Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mashamcl

Some Austins, HTs and Floribundas

mashamcl
14 years ago

There is nothing like a cool overcast day to bring out the colors of William Shakespeare 2000.
{{gwi:1218592}}From Austins and Florries

A cluster of Gruss an Aachen
{{gwi:1218594}}From Austins and Florries

Colette
{{gwi:1218596}}From Austins and Florries

Ebb Tide
{{gwi:1218598}}From Austins and Florries

Regensberg. These are two shrubs one behind the other
{{gwi:1218600}}From Austins and Florries

Janet.
{{gwi:1218602}}From Austins and Florries
{{gwi:1218604}}From Austins and Florries

Bishop's Castle
{{gwi:1218606}}From Austins and Florries

Sunsprite
{{gwi:1218607}}From Austins and Florries

Angel Face
{{gwi:1218608}}From Austins and Florries

And Singin' the Blues next to it. This is the second bloom - seems to have fewer petals so far, but bigger overall. I like the unfussy look.
{{gwi:1218609}}From Austins and Florries

Just Joey
{{gwi:1218610}}From Austins and Florries
{{gwi:1218612}}From Austins and Florries

Cecille Brunner cl just to break up the big ones
{{gwi:1218613}}From Austins and Florries

Abraham Darby
{{gwi:1218614}}From Austins and Florries

Christopher Marlowe
{{gwi:1218615}}From Austins and Florries

Crown Princess Margareta on an arbor
{{gwi:1218616}}From Austins and Florries

Comtesse de Provence
{{gwi:1218617}}From Austins and Florries

Finally something called Parrot's Beak that I bought as a curiosity. When we saw it bloom for the first time this spring, my husband said it was scary looking but I quite like it. It trails out of a huge pot and then on over half our patio. We walk on it routinely, and it still blooms under our feet.
{{gwi:1218618}}From Austins and Florries

Masha

Comments (16)

• le_jardin_of_roses
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Masha, Comtesse de Provence looks so pretty. Is it as pretty in person? Does it bloom well for you? Might have to search for one. I like the coral pink colors on it and it has an old-fashioned bloom style to go with it. It's colors remind me of being on South Beach, in Miami.

Juliet

• odyssey3
    14 years ago

I love Comtesse de Provence too! Just my color of pink and love the cupped blooms. How is her blackspot resistance?

• ramblinrosez7b
    14 years ago

Your photos are wonderful, all the roses are so pretty and the foliage is so healthy looking.....thanks for sharing with us.

• kathy9norcal
    14 years ago

Wonderful looking roses. My favorite is Crown Princess M. You colors are excellent, too.
    Kathy

• bethnorcal9
    14 years ago

OMG Masha! Everything is just gorgeous!! JANET and BISHOP'S CASTLE are my faves! I had one of those parrot's beak things one yr, but it didn't make it. Never got that big either. That's cool!

• jean_ar
    14 years ago

WOW!!!! That is some gorgeous, beautiful roses.And I like that Parrots Beak, too.Its different for sure, but I like it.

Jean

• jeffcat
    14 years ago

It's interesting to see how Abe Darby behaves for some people. I've never had a bloom open up all the way like yours. All of my blooms stayed globular or cupped. My Christopher Marlowe is alive...barely after the winter. I'm sure the roots had a tough task to take on as it was a fairly new potted plant to begin with. Collete reminds me kind of like my Evelyn, but with a more definitive cup around the outside and less of a quartered rosette appearance on the inside. Your camera seems to a do a nice job of capturing the colors of everything and your roses are all gorgeous.

• iris_gal
    14 years ago

Love that shot of Cecille - can look at it and be right there!

My Colette is showing more apricot in spring. She only becomes that pretty pink later in summer.

Janet keeps looking special in every photo! I'm going to have this rose someday.

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    14 years ago

Nice roses and nice picture quality!

• huttnem
    14 years ago

I also look forward those cool overcast days or times after it rains to take photos. The color of WS2000 is wonderful. What a beautiful pic of Cecille Brunner!

• mashamcl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, everyone, for your nice comments!

Juliet, I have never met Comtesse de Provence (or Liv Tyler) in person:-). The rose is vigorous for me, and a good bloomer, as you can see she likes to bloom in clusters. The fragrance is great, I can always detect it, morning or evening, dry or humid, really one of the best roses for fragrance. Disease resistance is average, the foliage is never great. She is in my cutting garden, mostly out of sight.

Odyssey, I can't comment on blackspot as it is not a widespread issue around here.

Jeffcat, that's interesting. Most of the blooms on my AD start out cup-shaped but then open almost flat. Some canes break off from time to time because the blooms are so huge.

Masha

• msmisk
    14 years ago

Thank you for the beautiful pics - what a show !! I love that you included Cecile Brunner. Her fragrance is so wonderful, I've really enjoyed it while the windows have been open in this cool weather. And I have promised myself I'm going to cut mine WAY back when she's done and try to get her a little bit under control.

The color on your William Shakespeare is gorgeous. And you made me a little wistful for Just Joey and Angel Face, which I no longer have.

Carol

• mashamcl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, Carol. I love my Cecille Brunner too, and I agree the fragrance is wonderful and it wafts. I long ago gave up keeping mine under control. My poor neighbors whack at it and it only grows more:-). My kids and I have learned to duck under the weeping branches. Good luck pruning yours!

Masha

• organicgardendreams
    13 years ago

How nice to see some more of your fabulous roses, Masha! My absolute favorite is Bishop's Castle, right followed by Janet and Angel Face. Thanks for the photo treat!

Keep the pics coming!

Christina

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    13 years ago

I too love Comtesse de Provence for the color and its old rose look. Every time I see one of your pictures of Janet I regret getting rid of my two. Dummy me, all I had to do was transplant them to a spot where they'd be happier.

Beautiful pictures, every one. I can't wait for my Bishop's Castle to bloom. So far it only has small buds.

Ingrid

• mashamcl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, Christina and Ingrid.

Ingrid, don't regret getting rid of your Janet - I am very exasperated with mine. I hate those thin branches that can't support even the buds, let alone the blooms. Each bloom needs to be tied up individually by the neck, or they all hang upside down... I will see if I like it better when it climbs to the top of an arbor. If not, Janet will have an interview with Madame de Shovel.
    Masha