Return to the Rose Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Montezuma Roses

Posted by Caliex78 Fl (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 2, 14 at 19:58

Hello, my name is JJ. I'm new here but I would like to share my Montezuma roses with everyone. They had formed buds approximately two months ago and over the last three weeks have began opening. There are 9 flowers it has produced, 7 are in opening and one is still in bud form. They are a perfect pink color, not bright, light, or dark. They seem quite strong and the fragrance has been increasing and for me they are my favorite roses to grow. I've enjoyed watching them for weeks now, and they still are not fully open. So far I have one as large as my hand and continues to expand. Unfortunately my yellow roses are not doing as well, they have become yellow and spotted in the leaves and everything I do for it does seem to help. I'm thinking of cutting it back to the wood, I had one soul flower form nears to its base, it hope this works.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Montezuma Roses

Welcome JJ.

I love the form and unusual color of 'Montezuma'. Their color is perfect in bouquets with white shastas and they last so well. Thanks for posting your picture. Reminds me I'd love to replace my lost one.

o

I don't know why but I had no idea Montezuma was such a beautiful and unusual color (actually it's the exact color of the top I'm wearing right now!) It's hard to put a name to- a salmon-coral-rosy-pink?

About your yellow roses- do you mean black spot? BS is mostly from the rose being damp and not getting enough air circulation. The wikipedia picture isn't that great- the leaves of my roses turn lemon yellow under the spots. Here in Sacramento, California it's generally only a problem until the heat of summer, but that might not work in Florida.

Here is a link that might be useful: Black Spot on wikipedia

o

Nice picture of a variety that isn't seen all that much. Thanks for sharing.

o

That's a lot of blooms for a rose in a small pot. Way to go!!! Looks like a winner. I love the color too. Aren't roses wonderful?
Carol

o

Thanks for the link! It is black spot on the green leaves but also its leaves are continuously turning yellow. Ive always have trouble with yellow roses ever since I traded it to a larger pot this has been happening. Do you think that if I were to use a different pot with more holes would be better? I live in Tampa and its sandy, I miss the Maine soil I could grow just about anything. I found this Montezuma rose among 30 white tea roses on clearance, it was tiny in December but now it's doing well I didn't think I'd get flowers so soon and without any special fertilizer it reminds me of my peonies I left behind

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here