against the wall, has red blooms almost constant from spring to frost. It's a single bloom and is self-cleaning. Has to be very hardy because it has been neglected for several years. A few years ago I was deeply into researching roses and could probably have found something comparable but that interest passed and I got into daylilies. I know I've given you little to go on and I'm not asking for specific cultivars....just a general type to go looking for. Any tip you can give me will help since I have no other ideas. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ??from very novice rose grower

Might be one of the Knock Out Roses--they are very popular because they are very easy to take care of. Any local garden center probably carries them.

Kate

o
novice rose grower! I think my roses are sick! :(

Hi! some days ago I got two potted roses, one of them is a floribunda rose and the other one is a hybrid tea rose, they are young and still don't have flowers. Yesterday I noticed that the leaves are turning a lil red and this worries me. Reading on the internet I found that there's some disease called Rose Rosette disease but I am not sure if my plants got this, I want you to please loook at my pictures and help me to find if there is soemthing wrong with my plants or it is just the normal colorotaion they have as a protection against UV rays. Thank you for ur time and help!!

Here is a link that might be useful: My pictures in Flickr

o

Francy, it is best to make your own post to get replies. I looked at your rose photos. I am not an expert but many roses start out with red growth and then as the leaves get slightly older, the leaves turn green. It often happens with roses that have some red coloration. I would not worry but if you still are, make your own post and ask the question.

o

dixiedumplin - if you google Help Me Find /roses, you will find a site where you can search for particular roses.

If I was looking for a red rose with single blossoms, I would start with Altissimo - if you look it up and click on "photos" you will see lots of pictures if it, and you can tell if it is the same or similar one to the one you have beside your house.

Jackie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here