Return to the Rose Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rosa banksia white

Posted by hosenemesis SoCal Sunset 19 USDA (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 30, 10 at 23:19

Hi all,
My Banks rose is in bloom- at least, one of the roses here is a Banks rose, I don't know what the other one is, it came mixed in the same pot with the Banks.

Photobucket
Photobucket

My little automatic camera won't do much better than this.
Renee

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rosa banksia white

That looks so beautiful and romantic! What I can see of the rest of your garden is equally gorgeous. I do hope you'll be posting more pictures.

R. fortuniana is often mistaken for R. banksia, and I once bought R. fortuniana even though it was labeled R. banksia. If you look at fortuniana at HMFR you might be able to determine if that's the rose you have in addition to banksia. I actually like fortuniana better, but to have both would be neat.

Ingrid

o

Looks amazing nice rose.

o

Yeah, Supaflyz, it looks AMAZING. And like Ingrid said, " it looks so beautiful and romantic!"

Thanks, Renee!! :)

Debbie

o

Does all of THAT come from that little container!!?? :)

Wow!!

Does it have wonderful perfume that wafts everywhere? - she asked enviously. LOL

Carol

o

Carol- it smells just divine. I open the four windows of the living room and just breathe it in.

Ingrid, I think it might be fortuniana but HMF says it is nearly thornless, and this little white rose is a terror.

Thanks for your kind words. I wish my camera would do better.

I'll try to get a photo of the banks roses down the street covering my neighbor's post fence. He has the prettiest house on the block, and the yard is filled with white banks and Iceberg roses.

Renee

o

Gorgeous Renee! Hmmm, if it's a very thorny terror, that's doubly confusing. Both Fortuniana and Rosa Banksiae are supposed to be "thornless". Usually the yellow version of Rosa Banksiae is predominantly shown, but the white version is especially popular in England. There is a very thorny version of white Rosa Banksiae but it is in single petal formation, not the double form, so maybe you got the thorny sport strain, lol!

o

Will this rose thrive in a large pot?

o

So gorgeous!!

If this reblooms, it looks and sounds like a lady banks hybrid I grow called 'Purezza'. From what I can see, those are the same leaves :) And yes, she has enough thorns to snare a few folks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Purezza on HMF

o
re RE: Rosa banksia white

Georgia Dougherty,

I don't know if this helps, but my Purezza is pretty rampant in my garden. She looks very pretty pruned smaller, and she blooms fine smaller, but you'd have to root prune (annually?) to keep her in any pot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here