Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spike_gw

New to the Forums

-spike-
9 years ago

Hello,

My name is Will. I'm new to the GardenWeb forums. I've been growing roses for about 20 years now (most of my life). I have recently been enjoying the wonderful rose photos on this forum and thought I'd add a few photos of my roses from previous years. I'm in the US in zone 6a, so the roses haven't started blooming yet this year.

Anastasia -

Gene Boerner -

My favorite, Kordes' Perfecta -

Love. This rose is older than I am. It was originally my mom's given to her by her mother. -

Rotary -

Sonia -

I look forward to continuing to follow this forum, especially in anticipation for my roses to put out their first flush. I also plan on posting more photos in the future.

-Will

Comments (15)

• iris_gal
    9 years ago

Welcome Spike!

Nice photos & especially love the 'Anastasia' cluster shot.
    Are they taken with your phone? Excellent.

• kathy9norcal
    9 years ago

Awesome roses and photos. I especially love Anastasia. Just perfect. Hope to see more photos from you!

• sara_ann-z6bok
    9 years ago

Welcome to the forum, Will. You have some beautiful roses there, very nice. Look forward to seeing pictures of your first flush.

• inga007
    9 years ago

Good photos of lovely blooms. Looking forward to more.
    I also live in 6a, but it will be a while yet. The grass is just starting to look green.

• lesmc
    9 years ago

Welcome Will !!! You have grown some lovely roses. I could not pick a favorite but the shot of Anastasia is amazing. I have a love of white roses and will be looking for info on that one. Can`t wait for more pictures! Lesley

• -spike-
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

iris_gal: Yes, these photos were taken with my Android phone. My digital camera is old enough now that my phone takes better photos. =)

Anastasia has always been a vigorous grower for me and produces lots of clusters despite being a hybrid tea. It however got hit pretty hard this winter with die-back, which is unusual. I am however lucky that all my roses survived the negative temperatures all winter.

lesmc: Anastasia is slightly fragrant and does exceptionally well in the heat of the summer. The flowers also tend to last a while. The thorns aren't terribly bad on it.

-Will

• frenchcuffs13
    9 years ago

Welcome Will ! Your roses are beautiful and i look forward to learning from you and hearing your observations and opinions on varies roses/topics, I've only been growing roses for 9 years. please keep posting pictures of your lovely's.

• densiemill Miller
    9 years ago

I lost my Kordes Perfecta this year and I am so disappointed. Such a big gravy beautiful rose.
    Stunning pictures

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Hi Will and welcome! Your roses are beautiful and so are your photos!

• frenchcuffs13
    9 years ago

Sorry to hear about your Perfecta. Do you think you'll replace it with the same or try something new? I'm curious.

• canadian_rose
    9 years ago

I'm stunned over your Kordes Perfecta - what a beauty!!! Stunning!!! The colors are exactly what I like.

I love your Sonia too - so saturated with color.
    That is the loveliest photo of Love I've ever seen. Gasp!

Welcome, welcome!!!! Thanks for sharing!
    Carol

• greenster
    9 years ago

welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing these amazing pics.I also look forward in learning more...20 years wow! I have only been at it 20 months,but it has changed my life.I always took Roses for granted and never knew each one has a history and different personality.Again,thank you and hope to hear more from you.
    Frank

• densiemill Miller
    9 years ago

I tried to replace my Kordes Perfecta last year but it do did not make it...I had problems with it from black spot etc so I will not replace it. I am satisfying myself with Double Delight and Charlotte Brownell...not the same I know.

• -spike-
    Original Author
    9 years ago

densiemill: Sorry your Kordes' Perfecta didn't make it. It tends to need some extra fungus control and winter protection.

canadian_rose: Sonia has a very unique fragrance. Fruity with a little peppery zest to it. It has been a good performer in my garden for a long time now.

Right now my roses are just starting to form flower buds. Hopefully early to mid June I'll have photos to share of this year's flowers.

-Will

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    9 years ago

Welcome Spike! Very nice rose bloom pics! :)

Sponsored
WellCraft Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars61 Reviews
Virginia’s Full Service Design-Build Remodeling Company