Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tammy_owens9081478

Post your Austins...pic heavy

Tammy Owens
15 years ago

Post pics of your Austins. Here are a few from my garden

Sweet Juliet: And she is sweet, disease resistant, and slow repeat.

Tamora: By far one of my favorites. does bs some but her blooms are worth it

{{gwi:245895}}

Mary Rose: I wouldn't have a garden without her

{{gwi:315332}}

Notice the light pink/white bloom: that was really cool

I can't remember which one this is. Heritage I think.

My newest is Janet

I still have to get the pics of Windermere and Sharifa uploaded. I need some red Austins I think and a few yellows too.

Tammy

Comments (86)

• peachiekean
    15 years ago

Scepter'd Isle

• peachiekean
    15 years ago

Love the Austins!

Pretty Jessica

Tea Clipper

Teasing Georgia

Lilian Austin

William Shakespeare 2000
    {{gwi:230325}}

Eglantine

Jude the Obscure
    {{gwi:236157}}

Tamora

Pat Austin

• gnabonnand
    15 years ago

Celeste & Peachiekeen, great shots of your 'Pretty Jessica'.
    In fact, all these photos are great.

Randy

• judith5bmontreal
    15 years ago

All I can say is....wow! I have a few in my garden (already posted, though) and more on the way this spring. Can't wait!

Judith
    sharifa asma
    {{gwi:321178}}
    crocus rose
    {{gwi:245802}}
    tamora
    {{gwi:235802}}
    abe darby

pretty Jessica
    {{gwi:260487}}
    Evelyn
    {{gwi:307380}}

• iris_gal
    15 years ago

Someone asked about Abraham Darby living up to all the hype.

It was my 2nd Austin. The heavenly fragrance wafts into my nearby bedroom window and that I appreciate!!!

Tho I think it is a matter of personal preference. If you love apricot roses that are not needed for bouquets, and you have plenty of space, you will enjoy Abe. Blossoms are large and consistantly attractive. For me only, it gets an 8 out of 10. Evelyn gets my 10.

• mctavish6
    15 years ago

I have not posted here before (I hang out at the hosta forum) but I really enjoyed all the pictures of the beautiful roses. I don't live in the best climate for roses - cold winter and very hot summer. The roses I planted when I moved here 20 years ago are for the most part gone. Hybrid T's and fancy climbers don't do well or don't survive at all. Gradually I planted Canadian Explorer Roses which are great and some varities of old fashioned rugosa or shrub roses. I planted some David Austin's too and some of these are doing fine in spite of the fact that I must choose between barely adequate morning sun or baking hot afternoon/evening sun. I have a few more varieties than I'm posting here, but these are the best or at least the ones I have pictures of.

The first wasn't mentioned I don't think. I like it. It's quite different, loose and a good grower. You will see in the third picture a few dark blooms with it. That is the root stock which I've let go. It seems to bloom just after The Countryman finishes its first bloom. The wall in the third picture was done this year causing the bush to be tied up. It now looks like a fountain and I think I'm going to leave it that way.

Golden Celebration and Graham Thomas were planted together inside what was a picket fence. The John Davis climber grew well but the other two were sort of sparce in their flowers. I'm hoping that bringing down the height of the wall by half and opening it up will help them do better next year.

The next two roses are on the west, very hot, side of the house. Sometimes it seems like they just open and get fried the next day. Only Abraham really does well here. I like the color of Molinux but it is very stingy in it's blooms.

This is my favourite David Austin rose - in fact it's probably my favourite rose of all. The smell is so sweet, like fruit and the blooms are georgeous, soft, yellow. It has a great companion in the Frances Williams hosta.

• gnabonnand
    15 years ago

Judith, my 'Pretty Jessica' has fresh new leaves on it.
    I can't wait to see blooms on it like the one you posted above ... perfection!

Mctavish6, your garden almost makes a person salivate.
    Very inspiring photos.
    You must have a green thumb extraordinaire to be able to grow hostas like that.
    They die almost instantly after being planted here in my Texas garden.
    Your garden is amazing.

Randy

• organicgardendreams
    15 years ago

mctavish6 - Wow, your roses and garden look fantastic!!!

I really like that you have posted some real garden scenes and also the combination of roses together with hostas!

It would be nice, if you could post more rose pics on this Rose Gallery!

• carla17
    15 years ago

Mctavish, I love your photos and your garden looks so interesting and lovely.
    Everyone has such beautiful Austin's.

Carla

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    15 years ago

What a beautiful thread! It's getting long and heavy, but I'll add a couple that I don't believe were shown above.

Mortimer Sackler
    {{gwi:223985}}

Happy Child
    {{gwi:264424}}

Was this one shown? Jubilee Celebration
    {{gwi:224122}}

If I had been more conscientious about taking pics, I could have shown you The Alexandra Rose, Mayflower, and Anne Boleyn also.

Kate

• mctavish6
    15 years ago

Thank you for your comments!

Randy, I do have a passion for my garden but I've had to adjust a lot. The one thing I do is not follow the rules. Hostas have become a passion because so many of the plants (Roses included) were difficult to grow here. I've almost given up on T-Roses and in a learning curve have come to love the loose, natural look of the old fashioned varieties even more. My garden started out along the lines of English Cottage, loose and natural. Over the years because of increasing shade and increasing age, I've realized that the foliage plants suit me better. I'm so thankful to be able to enjoy the hostas who's beauty is there all season, not just when they have a flower. I am very active on the Hosta Forum if anyone wants to see more of my garden or click on McTavish above to see some other pictures on my home page.

Organicgardendreams - I'm going to post a couple threads with some of my other roses. I'm glad you like my pictures since I like sharing them. I see on your home page you are in San Diego - I grew up in Garden Grove.

McTavish

• User
    15 years ago

Oh, My! After seeing these pics, I have even more ernest hope that the Ausmas (Graham Thomas) that I ordered from Vintage will do for me here in Z10a SW FLA.

Amazing and delightful photos, thanks to all for sharing.

Avalon

• niecey
    15 years ago

My eyes are so sore from coming back every chance that I get to take another peek of all those awesome looking photos and ooohhh so pretty looking roses.
    Keep them coming, I am enjoying this thread.
    It gives me hope that spring will soon be here.
    Niecey

• juicy_tomato
    15 years ago

Ahhh, what the heck! I guess I'll have to add some, too. My personal fav is Tamora. Lamentably she is not in any of these pics...

....Golden Celebration, Christopher Marlowe, Crown Princess Margarita, Abraham Darby,Gertrude Jekyll

Christopher Marlowe

Crown Princess Margarita

Mark

• carla17
    15 years ago

Mary, I have Lillian Austin and think it's beautiful but your photo is sooooo great, just lovely. And the Pat Austin photo, really is wonderful!
    Beautiful Austin's from everyone!
    Here are a few of mine:
    One little immature lady, Lady Emma Hamiton
    {{gwi:325150}}
    Jude
    {{gwi:315566}}
    Golden Celebration
    {{gwi:234912}}
    Carla

• silverkelt
    15 years ago

Some gorgeous shots you all have!

Crocus Rose
    {{gwi:315569}}

Geoff Hamilton

{{gwi:224108}}

Kathrine Morley

{{gwi:224101}}

Anne Bolyne always in bloom, but very fast blower

{{gwi:224103}}

Another Kathrine Morley, last year it was at its best.. Since I had to pot it up to move... Who knows about this year.

{{gwi:224111}}

• huttnem
    15 years ago

These sure are inspiring pics. Wish I had room for more - I only have 2 Austins; AD and a baby WS2000. Here's my AD (posted last year)

• teka2rjleffel
    15 years ago

I am interested in the yellows. Charlotte, Happy Child, Symphony and also Pretty Jessica and Queen of Sweden.
    Questions: Do they get leggy and do they repeat often??
    Lovely pics. It is nice to see some that aren't often mentioned.
    Nancy

• teka2rjleffel
    15 years ago

I forgot to post a pic. Here is Mary Magdeline with The Dark Lady jumping into the shot. I love MM, it never stops blooming. I have no trouble with thrips with it even when everything else is covered and it doesn't get leggy.
    {{gwi:226737}}
    Nancy

• canadian_rose
    15 years ago

Hutnem!!!! That is a superlative Abraham Darby!!!! Looks like deli black forest ham!! Wow!!! Stunning!!!

Carol

• huttnem
    15 years ago

Carol, thank you. Deli black forest ham?!! I don't eat ham so I had to find some images online before I knew what you were talking about ( I get it now.) But I still don't think David Austin should describe AD like that in his catalog... :~)

• elgrillo
    15 years ago

One of those threads with too much eye candy!
    I only have two, Graham Thomas and Pat Austin:

• bgrose
    15 years ago

Very beautiful

• tralee
    15 years ago

My jubilee celebration to join the bevy of beauties here.
    In her first year and pure perfection.

• mashamcl
    15 years ago

Golden Celebration. Awesome fragrance.
    {{gwi:1211011}}
    CPM
    {{gwi:1211013}}
    Masha

• msjam2
    15 years ago

Mary Magdalene- my favorite DA

{{gwi:225778}}
    Pat Austin
    {{gwi:320987}}
    {{gwi:312887}}
    A. Darby

GC
    {{gwi:231068}}
    Tamora

{{gwi:228080}}
    James Galway

Sharifa Asma

• cactusjoe1
    15 years ago

Some of my favourite Austin pictures. A few notables are missing - e.g. LD Braithwaite, Wenlock - I never ever seem to quite capture the true colour and form of these two roses. Heritage - I seem to take it for granted these days. Graham Thomas, William Shakespeare - deceased.

