Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
serenasyh

Last 2011 Lopsided Garden Part 5- 2012 Prelude of Lumpy Roses

serenasyh
11 years ago

Hi, everyone and Happy Easter! Here are the last roses from 2011 that I didn't have the chance to post...I noticed after returning back to our wonderful gallery that there's quite a few new folks so a big hugs to everyone and a welcome to all the newcomers....This place is a wonderful place for Tea and Company so here's what I've been up to during the winter.

Folklore Hybrid Tea:

Viking Queen Climbing Rose

Lincoln Hybrid Tea

Cornelia Hybrid Musk

America Climbing Rose

And for those of you who do not know my beautiful, lovely fur baby Eluane, here she is putting up with a totally insane owner, me who has stuffed an entire young snowfountain cherry tree into my Toyota Camry, driving it home from Costco....

Eluane with the only winter snow, which vanished after 4 hours :(

and here is Eluane and I dancing to music. lol! This was something we just started experimenting with - her dancing with her tennis ball. Unfortunately I used to be really good with ballet, but I haven't danced for ages, so there's been about 23 years' gap, and once you lose your edge, you totally lose it.

Eluane Tennis Ball Ballet

Eluane Tennis Ball Ballet-2nd video

Serena Gettin' Old, lol!

Finally, everyone HAPPY EASTER!!!!!

Here is my first bloom Clementina Carboniera, a tea that had zero winter kill in my formerly zone 5 garden....We've had a crazy warm winter last year so my roses are 2 months early in development. CC bloomed on April 3. The 2nd photo is the same bloom but more open on April 5th. There are several other buds in tulip form right now so it's only a matter of a few days before they fully open.

{{gwi:262035}}

Comments (17)

• amberroses
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Nice photos. My Civic looks like your car all the time. I try to fit apple trees, concrete blocks, giant rain barrels, in my small car.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

Folkore is a beauty! But then, so are all the roses and your new tree.

Obviously, you are having lots of fun dancing with your dog--and your previous training definitely does show.

Kate

• jeffcat
    11 years ago

Well I moved an entire apartment one time...with my 2 door Grand Prix. I must say the power sunroof came in very handy otherwise I wouldn't have been able to fit the grandfather clock in the car vertically. XD The sofa didn't fit but at least it made it on top of the car.

Eluane looks like she is just turning around and looking at Serena like "For real?"..."silly humans" haha

• bethnorcal9
    11 years ago

Pretty puppy and gorgeous roses! Love that CLEMENTINA!!

• serenasyh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you so much, Amberrose, Kate, Nick, and Beth! Hehe, and Eluane loooves dancing with her tennis ball! Yum, and delicious Amberrose. Hey, we have to lure Harold back. Your mention about apples reminds me of Harold's delicious lemon pies and Jim's wife Sue's Christmas cookies, lol! Apple Pies? Amberrose, lol! I used to do lots of gourmet cooking, but it's been awhile since I made fancy desserts. My BF had recently discovered gluten allergies, and I haven't had time to experiment with the gluten free desserts which are tons complicated. Yeesh! Things don't rise or texture up easily...

Nick haha, wowza on that Grandfather clock, lol! I bet you will soon have to deal with way taller than that with tranporting your Austin climbers, lol! But then Austins get pretty huge in themselves, haha! Nick, you must catch us up on how things are! WE MISS YOU HERE! how is your move and your new place to live? I think you just recently graduated, right? and relocated?

Hugs, everyone! Beth I can't wait to see your next rose thread. I really lucked out the one time I popped in very briefly at our Gallery and just happened to see your one new thread. Hurray! It was right during the 2nd week of Feb. Hehe, I have the memory of an elephant when it comes to your roses, lol!

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    11 years ago

Wow! Great pics of your roses and as always Eluane is looking sweet! LOL on tree sticking out your car window...

• Krista_5NY
    11 years ago

Wonderful roses, Serena, they remind me of summer.

It looks like Eluane has fun with dancing; she's a really intelligent dog.

That's a great spring tree, I like the cheerful blooms.

• canadian_rose
    11 years ago

I love the black in your 2nd Mr. Lincoln shot. Looks wonderful!!

Cornelia Musk looks so Japanese - like it should be a haiku poem!

Love them all and keep dancing!!
    Carol

• jeffcat
    11 years ago

I actually haven't moved yet. I'm moving back to Columbus in about 2-3 months to start "real work". As of now, I'm just working and then tending to family related projects like refinishing floors, painting buildings, etc. I will probably be renting an apartment or a small house when I get back to Columbus, so I'm unsure how many roses I will have. Obviously, since I will only rent until I move out of the US, I am somewhat limited in terms of space and permanence.

I have the better part of 50 roses in my mother's yard now of about 40 different types, so they are being grown there in the ground for the most part. I'm not sure what I'm going to do after I leave her house. The bad part is she is now contemplating selling her current house, so I would have to propagate everything I have tried to get established there...the better part of about 2 grand in roses I planted there thinking she was staying there. Oh well...I'll figure something out when that time comes. For the time being, I'm just working and tending to the roses.

• strawchicago z5
    11 years ago

I love your dog - and I enjoy every pic. It's nice to see tea rose that pretty surviving zone 5. I really wish I had planted more spring-flower trees, rather than BORING birch trees.

• Dia33
    11 years ago

I love your roses, Lincoln is beutiful!! I got 3 America climers this year I had to move them fron my front yard to the right side of the house, although I like them I think the color is to much for me, and now i don't know what to plant next to them. Any suggestions?

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

Thanks for the beautiful photos, Serena! Love the cherry tree, lol!

• serenasyh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you so much, Jim, Krista, Carol, Strawberrhill, Dia33, and Seil! Hehe, Carol, I hope the Snowfountain ends up being as huge as Cornelia is currently getting...Cornelia may actually reach Climber status, who knows with this rose...Too bad Cornelia doesn't have as prolific of a flush as in Spring...It takes forever for its buds to open up but once they open it is really amazing, exactly like a rose having a cherry blossom identity crisis, haha!

Dia33, it's interesting that your C.A. has such an intense color...Mine are usually far more soft pink. Hmmm, we will have to ask Boxofrox if he gets online or Renee (Hosenemesis). They have such wonderful totally ACE color combinations when growing roses. My color coordination and garden efforts are about as skilled as a two year old waving a box of crayons and telling everyone here whoo-hee, whoo-hee! Look at my drawing, ain't I doing good? and everyone having to give me a pat on the head and nod and smile great job, and me whoo-hooing and taking my sand shovel and going back to playing in the sandbox, haha!

Nick, wow, your Mom's garden is gonna be absolutely amazing and your Mama and all your relatives are darn lucky/blessed to have you! You are always building, painting and helping out! Well, with all the help you've been doing with the house it will triple in value... My folks are thinking they must eventually move out and I haven't lifted a finger to help at all for shame... Nick where would you like to go? Any plans for Europe, elsewhere? In many ways I wish I were in England, where Eluane's friends are (they are helping protect her from my dreadful agility mistakes, lol!) or the charming Peter Beales folks, and also the free health care! I am in such bad trouble with the medical bills and it's running me for broke. Thank goodness my brother is a doctor or else I'd be in such serious trouble....He's in NYC though and I'm in Kansas. I've been telling Jim1961 all the headaches with this....

Hehe, Dia Lincoln will always be my favorite rose. The fragrance is divine, and in the Spring he is a deep florist red which is my favorite kind of red, plus the flowers get so huge!

Hugs, everyone! and thank you!

• jeffcat
    11 years ago

Italy is probably going to be in my future, but probably not for another 5 years or so. I need to work and get some solid healthcare coverage as I will be 26 this fall and will need the coverage for my diabetes.

Yea, I have done more to their house than they have ever done haha. I just need to keep the dreaded pests away from the roses AKA parents destroying them. They broke off quite a bit of the buds that were forming and the new basal canes off in their "attempt" at protecting the roses from the frost even though I told them not too. *facepalm* I was a little bit more than upset to say the least when I saw the extent of the damage. Outside of that, the hardwood floors still need refinished after I finish a wood inlay I am finishing up on and I put it into the floor. I debated with the idea of making cedar window boxes, but will probably hold off for now...it's not my house anyways haha. I need to invest into moving back to Columbus first ASAP.

• serenasyh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nick that is super wise! Because healthcare skyrockets when you get to be my age.... I'll be 46 in June, and the health insurance wants to charge $850 per month....especially if you have pre-existing conditions. Currently they are trying to "outlaw" this but the way Congress keeps fighting to eliminate every advance we make healthcare wise, I can only expect the worst at this time. Something needs to be drastically done for our US healthcare system. Nick as you can tell, I'm just one of the millions of Americans without any health insurance, and those who have insurance do not know how expensive just one doctor visit is...like $600 or medication without insurance often $200 and up for just a single month (which is what I'm forced to pay)... And I really feel for you with the Diabetes Type I. Not only is it soooo hard to stay healthy and really maintain exercise, eating the right foods, you have to fight even harder for your health than Type II because you'll have had it for decades longer than the Type II folks, and the health complications for Type I is so complex and so serious..... So I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you that you'll have tons better luck than other Type I diabetes folks.... My cousins are in Canada and they've got really good government health care. Like me, he is a freelancer but his 4 kids are thankfully so well provided for!

Nick I definitely know about the Facepalm, except I'm the Facepalm idiot in the family who never gets her act together. Everything is day-by-day chaos instead of far-sighted planning. Believe me, my brother constantly has to rescue me tons of times from my frickin' mistakes and not! taking care of my health. I'm a non-stop worrier and workaholic and spend countless of all-nighters, and now my entire health system is finally going haywire :( For decades I wouldn't listen, too addicted to work, so you can bet I'm eatin' crow right now.

Hopefully eventually your folks will listen and do gardening research and that they aren't as stubborn in real life problem areas like I've been....

Nick keep us updated and hope you do get to move back to Columbus ASAP with a fun career that advances you where you truly want to be :), like in Italy. Jim's young son is such a great young man too! He is currently traveling and studying abroad in Germany. So happy he is such a great kid... And I'm sure you too will go far in life :D Hugs, and hope to see the roses you care for survive the Facepalm fiascos, lol! I'm sure that is why your photos got delayed too... But have patience with your parents, just grit your teeth and keep grinning cheerfully! Roses are tough, they'll somehow survive your parents' unintentional whopper flamers, haha!

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

Cornelia! What a beauty.

Say hi to the doggie. I love your tree- I wish they did well here.

Renee

• serenasyh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you so much Renee! Eluane says hi too! She loves her online hugs because they remind her Mama to hug her and she especially thanks you...She's had a tough day today but was very brave! So I'm still proud of her!

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz