Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sara_ann_gw

Would love to see your rose garden pictures

sara_ann-z6bok
10 years ago

Would some of you who have well established roses and have taken pictures of your beds or gardens indulge some of us and show some of your beautiful roses? Where I am we are having some very nasty weather today and we are stuck indoors, of course I am dreaming of roses. Would love to see yours! I don't have many full bush shots, but will show a picture of one of my most dependable (not last year so much) roses -

BEWITCHED with some red roses

Comments (58)

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

jjstatz29, Baby Abe sure is cute with your dahlias!
    Lesley, I don't think I've seen those pictures before. What is the apricot rose in the second pic...it's gorgeous!
    Here are a few more combo shots:

I love the round cabbage blooms of Peace paired with the pancake flat blooms of Sweet Surrender:

A faded Gina Lollobrigida and Intrigue:

And a not great shot of a couple of Mr Lincoln blooms with cleome (reseeds so badly, but I still love it anyway) and sweet shrub (passed down from my great grandmother's original plant):

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    10 years ago

I agree with lizzynola!!!!

Lesley,thank you for posting. I have been going back and forth trying to determine what I am going to place in front of a Belinda's Dream in a rose bed; it will be day lilies!

Pat, your Paris d'Yves Saint Laurent is gorgeous!

Lynn

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lesley - I don't recall seeing those pictures either. The apricot rose is gorgeous! Pat Your Peace roses look lovely and I like your Mister Lincoln too.

Pink Peace was pretty colorful in this picture.

This post was edited by Sara-Ann on Mon, Mar 3, 14 at 19:18

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

You can never have too many garden pics to view, so post away. We have had an easy time of it this winter, except for drought worries. February arrived just in time with rain, the amount, 2.22 inches, is pretty puny for most locations, but record breaking for us in the desert, and along with March so far, has pretty much saved our bacon in the drought situation.
    Sara-Ann, I've enjoyed all the threads you've start so much, along with Lesley's garden views, and Beth's alphabet roses. I have a huge list I'm plowing through of roses and plants new to me. Plus, it's just been plain fun to see everyone's gardening efforts.
    Those Bewitched blooms look gorgeous with the red, Sara-Ann, just like a Valentine card.
    Pat, I especially like the Mexican petunia. It's a beautiful plant that I'd love to try. Maybe it wouldn't spread so badly here, or maybe I should just heed your words!
    jjstatz20, your dahlia bed with Abe is very charming. Before you know it, he'll be looking down on those dahlias.
    Lesley, what are the beautiful apricot blooms in your second photo? They are luscious.
    I'm sure some of you have seen some of my pics, but here goes with Brother Cadfael and Jude the Obscure. A border of pink snapdragons and pink daisies run along the edge of the bed. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Here's my good old snowball and the nearby birdbath. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Here's a full view of my monster snowball. It loves the desert and is totally carefree, producing one huge flush in the spring. The birds love to hang out in it. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

This is a flower bed near the porch. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Here is Evelyn with some snapdragons. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

One more for now. This could get out of hand. This is Julia C, Bernstein-Rose, and others in the front yard. Diane

• lesmc
    10 years ago

Pat, the rose you asked about is Heaven On Earthâ¦a great rose for me. The rose in front is Pretty Lady, also a great blooming rose for me.I really liked the Peace-Sweet Surender pic. I love the Peace rose and mine looks so bad right now, but all roses look bad with black canes. I should probably start a list of replacements from these pictures. Diane, love your snapdragons. I use them all over, my favorite annual. I have another Evelyn coming this spring. Such a beautiful rose. Lesley

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Diane. Those pictures are gorgeous! The Snowball is lovely. I'm in awe every time I see your Julia Child roses, the gigantic bushes are something and really lovely. Your roses and other flowers are so healthy!

Some of the roses in this picture are Peace, Belinda's Dream, Veterans Honor, Sunsprite and Love Song. This picture was taken in late September and by the time they quit blooming in mid-November the Belinda's Dream bushes had almost tripled and were loaded with buds.

This post was edited by Sara-Ann on Mon, Mar 3, 14 at 21:47

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lesley - What a lovely scene in your last picture, you are so talented! Love the pink roses. I wish you the best and hope you didn't lose too many roses.

In this picture of my front rose bed, some different roses are blooming. I always love the touch of red, which is Chrysler Imperial. I am waiting with anticipation to see the blooms in their second season.

This post was edited by Sara-Ann on Mon, Mar 3, 14 at 22:17

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Those long beds filled with roses will be gorgeous this summer, Sara-Ann. They look lovely as first year plantings, too. In fact, I would have not guessed they had been in those beds such a short time. You must live in a rose friendly growing area.

Here's a pic of "Blue Clips" Campanula and my one piece of "garden art". Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Just one more pic--some lavender with Ascot. Diane

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

Lesley, Heaven on Earth⦠IâÂÂve been looking for that rose for a couple of years with no luckâ¦I guess IâÂÂll just have to admire pictures of yours for now :)
    Sara Ann, I just love seeing pictures of that brick lined rose bed of yours! I love the layout and the roses.
    Diane, My climate is so different from yours, so maybe Mexican Petunia would be okay for you, but unless you have a large area you would like it take over, I canâÂÂt in good conscience recommend it based on my experience. It is beautiful, but once established, it has been nearly impossible for me to eradicate. IâÂÂve cut it back and poured straight, undiluted Round Up concentrate on it where it has traveled under that fence without it missing a beat. IâÂÂve dug and dug and dug thinking I had it all out, and it just keeps coming back. I dug it all out again before the first âÂÂpolar vortexâ hit us and didnâÂÂt fill the holes back inâ¦left them exposed in hopes this cold will kill any remaining roots for me. Anyway, your snowball bush is scrumptious looking. My sister had one in the back yard of her old house in Tennessee, and I always admired it. It wasnâÂÂt as big and full as yours, though. And of course, IâÂÂm jealous of your lavender. IâÂÂm sure you have gathered from the other thread that I have a love/hate relationship with it hereâ¦itâÂÂs just too darned wet, humid, acidic here to thrive for me, but I will always adore the look and smell of it.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

You can never have too many of these pictures as far as i'm concerned! They're all gorgeous and make me very envious!

