Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeffcat_gw

I think this brings new meaning to a 'potted rose'

jeffcat
13 years ago

My Graham Thomas is only starting it's 2nd year in the ground and is ridiculously vigorous(nearly as much as my New Dawn) and all, but this is flat out ridiculous for a rose of such a size in what is a large pot...however remarkably small for the size of the Graham Thomas is contains. 8-O So who is willing to move it by hand?

Here is a link that might be useful: A

Comments (13)

• zeffyrose
    13 years ago

Oh my gooodness---does that have to be dragged into the garage in the winter??????

Beautiful rose
    Florence

• ramblinrosez7b
    13 years ago

Thats incredible and so beautiful! It looks as though it really likes where it is.

• jeffcat
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just for the record in case anybody is confused, this is NOT my Graham Thomas...just wanted to make that clear. I wish it was though.

• Brian
    13 years ago

Thanks for clearing that up. I LOVE english roses and am just in my 2nd year with my 13 or so Austins as well and was going to be so jealous if yours was already that size & on top of it, I was really going to hate you since you live in Ohio while I live in So Cal (land of where roses don't go dormant). Thanks for the pic though, I really want to buy this rose someday.

Brian

• jean_ar
    13 years ago

Well,its a beauty..Mine are real pretty when they first open,and a few hours later the flowers are wilted bad.They perk back up soon as the sun gets off it.

Jean

• iris_gal
    13 years ago

Wouldn't a hedge of these be super! Except to deadhead.

• serenasyh
    13 years ago

Jeff you make me smile, hee-hee! I too went crazy when I saw my upcoming Royal Sunset climber shown potted in Canada on Help Me Find.

I thought whoo-hoo! this small pot can survive Canadian cold zone, whoo-hoo! And then I rechecked it and thought darn! this is zone 8, not zone 3-5 that I was thinking--this is Vancouver Canada, not like Newfoundland or Ottawa, haha!

Here is my favorite inspiration photo. hehe, but I'm thinking zone 5-6, no way am I gonna get that Vancouver type of height in their zone 8, lol, lol!

huge climber/smaller pot

• jeffcat
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That's flat out ridiculous Serena. I'd have to presume they broke out the concrete there and there is soil underneath that "pot". If not they must feed those crammed roots with fertilizer and water every day haha.

• serenasyh
    13 years ago

Haha, crammed roots and crammed fertilizer! hehe...

But Jeffcat, seriously, I think I ought to show you a link from a very experienced, skilled rose gardener who is growing a pretty darn big climber that is in a pot way smaller than one would expect....

You have to scroll through the entire thread. At the beginning of the thread you have photos of the pots themselves. Then when you go to the very bottom of the thread, you will see some very big climbers coming out of those pots....The Madame Carriere is absolutely gorgeous as well as the New Dawn...

potted roses and climbers

• huttnem
    13 years ago

I grow Ladybanks in a large container. This year I bought an even larger pot (REALLY large) into which she will be transplanted cause I'm feeling sorry for her crammed roots! Too heavy and too complex for me to do on my own so now that she has stopped blooming I am hoping to hire someone to help. LB is attached to a trellis hung across the top of my patio.

• serenasyh
    13 years ago

lol, Ladybanks is mega huge and will eat up a house, lol! yeah, I too would be too scared to plant Ladybanks in a pot. And yeesh that is going to be a major endeavor. Luckily there's very little thorns? Luckily for me, hybrid tea climbers can get large, but they don't eat houses. Maybe their blooms are just too heavy and large to reach the massive proportions like other types of roses do (New Dawn Wichurana being another example or some of the ancient OGRs).

I do have Ghislaine de Feligonde, however, so who knows how big it will get, lol! YIKES! and yes it will be in a 30 gallon pot. wuh-oh! Ironically the other hybrid tea climbers are in much larger containers 122 gallons but I don't think any will be as massive as Ghislaine perhaps? I don't know--I am very new to OGRs. This will be my first time trying to grow them (fingers triple-crossed)!

• becky_rose
    13 years ago

My Mother and Father in law had a rose in a pot that they had set in a spot that they meant to plant it. But they waited too long, and it had grown roots out of the holes in the bottom, and was so well rooted, they had to just leave it there. It did really.

• mark_roeder 4B NE Iowa
    13 years ago

I have had GT for years. It gets tall (about 5') and grows somewhat vigourously, but nothing like that one.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor