Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snowheather

Let's See Your New Blooms!

snowheather
13 years ago

My garden is exploding with blooms now. Here are some of my new or newer ones! Now let's see some of yours!

This is the first bloom on CRESCENDO:

Here is the first bloom on DARK KNIGHT ( aka GARDEN DIRECTOR BARTJE MILLER):

Here is the floribunda COLORIFIC:

Here is the floribunda WHITE LICORICE:

Here is MOODY BLUE:

Here is the floribunda OCCHI DI FATA (This is just one flower, but it blooms in clusters and changes colors!)

Here is the floribunda MONKEY BUSINESS:

More to come - hope you will share yours!

Comments (42)

• iris_gal
    13 years ago

Crescendo is stunning. I have a weakness for that color combo. Great picture of Dark Knight.

Our unheard-of hailstorm yesterday did its damage to all blooming plants!

If you also have Julia Child, how does it compare to Monkey Business in lasting qualities? TIA

• snowheather
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I do have Julia Child, but don't know the answer to your question yet - I got Monkey Business last year, but it was just getting growth on it last year and this is the first bloom period this year. I'll keep an eye on it and see.

• bethnorcal9
    13 years ago

Wow! Gorgeous gorgeous! I'm jealous. Won't have anything for a few weeks yet. Where'd you get MOODY BLUE? Hortico?

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    13 years ago

Beautiful all of them. I lost my 1st year Monkey Business over winter. It showed some promise once the cool weather showed up last fall, but during the summer it opened very quickly (too quickly for my tastes really). Now I'll never know if it would have done better its second year. Of yours my favorite is Dark Knight. I didn't expect it to look as lively for some reason. I thought it would be more of a dead/dark blackish red. Does it have any fragrance? I'm really liking the form...Maryl

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    13 years ago

Very interesting! I have a few of these this year. Thanks for sharing. I also am curious as to where you got Moody Blue.

• snowheather
    Original Author
    13 years ago

DARK KNIGHT doesn't have any scent that I have discerned so far, but this is its first bloom cycle. On the positive side, it is a very healthy, fast-growing plant with lots of blooms. On the minus, it seems to open a little fast, and the open blooms aren't attractive, especially if they get wet!

Yes, I bought MOODY BLUE from Hortico last year, and I know it is a bit of a shocker, but I have received everything I ordered, on time, and in good shape for the past three years! Of course, I shouldn't tell that to anyone who is downsizing - or who, like me, has to dig one up for every one planted! I like the fact that they no longer list roses they don't have. It makes their selection less exciting, but you don't get disappointed when they don't have what you wanted.

• bethnorcal9
    13 years ago

I figured that's where you go it. I saw it on the list for a short time, but then it was gone. I thought maybe they didn't really have it. But, I see now they remove roses from the website once they are sold out. And yes, they have been better recently about getting the inventory right and sending the right roses. I did get a handful from them this season. I wanted a rose called SALVATION that they briefly listed, but I waited too long, and it was gone by the time I placed my order. One rose I wanted and got was HENRIETTA BARNETT. My mom had an aunt (or a great aunt) by the same name.

• katefisher
    13 years ago

Whoa. So many pretty blooms. The fact that you have blooms period is noteworthy. I still have a pile of snow in my front yard:) But I did go out yesterday and do a little cleanup. Really yesterday was the first day so far this year it was nice enough to do so.

Enjoyed your pictures. Thanks.

Kate

• C Schaffner
    13 years ago

Your dark knight is beautiful. I can't get a good picture of my dark night. But I agree it is a fast grower. Mine is in it's first year and it is covered in blooms.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    13 years ago

Thanks for your experience with Dark Knight. Since we are kissing cousins state wise, I value your input...Colorific is on my short list (depending on Cliff's lottery). How's it been for you?....Maryl

• snowheather
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, it is strange how I feel I know all of you, and, especially you, Maryl, since you are a neighbor, sort of!
    I love COLORIFIC. I actually got all of Week's 2011 releases last year as a prize for a garden photo contest. Well, I got all of them but GRANDE DAME, which I have now. Anyway, they are all great, as far as I am concerned, but, of course, I am a huge fan of floribundas. I was just looking at my plant of WHITE LICORICE and it is really stunning in full bloom. I'll try to get a picture of it.

Yes, Pelicanhead, that DARK KNIGHT is a fast grower. It was a bare root and planted next to GIRL'S NIGHT OUT. It is now twice as big as its neighbor and covered with blooms. I just think you have to deadhead it quickly when the blooms turn old looking.

Beth, I love the looks of HENRIETTA BARNETT! Too bad I am never buying another rose. (And, if you believe that, I have some more stories to tell you!)

Hey, Iris Gal, how are your iris doing? Mine are just gorgeous now! Don't they go well with roses?

Bustopher, don't forget to send pictures of your new ones. And Kate, I can't believe you have snow. I am sure spring is almost there!

• olivia23( NC zone 7 )
    13 years ago

OMG on the photo of Dark Knight!!! I received an Edmund's catalog a month or so ago and on the cover was a photo of the rose Dark Knight. I wasn't sure if that is what it really looked like but seeing your photo, it is just as amazing as I was hoping it would be. I must buy one now!

• C Schaffner
    13 years ago

What kind of camera do you use? Your pictures are so clear. I bought a new slr and got a macro lense just for taking pictures of flowers, but they don't seem very clear like yours. I don't know it I'm, doing something wrong or what.

• jon_z6b
    13 years ago

Very pretty pictures. I don't have very many blooms yet but here's an early bird.

