Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathy9norcal

Pre-Views (big jpgs)

kathy9norcal
12 years ago

Pruning and cleanup is done and now all I have to do is walk and watch for changes each day. No little buds yet, but soon. No aphids yet but a bunch of ladybugs are around. In the following photos, the rose canes blend in with the soil, so you may think all I grow are daylilies. Not so! There are too many roses crammed into this small yard. I am slowly being taken over by Ice Follies daffodils, too!

Out front, home of Lynn Anderson and Crowd Pleaser and lots of freesias

Front again, 12 roses stashed here and there

west side of back garden

middle

east side

I am trying to reduce the number of potted plants but it is difficult to do. I potted up some in-ground ne'er-do-wells such as Double Delight as it didn't like in its old spot--too shady. It is now in prime on-deck real estate (left of table.) While this garden looks OK now, it is much too crowded in summer.

Comments (12)

• inga007

Your garden is so neat. Despite all the roses you still have a lawn. Love the freesias too.
    I'm looking forward to your photos.

• inga007

Your garden is so neat. Despite all the roses you still have a lawn. Love the freesias too.

• inga007

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

Oh, Kathy, it looks wonderful! I have lots of daffs too. They are so pretty and absolutely no care! I wish I could grow freesias here! I can't even get them to grow in pots as annuals, lol!

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    12 years ago

Oh, things are looking good in your garden. Just barely beginning clean-up here. What would we do without those spring-time bulbs to keep us going?

Kate

• windeaux
    12 years ago

If only my garden look HALF as tidy right now! Please consider posting the same views when the roses are doing their thing, okay?

A bit off-topic here, but I am intrigued by the lovely photo of 'Gruss an Aachen' you posted on the "Show Off Your White Roses" thread, and your comment that you must not have the "pinkish" one. Does your plant consistently produce roses that are that white? Do you remember where you got it?

I have several GaA plants, plus the climbing version. All of them produce flowers with varying degrees of pink, but never ones that are as white as the photo you posted. I wonder if you have the very rare, 'Weiss Gruss an Aachen'. As far as I know, Cliff Orent (EuroDesert) was the first to import that GaA sport into the US, but I don't know if he propagated and sold any.

• kathy9norcal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Windeaux, I did a search of all my Gruss photos, about 40. Only a couple seem pink when opened--almost the entire batch of photos are creamy white. I did notice that when a bud opens, the center can be pink, sort of like my French Lace. I once heard there were two different Gruss an Aachens, a pink one and a white version. I just got what was available at the time. I got it in 1999 from Reagan's in Fremont, CA.
    I wish I could put it in a better spot. Now, it only gets morning and noon hours sun. I am determined to pamper it this season!

• windeaux
    12 years ago

Thanks for the info, Kathy. The common "versions" are the original 'Gruss an Aachen' and it sport 'Pink Gruss an Aachen', both of which I grow. It's been my observation over the years that the original almost always has a noticeable amount of pink and, at times, can be almost as pink as its pink sport.

Anyway . . . I think yours is beautiful. Thanks for the reply.

• zeffyrose
    12 years ago

Your garden looks wonderful---so neat and orderly----Love the stonework----
    nice to see your daffys---ours are still just buds--

Florence

• bethnorcal9
    12 years ago

Wow, Kathy I'm impressed! Very nice and clean and ready for spring!! Can't wait to see the whole thing in bloom again. You have such lovely roses and your photos are always beautiful!

• kathy9norcal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, all, for your nice comments. I really look forward to the great winter cleanup. It looks so awful and rotting before I do it. Then, I can enjoy the "neatness" for about a month til the growth explosion, the weeds, and the treacherous heat that wilts and burns. This is really my only OCD time in my garden. It's just that the roses and daylilies are not in bloom!

• Krista_5NY
    12 years ago

Your garden is so peaceful and lovely. The freesias are delightful.

Sponsored
Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living in Columbus, OH