Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bob_71

The remaining single-form roses from my garden.

bob_71
12 years ago

Up until about five years ago, I grew an eclectic mix of about 200 roses. Age and diminished energy levels convinced me to give most of them to family and friends. I now have thirteen plants remaining and that keeps me busy enough.

I grow a few of the single-form bloom type plants that are not miniatures. Here are three of them.

Bob

DAINTY BESS-a hybrid tea that dates back to 1925. A beautiful rose!

SALLY HOLMES-a Hybrid Musk dating back to 1976.

STARRY NIGHT-a shrub by Pierre Orard. No deadheading required because plant is sterile.

Thanks for taking the time to view them.

Comments (14)

• lesmc
    12 years ago

I love your Dainty Bess. I have tried her twice with no luck. She is a beautiful rose and your photo is lovely. I have Sally and love her. Lots of pruning to keep her in bounds, tho. Thanks for sharing your roses with us. Lesley

• dove_song
    12 years ago

Oh, Bob, it's so wonderful to see you here!!! The last time we talked was a long time ago when you shared your glorious photo album with us on R. Corner--I am Teacup (Debbie) over there. Every time I see one of your awesome photos on HMF I think about you and wonder how you're doing. Now I know! Age and diminished energy levels have done a number on me, too. Thanks so much for sharing your MARVELOUS photos of your Singles with us over here. Take the bestest care ever, my friend, and have a beautiful day! :~D

Deb

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    12 years ago

Starry Night is exceptionally beautiful. I'll have to look it up on HMF. Thank you for posting.

• TNY78
    12 years ago

I love your Dainty Bess! Its always on my short-list but I never end up buying her...not sure why though. She's a very beautiful rose!

• inga007
    12 years ago

DAINTY BESS-is adorable. So glad you posted your singles.
    They look so delicate.

• suebelle_neworleans
    12 years ago

Fantastic photos of some lovely roses. I love singles. Dainty Bess is one of my favorites. Many years ago, I wanted a Dainty Bess and could not find one. I called all nurseries within a 80 mile radius and found one. Of course, I got up the next morning, which happened to be Mardi Gras day in New Orleans,(which is where I live), and drove 80 miles to go and get it, then returned and went to the Mardi Gras.
    Suebelle

• lovemysheltie
    12 years ago

Love that Dainty Bess!

• serenasyh
    12 years ago

Bob, the photography and the roses are breathtakingly GORGEOUS BEYOND WORDS!!!! You, Markiz, Dark Lady, always have the most fabulous photos! Whereas my semi-fancy camera (I've got the Canon Rebel, which is not as fancy as Canon D series, but plenty fancy enough) allows me to be a fake/"imposter" lol, simply by shutting out the light to make the blooms "pop" whereas yours has more all natural lighting without being forced to shut out that sunlight....I love these photos and your roses....

I also wish I had a closeup lens.... I cannot get so close to the bloom like your Dainty Bess, so all the sharp detailing is lost.

Bob and Debbie, many hugs about the lost health....No matter what both your presence brings lots of joy to many folks it seems.....At HMF too I found a very wonderful person as well (from the Netherlands) lol! Hurry that internet crosses and links so many hearts! Hope to see you here more often at the gallery Bob...

• zeffyrose
    12 years ago

What a gorgeous picture of Dainty Bess----thanks so much for shaing your wonderful pictures----I understand what you mean about health problems I sure can't garden the way I used to----
    Thanks again---Florence

• serenasyh
    12 years ago

Hugs to you Florence too! I am looking forward to your garden photos. Florence did you know that whenever people ask about my Viking Queen I always show a link to your climber in terms of how big and beautiful it gets as a mature rose? Mine is still very young so the flowers are much smaller than yours even though it's spilling all over and is getting big itself size-wise.

P.S. I noticed I misspelled Hurray and left out grammar transitions! lol! I meant to write:
    Hurray that internet crosses many oceans and unites so many hearts" hehe, this sentence makes more sense; I got a bit entangled in my words.....

• bob_71
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lesley, Thanks for your comments! Dainty Bess is worth the effort.

Deb, Thanks for your kind comments and your warm welcome. I just grew away from the intensity of a few of the members at RC and at the ARS. There were, and are, some fine folk's there.

Just under a year ago I lost my friend, my lover, my wife and my life...Sara, the far better half of our 57 year marriage. Our children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren help to fill that huge void and we were lucky to have them. My photography helps to add some meaning to my continuing existence.

May life be good to you!

Bob

Thanks, ingrid_vc. One Of my favorites,

TNY78: You deserve it, it is a wonderful rose with top-notch stamens.

Bob

Thanks for your comments. INGA007.

Suebelle, that's what I like...a passion for what one wants. I hope it is thriving for you.

Bob

Thanks, lovemysheltie!

Bob

serenasyph: your camera is quite adequate! Depending on what subject matter you like to shoot,I could recommend that you look at the Canon 100mm, f/2.8 Macro lens, It is wonderful for close-ups of all types, creates the finest soft backgrounds available and won't break the bank. I have used it in the vast majority of all the shots I take. It also focuses to infinity, There is a newer model with image stabilization but that ups the price considerably. This lens without image stabilization is available for $600, or less if bought used.

Bob

Florence, nice to see your name again! Thanks for your kind remarks.

Bob

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

Hi, Bob, so good to hear from you! I'm so sorry for your loss though. I'm glad you have a lot of family to help you through it.

Your photos are gorgeous, as always! I think it was your photos of Dainty Bess that made me get her. Thank you! She's beautiful beyond words. Now I think I might need Starry Night, lol!

• serenasyh
    12 years ago

Oh, I'm so sad to hear about your wife's passing Bob, but what an inspiring beautiful and loving couple you were together and so many treasured memories!

Bob, you can post photos of your beautiful kids and grandchildren here too ANY DAY, please :) ...Those who are brilliant photographers do bring us so much joy at our gallery and we love having tea and company as well. It's a place for family and friends...

One of the gardeners that I miss so much here is Boxofrox. We used to get lots of photos of his niece's new garden, his new projects and his barbecues, and his Memorial Garden. I'm hoping he'll soon be back....

Bob, I'll really be looking forward to your upcoming photos! Family, roses! Yes, maybe the great grandkids running around and playing hide and seek in your garden, perhaps, lol! Hope to see more of your photos very soon!

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Bob, please accept my condolences. I am happy to hear that you have so much love still around you after your loss, though.

Your photo of Bess is exceptional.
    Renee