Return to the Rose Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rainy morning surprise: Golden Showers

Posted by dublinbay z6 KS (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 3, 12 at 10:07

Guess what snuck up on me this rainy morning and surprised me with golden blooms.

Golden Showers
Photobucket

Evidently I've been too busy staring at eye-level and lower roses, cuz this "golden shower" took me totally by surprise. Such a lovely surprise on a grey rainy morning!

Kate

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rainy morning surprise: Golden Showers

Nothing like new blooms to brighten your day....

o

Very pretty with the blue companion flowers.

o

Update: several days later.

Since we rarely see photos of Golden Showers on this forum, I thought I'd add a couple more now that more blooms are blooming.

This rose is probably about 25 years old. Although it is a climber, I grow it more like a rambler or sprawling tall shrub. It's main limitations are that the blooms wilt quickly in the high heat of mid-summer, and it isn't the most disease-resistant climber, although it is not a disease-magnet either. Overall, it is a pretty good rose--willing bloomer when it is watered regularly and it's not too hot.

Golden Showers
Photobucket

Here is more of a close-up:
Photobucket

It certainly blooms earlier in the season than many of my other roses. Since it's still overcast (although we haven't had much rain), its sunshiny colors sure are welcome.

Kate

o

I like the rambling growth habit, very nice.

o

Beautiful!mine has 1bloom today I love the sweet scent of golden showers,its funny because I grow mine the same way.

o

So cool!!!!! I can't wait for my climber buds to open too!! Even stingy a** Climbing Okie from last year (with 2 pathetic blooms the entire year!) is now busting out! ...Went from an 7" plant then grew to about 2' in the fall then GREW SOME MORE DURING THE WINTER, LOL!It's 3' now, lol!

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 7, 12 at 10:01

What a great surprise to find! Lovely photos!

o

One last update: Here is Golden Showers in its second week of spring bloom. With no late freezes to contend with, it is blooming like it has never bloomed before, and the blooms are lasting.

Golden Showers--second week of bloom
Photobucket

Got another picture of it.
Photobucket

I just love all the bright color this rose has been bringing to the garden at a time when most of the roses are only in the bud stage.

Hope you enjoyed the evolving scene.

Kate

o

I am so glad that you kept giving us an update on the bloom cycle. Very interesting to observe.
Looks very serene and lovely.
Suebelle

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here