Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dublinbay

Some garden combinations

dublinbay z6 (KS)
11 years ago

If you are like me, you sometimes enjoy seeing roses growing in the garden surrounded by other plants. Here's a couple from my most recent photo jaunt of my garden.

Dublin Bay climber (background) and Braveheart shrub (foreground) complement each other well (with some other HTs in between), and the little white geraniums at their feet contrast so effectively. I love these red and white combinations. (Ignore my neighbor's junk in background. The new Queens of Sweden planted over there will grow up and at least partially block out that unpleasant sight!)

Another shot, taken down lower so neighbors junk can't be seen.

{{gwi:228928}}

Here's what that hedge of Queen of Sweden will look like. I've got one full-sized one over there along the neighbor's boundary line and just planted two new baby versions of Queen of Sweden over there also. Should make a spectacular hedge when they all grow up, don't you think?

{{gwi:218931}}

Here's a Monochromatic Study in Pink--Mortimer Sackler (tall Austin rose in background), Mayflower (Austin, second tallest rose on left), Our Lady of Guadalupe (smaller floribunda on the right), and an unknown peony (shorter bush in center) that was on the property when I moved here 25 years ago (I'm guessing it is Bowl of Beauty peony--very popular --deservedly-- at one time). I don't usually go for monochromatic groupings, but this one seems quite effective--due to different heights and types of plants? I will be planting Easter Basket (when it finally arrives by mail) in front of those two shorter plants. Easter Basket is whitish yellow with a light pink flush--will provide some contrast there.

{{gwi:328592}}

I might have shown a variation on this photo before, but this one particularly captures my neighbor's Knock Out rose forming a lovely background for my roses (pink Earth Song and yellow Molineux). Nice to have a neighbor who gardens and thus provides background for your roses! LOL

{{gwi:259578}}

Aren't gardens a fun way to celebrate spring!

Kate

Comments (9)

• jacqueline9CA
    11 years ago

Kate - Your roses are gorgeous!

I, too, like to have a garden with lots of roses, as opposed to a rose garden - here is picture of a part of my garden way out by the street (I took it standing on the sidewalk). The roses are, from the left, Gourmet Popcorn, Cl American Beauty, Opal Brunner, and Le Vesuve. In the foreground bed are vinca, South African daisies, Shasta daisies, Dutch Iris, wood hyacinth, iaxa, and volunteer Jupiter's Beard.

{{gwi:249385}}

Jackie

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jackie, I love those combinations. Not only are your roses lovely, but the mixed foreground bed is downright charming. Love it!

I think if anybody else has a recent photo of garden combinations involving roses and other plants, you should post on this thread also. Please do! We'd love to view them.

Kate

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

The red and white is my favorite combination. I have scarlet red and white together, but I want dark red like yours, Kate. Especially with the black iron. Perfect.

I hide the neighbor's junk the same way :)
    Renee

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

You have a wonderful eye, Kate, your garden is beautiful!

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    11 years ago

Nice pictures. Your Queen of Swedens are pretty for sure. Do you get a good repeat bloom on them? My Queen of Sweden does not repeat that well. I'm not sure what the problem is. It could be the location. I'm just curious.

• serenasyh
    11 years ago

Lovely gardens, Kate and Jackie. :)

• Krista_5NY
    11 years ago

Very lovely gardens, Kate and Jackie.

The roses and companions look wonderful.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for your comments, everyone.

bustopher--my Queen of Sweden is just in its third year in that spot, so I'm not sure what all it will or will not do, but I do remember that when the really hot weather (over 100 degrees for instance) comes in July and August, the Queen sulks until cooler autumn weather returns. I seem to remember that it bloomed for an exceptionally long time before the hot weather arrived, however. I'll probably have a better sense of its proclivities this summer. I think I also remember that I didn't water it as much as I probably should have last summer (its kinda out of the way for the hose to reach, so I sometimes forget to water it). It might be that the Queen is one of those Austins that likes generous waterings.

We should compare again at the end of the summer.

Kate

• lovemysheltie
    11 years ago

Wow. Beautiful gardens. Your neighbors must love the view :D