Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aubreysrose

More pretty ladies

aubreysrose
12 years ago

Loving this time of year. We've had great weather and every time I walk outside I see find a new bloom to love.

Punkin Patch

Oklahoma

Love (she was hot pink last year, this year looking much more of a deep red)

Double Delight

Broadway

Arizona (she'll be more pink when she's fully opened)

Don Juan

Paradise

So many blooms, so little time.....

Comments (10)

• queenbee_1
    12 years ago

Beautiful! I love them all..

• bob_71
    12 years ago

Very pretty!

I particularly like the Double Delight. For some reason, I have never grown this one.

Thanks for sharing with us.

Bob

• HIWTHI
    12 years ago

aubrey, your roses are gorgeous. I know this is the gallery forum, but I am new to rose growing and have a question regarding your soil. Am I seeing right that there is no mulch in your beds? Is this standard practice for growing roses? Again, I'm new to this so pleaes don't think this is too stupid a question. Thank you

• inga007
    12 years ago

Delightful. Thanks for sharing

• strawchicago z5
    12 years ago

Nice shot of all roses. I love how you capture Paradise's beauty. Your roses are so healthy - thanks for sharing.

• aubreysrose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

HIWTHI - Boy do I wish I had some great advice to offer. I just started growing last year so I'm learning as I go. I do have mulch, specifically cause we have good old red clay here, which means amend, amend, amend and is the only way to keep them from laying in rock hard mud. Honestly I have a feeling I would be informed that this is probably not the best option if I asked around. Last year was a disaster of disease and pest so if my babies look good this year I can only credit a ton of pruning, prep and good weather.

Thank ya'll (it's a KY thing) for all the compliments!

• suebelle_neworleans
    12 years ago

These are some lovely roses. You surely have captured the beauty of the red roses. Cameras usually don't get the red color correct. Great job on the roses and the pictures.
    Love the Double Delight.
    Suebelle

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

They're lovely, Aubrey! Your DD looks wonderful!

• HIWTHI
    12 years ago

thanks aubrey and you look like you are doing great with your gorgeous roses. I'm too afraid to try to grow anything but knockouts right now. I'm educating myself reading what other more experienced gardeners are doing in my area and hopefully I'll get brave enough to try some other roses besides knockouts one day.

I too am planting in virgin soil that is compacted from the heavy equipment when building my house. It is horrible stuff. Ugh!! I've been amending, amending, amending and it's coming along nicely so far. Actually am seeing worms already.

Do you know about putting newspaper or other paper, can be brown, down, then putting your cypress or whatever mulch you use on top? It's great to keep the grass and weeds down and the worms love it. I pull the mulch back when the paper is gone, to add more all season long. This is what I did at my old garden and that's what I'll do with this one. I had 2 ft. worms in that other garden. LOL Not quite that big, but some looked like they could pass for small snakes!!

I stick with the organic gardening techniques so as not to kill the worms. Oh one more thing, the soil will benefit greatly from alfalfa also. I don't know if you have a feed store close by, but that's where I bought mine. It was a 25# bag for $15. I sprinkled it all over the lawns and all the beds, vegetable and flower. Water it in or let mother nature water it in. If you have critters around like rabbits or things of that nature, they will eat it if it's not watered in.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing more of your beautiful roses.

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Don Juan is stunning. What a color!
    Renee

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH