Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bethnorcal9

Spring is finally here!

bethnorcal9
12 years ago

It's been a very weird yr. But spring is finally here and things are popping out all over. We're supposed to get a little bit of light rain today and tomorrow, then go back to sunny days again (I think).

Here's some pics of the flora and fauna around the yard the last few days....

ADRIANA - always a big early bloomer

{{gwi:1218921}}

DR DEBAT in his yellow phase

{{gwi:1218922}}

FRAGRANT DELIGHT - the best bloom it's ever had

{{gwi:1218923}}

GREAT SCOTT looking a bit paler than usual

{{gwi:1218925}}

NORWICH CASTLE - always one of the earliest bloomers

{{gwi:1218927}}

VERSCHUREN - not the most beautiful of blooms, but I love the variegated leaves

{{gwi:1204141}}

tree peony SHIMADAIJIN (bloom was about 10-11")

{{gwi:1218928}}

a red/coral random splashed pelargonium (can't remember the name of it)

{{gwi:1218929}}

BLACK VELVET petunia - one of my favorite purchases last yr

{{gwi:1218930}}

bumblebee on CENTRANTHUS RUBRA (don't ever plant that stuff, you'll regret it)

{{gwi:1218932}}

NUTHATCH - picking seeds to stuff into the black walnut tree

{{gwi:1218933}}

CA SCRUB JAY choosing a peanut

{{gwi:1218934}}

SQUIRRELY watching and waiting for the birds to go away from the feeders

{{gwi:1218935}}

Comments (8)

• kathy9norcal
    12 years ago

Great photos, Beth. I love all the roses, particularly Norwich Castle. That petunia is wild, too! And the birds are fun to watch. I don't get nuthatches here.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    12 years ago

The first two photos are great--love that color. Norwich Castle is nice also.

So glad you have some early spring blooms to rejoice over!

Kate

• suebelle_neworleans
    12 years ago

Oh my goodness, I love seeing these wonderful pictures of Spring, not just the roses, but all of the photos.
    Wish I could grow peonies here, but it doesn't get cold enough.
    Gorgeous roses.
    Suebelle

• Krista_5NY
    12 years ago

Lovely pics, I especially like Fragrant Delight.

I've never seen a black petunia before, very interesting, really looks like velvet.

Nuthatches are one of my favorite birds, cute as a button they are. I like to watch them climb up and down tree trunks. I like their song, too, can hear them sometimes before I see them.

• serenasyh
    12 years ago

I am enjoying your photos to the MAX, Beth! I'm also waiting for your A through Z roses to start back up again, lol!

Dr. Debat and Fragrant Delight are my favorite but all are lovely! And what a huge, generous bloom from Adriana. I love how your peaches always maintain their delicate hue and gradations. Not until Royal Sunset did I ever have much luck with peaches. Anything light-colored always bleaches to white in my garden.

Your SHIMADAIJIN tree peony is absolutely EXQUISITE!!!

Hurrray, Beth, so happy you have a real bumblebee in your garden! In Kansas we use so much grubkiller (bumblebees nest in the ground) that I haven't seen a real bumblebee in my neighborhood. Instead, we are flooded by carpenter bees which people constantly mistake for bumblebees (one of my pet peeves, lol!) so I was pretty dang thrilled to see the fuzzy yellow on its tail....It is a GENUINE!

The Scrub Jay is gorgeous, I love its blue coloration and dainty build, almost like a cross between a blue jay and a bluebird. In fact it looks more like a bluebird with just the Zorro mask of the bluejay, haha! Nuthatch is cool!

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    12 years ago

I really like the colors of Dr. Debat and Norwich Castle. I also like your tree peony. My few of them bloomed this year quite early along with everything else, including some roses. Thanks for the eye candy.

• katefisher
    11 years ago

Hey Beth. Wonderful photos, thanks for sharing those. Looking forward to seeing more of your wonderful roses as the season unfolds. Thanks.

Kate

• lesmc
    11 years ago

I always enjoy your rose photos. There is always some I have never seen before.To me, I love to see some of the more unusual ones, which you grow. Thanks for posting! Lesley