Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
berndoodle

Chris Warner Cl. Miniature, Gloriana

berndoodle
17 years ago

I grow it as a free standing, somewhat pegged shrub. I can't understand why everyone doesn't grow this rose.

Comments (11)

• timetogrowthegarden
    17 years ago

Holy cow! That is one stunning bush! I'll have to put it on my ever growing list of must haves.
    ~Melissa

• aprille
    17 years ago

oh my god! that thing is stunning!

aprille

• lesdvs9
    17 years ago

That is an drop dead, absolutely gorgeous rose! I have never seen nor heard of this one either. But, I have to confess, until I moved down from the mtns I didn't know there were other minis than the ones Mr. Moore hybridized and grew in his nursery either that I visit frequently:)

HMF says this is a floribunda though. Do you have any idea where you can find one of these at? Is it as healthy as it looks in your photo?
    Leslie

• kathy9norcal
    17 years ago

Totally amazing. Never heard of it. It reminds me of Lavender Delight.
    Kathy

• berndoodle
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I got it from Heirloom some years ago after I saw it in England and obsessed about importing it. It is still available from Heirloom, appears on their miniature list of those available in "limited quantity."

The foliage is spectacular, dark blue green and absolutely disease free all the time.

The seed parent is a mini, the pollen parent is Big Purple. They like florries in the UK. In the UK they call it a "patio climber." Whatever. Everyone who loves mauve needs one.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• lesdvs9
    17 years ago

Thanks for the additional info, that's really an awesome looking rose, wow!
    Leslie

• jean_ar
    17 years ago

Wow, Thats the most beautiful Mini I have ever seen any where.Would love to have it growing in my yard,but it probably wouldn't be that big and gorgeous here.That b ush is amazing.Beautiful.Thanks for sharing it.

Jean

• canadian_rose
    17 years ago

Glory be that's an amazing rose - and the COLOR!!!!! What zone do you live in? S T U N N I N G ! ! !

Carol

• loveisroses
    17 years ago

Select Roses carries this mini climber. Here is what they say on their site.....
    Remarkable colour combined with the indestructible climbing nature are going to make this English bred rose a favorite for years to come. Our test plant is growing in a boggy crowded area in the garden and yet it never fails to shoot up tremendous fresh growth and roses each summer. I hack of the top of the plant each spring and by summers end its about 8-10 feet all over again. The colour is shocking pink to grape purple, well formed buds and long lasting flowers. The foliage is dark glossy green and healthy. Some black spot can be seen later in the season but it never slows the plant down. Gloriana grows upright but can be trained along a fence or arbour. One plant of this rose will produce hundreds of perfect flowers during a growing season.

Breeder: Warner 1998..

• msjam2
    17 years ago

Oh dear, who do I have to SP so that I can get this rose? Absolutely stunning!! LOVE IT, thank you for sharing, I'm crazy about purples lately.

LOVE IT!!

Did I yell that a little too loud? lol

• berndoodle
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm in zone 9a, Northern California, in coastal influenced Sonoma County, with unusually high rainfall, winters sometimes in the teens, but usually just low 20's. I am no test at all for the hardiness of this rose. The other thing is roses inclined to blackspot badly will get it here - - the ones that blackspot everywhere but the desert. Unlike many parts of California, I have quite a bit of rain. But as a rule, we don't get blackspot in California, not like back east and in the southeast. It's just not an issue.

Our big issues are rust (throw the rose away) and powdery mildew. Look: here's a poor shot of the foliage taken last October 1. That's after it was on the plant six months in a no spray garden. I have few roses with better foliage than this: