Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
londonblue

Austins - first blush & some very odd Cecile Brunner blooms

londonblue
13 years ago

First blooms of some of my Austins, they're quite lovely this year.

Golden Celebration

Crown Princess Margaretta Clg (really needs to be put in the ground and out of it's temporary pot)

The Alnwick Rose

Carding Mill (none of the usual scalloped petals on this first group of blooms)

Tamora (thought I was sent a hybrid tea instead last year, but this year it's looking more like it's supposed to)

Windermere (lovely blooms this year)

And then there's the really weird blooms and growth coming out of this one cane of my Cecile Brunner. Flower buds growing out from within flower buds - bizarre!

Bud within a bud

Odd hybrid between new leaves and a flower?

The rest of it looks pretty normal though

Comments (7)

• bethnorcal9
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Beautiful roses! That bud within a bud thing is a phenomenon known as "proliferation." I believe it has something to do with the plant taking up too much nitrogen. It happens sometimes in the spring flushes. But now, the other two pics could also be proliferation, or something more serious known as Rose Rosette Disease. We don't get that here, so I don't know exactly how it looks when it first starts out. RRD is a bad thing! You have to destroy the plant, and I believe it can spread to other plants? I dunno for sure. Maybe someone else who knows more about that will chime in and give you better advice. Hopefully it's not RRD tho!

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    13 years ago

Your roses look great! 1st one is a very bright yellow.
    I have no idea whats going on with your buds. If your concerned about it, post your pics on the main rose forum and ask what it might be.

• michaelg
    13 years ago

So far as I know, rosette disease is not known to occur (yet) in zone 9. Proliferation is caused by a genetic predisposition + weather conditions.

• londonblue
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wpw. that rosette rose disease looks terrible! I've never googled up so many disturbing photos of rose before.

I'm hoping it's just bizarre genetic expression then, but maybe I'll just cut them off anyway. The weather has been a bit crazy around here. Thanks for the tips! maybe I'll bring in a sample to my local nursery and see what they think

• msmisk
    13 years ago

I was interested in what you said about Tamora looking like a hybrid tea last year. I bought what was supposed to be Pat Austin and as it bloomed in the pot that week (I hadn't planted it yet), the blooms were red and yellow and very hybrid tea looking. I took it back to the nursery where the girl insisted it was Pat Austin, but they did take it back. Your photos are beautiful, by the way.

• londonblue
    Original Author
    13 years ago

msmisk: Yes, I totally thought the Tamora I had was a hybrid Tea last year. The leaves and grow reminded me of hybrid tea. The not yet flowering bud looked like a HT bud, and when fully opened the flower looked like a HT flower past it's prime with the petals just sort of exploded everywhere. I couldn't find a photo of the fully opened bloom, but here are the bud blooms I found from 2009:

This year my Carding Mill is pretty much doing the same thing almost. I find DA flowers can be inconsistent during the first bloom of the season, but the 2nd and 3rd flushes often resemble more of what you see in the catalog. Also according to the DA catalog Tamora was one of his older varieties which may explain the different look from the rest of his roses.

helpmefind.com is where I turn to for a variety of user photos that help me determine if I got the wrong rose, it got mislabeled or anything else.

Here are some of my Carding Mill photos from last year that I came across, looks nothing like this year's first flush:

---------------------

Some more photos of this year's roses - not so shy now with the recent warm weather this weekend:

Carding Mill

Charles Renne Mackintosh

Crown Princess Margaretta

St Swithun Clg (DA sent me a bunch of these old and unwanted looking bare roots the year they still couldn't provide me with a grafted Generous Gardener - guess they really screwed up the grafting on those guys badly)

Tamora

Teasing Georgia

The Alnwick Rose

Windermere

Still waiting for the following to open up their buds:
    Jude the Obscure, Queen of Sweden, Lady Emma Hamilton, Mortimer Sackler, The Generous Gardener, Sharifa Asma, Christopher Marlowe (the only new rose this year)

• canadian_rose
    13 years ago

We're expecting more snow still, so I can't take my rose pots out of the garage yet. So, it's really nice to see such beauties - I just love Austin roses!!!!

Thanks for all the beauty!!