Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
the_dark_lady

Seedlings are about to bloom

the_dark_lady
11 years ago

My seedlings are about to open their first blooms. One of my dogs knocked down my well-organized packets of seeds and 'played' with them. So, now I don't know whose babies I am growing. They are all 'Assorted Roses' :)

Here are four of about a dozen with flower buds:

This one has the largest bud (about 1/2")

This is of nice bright red color, but shows proliferation in the center

This is the darkest of all. Almost black

And this one has very interesting deeply serrated foliage and cluster of buds (I counted seven!). And this is just the first flowering. I think, it is very promising

Comments (34)

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Also have this baby. Very 'bushy', has five flower buds, one in each lateral. Extremely good looking seedling.

• inga007
    11 years ago

Good growing.
    Lovely little buds, hope they bloom soon.
    Looking forward to your posts.

• bethnorcal9
    11 years ago

Very cool Marina! Are these intentional crosses or OP seedlings? I love the looks of that nearly black one!!!

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Beth, all of them are OPs.
    Yes, the black one looks really intriguing, can not wait to see it open.
    Marina

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The darkest seedling opened up a bit. I almost have no doubts that this is 'Ebb Tide's baby.

This post was edited by the_dark_lady on Sun, Mar 17, 13 at 16:34

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

Congrats! They're beautiful! Now you'll have to start doing some of your own crosses.

• canadian_rose
    11 years ago

I just responded to this at the propagation site. But it didn't have the opening buds (last 3).
    Man are they ever gorgeous pictures!!
    Wow!! Talk about lovely.
    Is there any scent?
    Way to go!!!
    Carol

• TNY78
    11 years ago

oh wow! This is actually really exciting :) What other possible parents are there for the other ones you posted?

Tammy

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you very much, Sail, Carol and Tammy!
    Carol, yes, that dark purple seedling smells really good - fresh rose and hyacinth fragrance, very pleasing.
    It shows more and more resemblance with its parent.

Tammy, I wish I knew who the other parents are. May be when the flowers open, it becomes obvious?...

I have two more seedlings about to open their flowers, they look like siblings to me - same growth habit (very bushy), with lots of flower buds (one has five, the other eight), the color looks the same.
    This is how one of the buds looks this morning.

• harmonyp
    11 years ago

The purple bloom is out of this world! Please show photos as it continues to open. Is it to early to beg for a cutting in a few years when it's mature enough!

• bethnorcal9
    11 years ago

It's a lot of fun doing the OP seedlings. I have a bunch from last yr that didn't bloom and I'm dying to see them do so this yr. I have a few from about 3yrs ago, and most just look a lot like their mamas. Two of them are from GUY SAVOY and they mostly look the same, but maybe a bit less striping. But I have one that was from BROADWAY that ended up striping after the first bloom. I think it got pollinated by one of the roses in the stripey bed next to BROADWAY's bed.

Marina, how do you get so many buds on the first blooming? Most of the ones I've done don't even bloom the first season. They stay so tiny too. Do you fertilize these little babies when they're so young? I don't, but I'm thinkin' maybe I should.

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Harmony, thank you very much! I hope this baby will not disappoint later in season. You are more than welcome with cuttings, if rose proves to be worthy:)

Beth, yes, I do feed them with very diluted fish fertilizer (Neptune's Harvest).
    The flower is changing very fast (probably not a good sign, but what to expect from a parent like Ebb Tide). This is how it looks right now

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

Marina, that's gorgeous! Are those stripes on the petals?

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Seil, it looks like darker purple veining over lighter purple. Looks nice, doesn't it?
    I am feeling so foolish going back to my shelves with seedlings and checking them every hour:)))
    Marina

• sidos_house
    11 years ago

Beautiful, Marina! Are you growing your seedlings in a greenhouse?

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sidos, thank you!
    I have a shelving unit (bought from Home Depot or Lowe's) with shop lights suspended from the shelves above.

I have it in our laundry room where it is cooler than in the house (around 65-67F).

This post was edited by the_dark_lady on Mon, Mar 18, 13 at 14:53

• canadian_rose
    11 years ago

And it's fragrant too!! If it turns out as good as it looks - will you try to get it to market - or is that too tough of a go?
    Wow!
    Carol

• TNY78
    11 years ago

You are much more organized than me! Lol...I have my little plastic cups mixed in with 1g and 1qt containers ...its just a big hodgepodge! Hopefully aat the new house I'll have a better set up :)

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

That's a really nice set up, Marina. Mine is a mess, lol!

• sidos_house
    11 years ago

Thanks, Marina, for showing us your seedling set-up. It's inspiring. I haven't tried growing roses from seed yet but I have hundreds of other seedlings growing all over the house. In the laundry room too. Your method looks much more manageable.

If you keep this up, growing these amazing seedlings, along with your existing collection, your home will be completely hidden by beautiful roses: like Sleeping Beauty's castle. :)

This post was edited by Sidos-House on Tue, Mar 19, 13 at 18:46

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sidos, I already have over 2000 rose bushes in the garden, so Sleeping Beauty does not have much time to sleep:))))

• TNY78
    11 years ago

2000? Oh that makes my 600 seem like nothing :) I have to show my husband your post!

• sidos_house
    11 years ago

Tammy, I was thinking the same thing. Not that I have anywhere near 600 roses much less 2000. I could see it happening some day though. :)

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tammy and Sidos, and I will not show my husband your posts!!! :)

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    11 years ago

That dark purple one is striking. Please share some more as you are able.

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Took a day trip to Roses Unlimited to pick up my Spring order. Of course, found there a few 'extras' in addition to my order:)

Came home after 9pm and checked my babies for progress.

I've got two today. The color is very interesting - light purple/mauve/dark rose. The fragrance is to die for - pure rose attar. Strong and sweet.

This one has eight buds on the bush, but only one opened today.

This one has five buds on the bush, the flower is much larger and it looks like it has more petals, too. Probably tomorrow will open completely.

• TNY78
    11 years ago

I like the green eye on the top photo very pretty....do you think this is one of your Ebb Tide babies?

• sidos_house
    11 years ago

Just magical, Marina!

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tammy, I think you are right - they do look like Ebb Tide's babies.

Thank you, Sidos! Love them, too.
    Here is that second bloom, opened more this morning.

This post was edited by the_dark_lady on Thu, Mar 21, 13 at 10:23

• harmonyp
    11 years ago

I want to try to propagate this year (yes, talking about roses ;) If someone asked me what my ideal result would be, you've just pictured it.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

This has been the most fascinating thread. Everyone one of those luscious purple blooms comes from a seedling I would happily buy if it were in commerce. Thanks for these beautiful photos and info on what you and your seedlings are doing. Diane

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am a little behind with posting progress on my babies. OK, it's a catch up time:)

I have couple of interesting ones from 'Blue for You', both have that warm clove fragrance.

This seedling is of very delicate blend of white/green/pink. It holds to it's cup shaped bloom for over a week.

This one is a few days from opening

One of 'Ebb Tide's babies gave me another flower.

This one is from it's sibling

This pink flower might be from 'Quietness'

I already planted all the babies in the ground. Will be interesting to see them blooming again.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Wow! is all I can say. I love every one of your seedlings, and you have some really unusual ones, particularly the cup shaped one. Diane

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    10 years ago

Marina, your talents are truly amazing! Thank you for sharing them with us. Just gorgeous and exciting too.
    Susan

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists