Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
twohuskies

Ramblin Red 4 Digger Dave

twohuskies
17 years ago

Hey Dave these are for you! Didn't mean to shock you with a picture of SNOW in the other post....

{{gwi:242861}}

Comments (14)

• zeffyrose
    17 years ago

WOW---that is a showstopper.

Very pretty.

Florence

• ronda_in_carolina
    17 years ago

I bet your neighbors love you!!

• celeste/NH
    17 years ago

Laura...
    That is truly spectacular!! I have been thinking about ordering this one (too late for this year...already placed all my orders)... but I think I'll have to get one next year!! Do you protect it at all, and is there much dieback if you don't? How old is that bush?

Celeste

• jean_ar
    17 years ago

WOW; That is simply gorgeous.Really beautiful.

Jean

• diggerndeb
    17 years ago

Fantastic! I'm chomping at the bit to get the rascal now. RR does remind me of my old climbing Crimson Glorys. Thank you for posting them.

• niecey
    17 years ago

Whoa!
    Spectacular!
    It's definitely a showstopper
    What a beauty.
    Niecey

• twohuskies
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Celeste - my notes show that I planted RR in June 2004. I do nothing to winter protect and have had just a little tip dieback. Last year (or the year before?) I lost a few canes but they had been late season growth and did not get a chance to mature and harden off properly. Mine is in a prime location getting sun from the beginning to end of the day. Also, 7 years ago a huge elm tree was removed from that corner of the yard so there are tons of rotting tree roots to keep the worms happy.

Thanks everyone for the kind comments. I'm always shocked to see how nice climbers look in the warmer zones. We cold zoners have such a limited number of hardy climbers. Of course I think Ramblin Red is among the best given my experience with it.

• lesdvs9
    17 years ago

What a beautiful splash of color that rose is! I love the roses wrapped around the fence top:) That's quite a photo!
    Leslie

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    17 years ago

What a great specimen you have there, Twohuskies! I've had about the same experience in hardiness as you have with late season growth dying back on my two but otherwise RR looks very promising as a cane hardy climber in zone 4. I can never get over the amount of bloom they pump out and I can spot RR in my back yard from 1/4 mile away when I drive down the road. It really is eye catching, and disease resistant to boot.

Anne

• djupdiva
    16 years ago

Ramblin' Red was the right choice, then! I just bought one 1/2 off from Linder's Garden Mart, my first-ever climber. It sounds like I won't even have to cross my fingers this winter.:-)

• nickelsmumz8
    16 years ago

And I suppose you are going to tell us it is a once bloomer. Some of those have the most amazing flamboyant lush displays. It almost makes me wish I lived somewhere with a short growing season so they made more sense.

• paulieinct
    16 years ago

Great shots. I have been raving about this rose to anyone who will listen. Simply the best red climber for North. Possibly the best climber of ANY color, it is so vigorous and reliable. Repeat bloom too. I bought four more bare root, potted them up, and am giving them to my favorite people. -Paul

• twohuskies
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well RR isn't looking quite that good this year. I lost about 1/2 the canes for some reason over the winter. The previous 2 years it came through fine. The remaining canes are blooming their heads off but it's not smothering the fence like it used to. And it has already grown several new replacement canes that are approaching 6 feet. Even with the damage it suffered I still woudn't hesitate to recommend it to people in my zone.

djupdiva - you will be happy with RR and you really can't go wrong with 1/2 off from Linders. I made it to their sale yesterday too. No roses for me but I got 5 clematis.

• stephanotis_1
    16 years ago

How would this rose do in the southwest? I am looking for a rampant rambler do grow along a fence in full sun. It has to be heat hardy, be a repeat bloomer, and be a vigorous grower. If not Ramblin' Red, any suggestions? No more pink. I have 7 Zephirine Drouhins already!