• canadian_rose
    13 years ago

Wow!! My favs are Dark Knight, Colorific and Moody Blues. You have captured such perfect specimens!!! Colorific looks incredible. I want one!!!

Jon - what rose is that?

Carol

• ron_and_susan
    13 years ago

Snowheather--Love your pics! Just wondering is Crescendo a HT?--Ron

• jon_z6b
    13 years ago

Carol, it's one of mine (Knockout x Oklahoma).
    Speaking of roses without a name. I have a collected very old (because the old man from whom I took the clipping from said it used to be his moms and was at least 60 years old) once blooming climbing yellow that bloomed today.
    Any takes on an identity?

• snowheather
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Pelicanhead - I use a Canon G-10. It is almost as good as an SLR and I put it on Macro when I shoot blooms. I do want to get an SLR, maybe this year.

Jon - you crossed Oklahoma and Knockout? Brilliant! Is it disease-free?

Yes, Ron, Crescendo is a HT- Jackson and Perkins new release this year. I wonder if they will have any more, and what Keith Zary is doing now. That is so sad to think about.

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    13 years ago

Do you the HT Pristine by any chance? If so, how close does Crescenco resemble Pristine?

• snowheather
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I haven't had PRISTINE since I moved here, but it likely is similar. CRESCENDO was developed from GEMINI and NEW ZEALAND. It differs from a lot of the show roses of similar coloration because it has a strong fragrance.

• queenbee_1
    13 years ago

I think I NEED Crescendo! It is a beauty...

• canadian_rose
    13 years ago

Jon - how cool!!! Does it have Oklahoma's fragrance or the no fragrance from Knockout? I really admire anyone who can hybridize. You should start a thread with pictures of roses you've hybridized. It would be so interesting.

Carol

• bethnorcal9
    13 years ago

Yippee! My Edmunds order came today. Now I have my DARK NIGHT!! Yaaay!!

And here's a couple of new blooms on some new plants that arrived a few weeks ago from Two Sisters...

THE STREAK
    {{gwi:1222635}}

BLUE SUEDE SHOES
    {{gwi:1204568}}

Now if my established roses would just start blooming... (sigh)

• iris_gal
    13 years ago

The Streak can streak right on over here.

• bethnorcal9
    13 years ago

Irisgal, THE STREAK is a miniflora that is pretty good-sized. Blooms are a little over 3". I think I'm really going to like it!

• iris_gal
    13 years ago

I'm shocked that's a mini Beth. 3.1 inches plus will make a pretty display. Great striping and colors.

• canadian_rose
    13 years ago

I really like Blue Suede Shoes - lovely!

Carol

• seil zone 6b MI
    13 years ago

I like OCCHI DI FATA and would love to see a picture of the bush with it's many colors!

• texasrosegal
    13 years ago

Looking good, Snowheather! My Dark Night hasn't bloomed yet. I can't wait now that I see yours!

• buford
    13 years ago

{{gwi:1222636}}

Devonisis. I think this is one of the prettiest rose blooms I have ever seen.

{{gwi:1222637}}

Rosette d'Lizzy

{{gwi:1222640}}

Tradescant

{{gwi:1222641}}

Double Delight

{{gwi:1222642}}

an almost all white Double Delight

• snowheather
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I can almost smell them, Buford! I love the romantic look of all of them. You must have a very fragrant garden!

Oh, and Seil, I will try to get a picture of OCCHI DI FATA's shrub, but I think it is almost finished its first bloom of the season. I know it won Best Floribunda in some of the World Trials fairly recently - so I guess they appreciate singles in Europe, too!

• canadian_rose
    13 years ago

Buford!!!! That Rosette d'Lizzy is enchanting!!! Wow!!

Double Delight is really interesting - is that pretty rare for it to be pure white?

Thanks,
    Carol

• lesmc
    13 years ago

Snowhether...I bought and planted White Licorice yesterday due to your beautiful picture! Can`t wait to see it bloom. Thank you!!!

• canadian_rose
    13 years ago

Very lovely!!!

I sure do like Morden Blush - yours look great from far away, because of all of the blooms!! Tiffany is just gorgeous - those colors are spectacular!!

Love all the color in your other photos - the unknown one is spectacular!!!

Wow!
    Carol

• buford
    13 years ago

canadian, and to think, I had RdL on my shovel prune list. I haven't had luck with her, but I did cut her back a lot this spring and took out all the older canes. Maybe they were damaged.

Double Delight is one of those roses that starts out light and will turn red and darken with sun exposure. Sometimes I let the blooms get just a tinge and bring them in and they stay creamy. But this is the whitest DD bloom I've ever seen. I almost thought it was the rose next to DD creeping over, but it wasn't.

• canadian_rose
    12 years ago

buford - good thing you didn't shovel prune RdL - talk about gorgeous and a really interesting picture you made of her!!

CArol

• Aimee Ellingsen
    7 years ago

Snowheather, where did you purchase Occhi di Fata? Help Me Find only lists nurseries outside the US, but I'd love to get that one!

• Cenk H
    7 years ago

Crescendo is amazing!!!! And Dark Night is such a beauty. My current Dark Night bloom turned out something like this:

• bethnorcal9
    7 years ago

Aimee, Roses Unlimited carries OCCHI DI FATA. Their new website is still under construction, but they have it listed. You might email them and see if they do in fact have it in stock.

• Aimee Ellingsen
    7 years ago

Thank you for the tip about where to get Occhi di Fata! I contacted them!

• Nola z5aWI
    2 years ago

Jon_z6b Did you ever identify the once blooming yellow climber you got a cutting from? Its very pretty!