No roses in this one but it makes my garden look very green and lush so I like it! From August last year.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Here's a shot of the potted roses from June.

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

Seil,
    Love your roses, of course, and really love the sunflowers in your first pic. I bought various sunflower seeds the other day to plant once it finally warms up...hopefully, soon!

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Pat, thanks for your detailed answer concerning Mexican petunia. Boy, I think I'll pass on that one. I've had enough trouble with trumpet vine, bishop's weed, and other nasties. I don't believe I've seen the petunia for sale around here, either. I know now there is a reason.
    I had Heaven on Earth for about three years--got it just after it came out. I thought it was a wonderful rose, but then in its third summer it started to spontaneously die back (the only time this has happened to any rose of mine). The following spring i removed it because it didn't look like it was going to recover, and I didn't want to watch it die by inches. I'm wondering if other people had this problem because about the time I took out HonE, the rose disappeared from commerce. Just seems a little odd.
    Everything looks so healthy and colorful in the dahlia and sunflower bed, seil. Love them. It must demand a tremendous amount of work to keep all those potted roses in such good shape. I stand in awe of you.
    Diane

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you everyone. Diane - Your campanula with the other flowers and garden art is lovely and Ascot is a beautiful rose. Seil your sunflowers and other flowers are so cheerful looking. I love your container roses. I actually like growing them that way, but the containers can get so expensive for the hybrid teas, wish I could find a cheaper source.

• lesmc
    10 years ago

Seilâ¦love your dahlias. I hope to add more this year. Do you grow any of the dinner plates? They are work,but so lovely to cut. Sara-Annâ¦I bet you will be so happy with your roses this year. They did so well for new roses, they will take off now.Diane, so sorry about your HOE. Sure hope I don`t experience that. My sister bought one last year at R.U. and it is doing very well in South Carolina.Every garden is so different but I am always up for trying new roses!!! Lesley

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think I posted this picture on another thread a while back. It shows 2 Double Delight bushes, with a Drop Dead floribunda rose in the middle.

This post was edited by Sara-Ann on Tue, Mar 4, 14 at 19:52

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Lesley for the encouraging words. I am definitely looking forward to the spring flush. You have another lovely picture there. I've never been to Kentucky, but have always thought it must be a beautiful place, seems like everything is so green and lush and the flowers are just lovely. I love seeing everyone's beautiful roses and flowers, this is so nice!

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

My lenton roses are finally blooming and my camellias are trying to start, as well. So good to see something with color in the garden!

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Very nice Pat. So glad you're beginning to have some blooms.

• lesmc
    10 years ago

Patâ¦..those Lenton Roses are magnificent. I have a few but I want to add more. I need to get out and snip the old leaves. Snow,go away! Sara-Ann, I am so sincere when I say your gardens will be amazing this year. I can`t wait to see your pictures. Hurry up Spring! Lesley

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Lesley. I am really excited and anxious and trying to figure out the layout for my new roses. I am looking forward to seeing everyone else's spring blooms too.

• msjam2
    10 years ago

Diane, your garden is marvelous! ! I am in awe!

• phatboyrose
    10 years ago

picture of side rose bed

• phatboyrose
    10 years ago

Front rose bed

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Phatboyrose - Those roses are beautiful and so colorful. Glad you shared with us, they are gorgeous!

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

If any roses ever start blooming, I'll post some pics, but the golden yellow forsythia has not even bloomed yet, so I'm not even up to early spring pruning yet.

All I have is a few early purple crocuses which opened today and one yellow bloom on a mini-daffodil. Not much of a show, to say the least--but at least signs of spring life slowly appearing in the garden!

Kate

• redwolfdoc_z5
    10 years ago

Ugh.. we had a massive snowstorm on Wednesday! Everything is buried again!

Thanks to all of you for sharing these great pics. I can't wait to see more - they brighten up my day!

• boncrow66
    10 years ago

I am in awe of everyone's gardens and roses. Beautiful! And a feast for the eyes!!! Gives me inspiration and ideas for my new garden this year.

• BIZKIT123
    9 years ago

This was taken the 2 mos. after we got our house. I planted these roses on my front yard. It used to be barren.

• BIZKIT123
    9 years ago

Garden part 2

• BIZKIT123
    9 years ago

Rose Garden Part 3

• BIZKIT123
    9 years ago

Rose Garden Part4

• BIZKIT123
    9 years ago

Part 5

• BIZKIT123
    9 years ago

Season1 part1 heeeheee...sounds like a series

• BIZKIT123
    9 years ago

Season1part2 Front yard

• BIZKIT123
    9 years ago

Season2 part3 George Burns up close

• BIZKIT123
    9 years ago

Season 2 part4

• BIZKIT123
    9 years ago

part5

• BIZKIT123
    9 years ago

part6

• BIZKIT123
    9 years ago

season2 part7

• BIZKIT123
    9 years ago

Part8

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

BIZKIT - You truly have some gorgeous roses, you've done a wonderful job with the layout and your roses all look so pretty together, I love all that color. You need to start your own thread, so more people will check them out. All your hard work needs to be seen and enjoyed! Would also love to know what some of your varieties are, because they look so good together.

• Glen4sure
    9 years ago

Have more and I'm also having problems with photobucket.

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!