Evelyn

Evelyn

Evelyn

A Shropshire lad

A Shropshire Lad
    {{gwi:222126}}

Jude the Obscure

Eglantyne

Eglantyne

Golden Celebration
    {{gwi:343560}}

Golden Celebration

Golden Celebration

Citadel Heights, Port Coquitlam from Riverview Heights, Coquitlam (Black Spot country)

• huttnem
    15 years ago

Beautiful, Cactus Joe and Msjam. Mjam, please tell me about Mary Magdeline. Are those blooms in your 2nd pic typical? The pics in the Austin catalog do not do her justice. Is she healthy? Does she bear lots of flowers?

• organicgardendreams
    15 years ago

It is always a pleasure to come back to this thread to discover that there are even more beautiful photos of DA roses posted! Thank you all!

cactus joe your photos are outstanding! I love your Eglantyne!

• berrytea4me
    15 years ago

What a wonderful post. Love the photos of so many different Austins. I only have 3 so far (all new last year) but seeing so many northerners in z5 and below have success with them I think I'll be trying more. I do not mulch or collar unless I have an unusual amount of free time in the fall so a rose has to be very hardy to stay in my garden.

I also have 'Constance Spry' but she sulked last year and did not put on growth or bloom well. It looks like she wintered OK so we'll see if she has got her footing this year.

• msjam2
    15 years ago

Huttnem, oh yes! Mary M has the cutest "buttons" and she smells d i v i n e! Her fragrance is stronger than Tamora to my nose. She stays really small in my garden, no more than 2 x 2 ft.

{{gwi:319974}}

• dak434
    15 years ago

Bump!

• Jean Marion (z6a Idaho)
    15 years ago

Charles Darwin

{{gwi:1211037}}

The Prince with Falstaff

{{gwi:1211038}}

Heritage with Glamis Castle

{{gwi:1211039}}

Perdita

{{gwi:1211040}}

Winchester Cathedral

{{gwi:1211041}}

• 5400jana
    15 years ago

Charlotte for Nancy:
    {{gwi:1211042}}
    + starts flowering after main flush of other roses, very good autumn repeating, blooms have a good quality in autumn, should stay quite small
    - too pale colour in summer sun, globular blooms didn´t want to open properly in summer (but this was maybe caused by the fact that it was her first season), rather unfragrant according to me

• hsummer
    14 years ago

Bump again. So many lovely pics. I'm drooling.

• jeffcat
    14 years ago

I wish I had a camera......my newly planted Graham Thomas, Pat Austin, and WS2000 are all getting ready to pop within the next week or so...I can't wait. I feel teased by all the warmer zone goers having their blooms already. This is a phenomenal artsy thread.

• katefisher
    14 years ago

Ushak: Are you describing Charlotte as one that should stay quite small? Maybe in Zone 6 but in my Mom's garden in Zone 7 this rose is anything but petite.

{{gwi:212744}}

I took this picture two summers ago and the rose was only one year planted then from a bare root. That tall cane in the middle came up to my chin and I am six feet tall.

{{gwi:212745}}

After flushes Mom goes in and cuts it back quite a bit so ends up doing so throughout the course of the summer. A good rose that definitely likes to stretch and let its presence be known.

Kate

• gnabonnand
    14 years ago

Nancy, since you said you're interested in 'Pretty Jessica' here's another pic of her. You won't have to worry about this rose getting leggy ... she's very compact.

Randy

'Pretty Jessica'
    {{gwi:210351}}

• phinou
    14 years ago

Wonderful flowers !!!!! For now I can only show Gertrude Jekyll, the others are not ready !!!

{{gwi:1211045}}

• chic3721
    14 years ago

I'll play too. Golden Celebration, three days apart, and a close -up:

{{gwi:276180}}

• gnabonnand
    14 years ago

chic3721 ... Wow!

• canadian_rose
    14 years ago

I agree with gnabonnand, but I'll use another superlative "ZOUNDS!" :)

I've got one ready to pop forth with flowers, but it's just a first year rose. (and probably will NEVER get that large anyway) :) Serious rose envy here!

Carol

• boxofrox
    14 years ago

I have sentimental reasons for loving Abe Darby but have grown very fond of both DA's I have companioned with him. This is L.D. Braithwaite....

{{gwi:1211049}}

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    14 years ago

Those are just too good looking. Now I am going to have to coax mine to bloom some more.

• jodik_gw
    14 years ago

Positively breathtaking... every picture!

I have a question for you all... which of the Austins are the hardiest? I'm in zone 5b, but we occasionally get some really frigid winters. I've played it safe choosing roses rated for zone 4, and they are lovely... but the English roses are just too beautiful! Which do you think stand the greatest chance of survival in the colder zones?

Thanks in advance!

• boxofrox
    14 years ago

I also love Gertrude Jekyl, I have her between a WS2000 and The Prince and she is such a lovely contrast to them both. Please forgive the foliage, too many projects, too little time.

{{gwi:1211051}}

• dave_k_gw
    12 years ago

Sorry, still getting the hang of this...

• dave_k_gw
    12 years ago

Mary Rose-
    A sturdy plant in my border. My original was shaded by a growing oak, but I reproduced it several times from cuttings. These are the result:

• Mountie
    9 years ago

Dave,
    Nice job reproducing Mary Rose! Beautiful!

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm