Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amywmiles

Black Bacarra (long)

amywmiles
17 years ago

My husband and I bought Black Bacarra in March. I didn't really want to mess with it because I figured it would just turn out to be a deep red at best, but I'm really glad we got it now since it's turned out to be very dark! I wonder if it will fade some as the hotter summer months approach?

{{gwi:1221109}}

{{gwi:1221110}}

{{gwi:1221111}}

{{gwi:300979}}

{{gwi:300977}}

My little helper...

{{gwi:1221113}}

I included so many pictures to show how consistent the coloring is.

Amy

Comments (21)

• missflippins
    17 years ago

That's a very dark red. How pretty! I love the helper - he/she is a cutie. My friend has a helper that looks just like your helper.

• amywmiles
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you, missflippins. My little helper is a she and her name is Jolene. She LOVES the rose petals.

• aprille
    17 years ago

Amy - first I must say your helper is a cutie - and I love her name! Reminds me of Dolly Parton's song ...

Your Black Baccara is gorgeous. Love that dark colour.

Aprille

• michellesg
    17 years ago

That is a beautiful rose! Where did you purchase that bush? All the ones I've seen have been a deep red but none that black. I showed my dh your pics and all he said was "I need that rose".

• jean_ar
    17 years ago

wow.I need that rose,too.Its gorgeous.I wonder if it will fade some too,as the hot summer gets here.It is sure beautiful right now. I love your little helper,Shes a little cutie. A Jack Russell??
    Thanks for sharing your beautiful rose.

Jean

• amywmiles
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Aprille, Jolene is named after the Dolly Parton song. She loves me to death until my husband comes around and then she only has eyes for him, so she really lives up to her name.

Michelle, I purchased this rose at RCW Nursery in Houston. I'll include a link to their website at the bottom of this post. I don't think they do mail orders but if you call them, ask for the rose lady and she might be able to help you find one closer to you. I think you live near me if that is your zip code??

Aprille, yes, Jolene is a Jack Russell. And I'll post pics of Black Bacarra in the hotter summer months. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she stays like this. She has a bit of early afternoon shade, but she will get the scorching afternoon sun.

Amy

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to RCW Nursery

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    17 years ago

Mine tends to get red highlights in hot summer sun, but it stays pretty dark. The flowers last a long time no matter what the weather.

Jolene is a cutie!

• bethnorcal9
    17 years ago

Great pics Amy! Mine hasn't grown much in the 3 yrs I've had it, until now. The red/burgundy/white bed I planted last yr is coming to life with a vengeance and I can't wait to see if mine will look as good as yours! And BTW, Jolene is quite a cutie! My sister-in-law has a Jack Russell and she named her Stella, but we all call her "Stinky!" I don't remember why... but she's quite a little character.

• rosegrower
    17 years ago

Interesting rose, it's the darkest I've seen or closest to black. I like the photo with it opened, it looks like velvet. What a cute little helper you have!

• michellesg
    16 years ago

Thanks for the info Amy! I am in San Antonio but make it out to Tomball on occasion. My french bulldog's (foster dog) dermatologist is out there (long story!), like down the street. His allergy study is over but he hasn't gotten any decent applications to adopt him so we may be out there again for whatever follow up he needs. I'll be sure to give them a call either way and see if I can't locate one of these beauties!

• cajunrosegal
    16 years ago

I WANT that rose! OMG that color is just to die for. Thanks for posting.
    Ang

• amywmiles
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, everyone, for all the kind words (about the rose and Jolene). It's ironic that the rose I would have passed on, had it not been for my husband, has turned out to be one of my favorite. I'm also glad to hear, hoovb, that it should stay dark. :)

Amy

• canadian_rose
    16 years ago

DH should get a nice, long smooch for holding out for that beauty!!!

Carol

• peachiekean
    16 years ago

I remember seeing this rose once and its petals were thick and almost leather like, but looked like velvet. Your pictures are amazing!

• patricianat
    16 years ago

Ours faces west which is not a good thing for a dark or red rose, but it does have thick petals and they do not off-color as bad as most reds, but it does somewhat in the summer, but very little.

• ladybutterfly
    16 years ago

How very BEAUTIFUL!! I love this rose!!!

• katefisher
    16 years ago

Amy:

Your rose is simply lovely! You know this time of year I am looking for nice roses on sale or otherwise and the last three nurseries I have gone to have had Black Baccara. I have been thinking about if/where I could incorporate it into my yard. I did a search here and found this thread and was wondering if you might give us an update? How did your rose do this summer? More pictures maybe? Have you found this rose to have good disease resistance?

I can see now I am probably going to have to make the trek back to Reno to pick up that Black Baccara that was on sale for $10.00:)

Thank you.

Kate

• bethnorcal9
    16 years ago

Wow those are some gorgeous pictures Amy! I don't usually like photos with a flash, but that one makes the petals look so velvety!! Love it!

• newrosem
    16 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous color, so dark and sumptuous.
    Wish I could get one just like yours, will have to scour the net/local nurseries. Interesting, often the varieties sold are nowhere near your "black" and are much redder.

• august
    16 years ago

I miss my Black Baccara! Oh, if only Carlton's was still in business...

• katefisher
    16 years ago

Are some of you with this rose having a fall flush right now? I really fell in love with this rose this summer but since I'm already scolding myself about what I can and cannot have next spring I am trying to limit myself to roses that have a pretty good rate of rebloom.

Good rebloom on Black Baccara?

Thanks.

Kate

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH