• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    10 years ago

polka

this rose was the one everyone wanted a picture with along with Pierre

• hosenemesis
    10 years ago

ARGH! I can't see the sweet close-up!
    Beautiful photos- I love Pierre. It looks best with black, I think.
    Renee

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    10 years ago

closeup of polka

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    10 years ago

sorry, I forgot Colette's portrait

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry hosenemesis, I fixed it as soon as I noticed it.

Dublin Bay

• hosenemesis
    10 years ago

Polka is my second favorite climber after Pierre. Thanks for the eye candy.

• dove_song
    10 years ago

Ohhh...how dreamy, Kitty. Totally exquiste. Sigh...makes me sooooo grateful to be alive. Thanks ever so much, my friend. :)

• sidos_house
    10 years ago

You are so lucky to have a resource like the Huntington. I love climbers; my favorites here are Candy Land and Polka.

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sister said Malvern Hills was better on the top of the trellis so here it is

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

Oh my....goodness....me !!!!

I've never seen in person anything like that. I would love to see those in person. Where are they?? Where is Huntington??

My favorite is Pierre (can't remember the rest now LOL)

Thank you for the beauty!!
    Carol

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's the link to this wonderful garden. Actually, many wonderful gardens with art galleries, a mansion, and a graceful marble monument.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Huntington

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

Looks pretty impressive! Thanks for the link.
    Carol

• iris_gal
    10 years ago

I adore climbing roses. Super picture of Pierre de Ronsard (aka Eden ?) and the arches. I buried a 5-gal. pot of Colette which is working well at keeping this rose about 4.5 ft. She has become a favorite in the 6 yrs. or so that I've had her. Color can be pinkish and peachish on the same spray. No disease in my no-spray bed. An unobstrusive charmer.

Polka was my lust-want. Then 2 friends planted her and they were both disappointed. Scanty rebloom was one reason. I had seen it the 1st spring and it was the softest glowing shade of peachy-pink. Oh to have a drawerful of lingerie in that color! The 2nd spring it wasn't the same rose. An average peach-apricot. Drat. I thought I'd found the epitome of climbers.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Love them all but was very interested in the shot of Candy Land. I got one 2 years ago and it's still only 2 feet tall, lol.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Oh, I'm having to catch my breath, these photos are so stunning. What a great pick me up for December. I was happy to see Colette's photo since I'm growing her, and she's still small. These are all so beautiful. Thank you, kitty.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

It's gorgeous--all over again. Now I'm looking around wondering where I could put in more pillars for more climbing roses.

Kate

• lovesblooms
    10 years ago

Gorgeous--I'm looking for more pillars, too! I have two Dublin Bays and they've grown quite a bit in two years (considering their half- to three-quarters shade conditions) but nothing like that show. I can't wait for third season, I've heard climbers usually get really started then.

Question: I have a southwest-facing front ranch "porch" with an overhang and pillars that gets full sun, but its completely barricaded by a 3-foot hedge along the front. If I could remove it and put in roses I would, but I can't. So I'm thinking to put my two DBs roses in large urns behind the hedge so they can climb the pillars. They already have 5- and 6-foot canes, so at least the tops of them would be out of the shadow of the hedge. Do climbers do well with their roots (and bottom of the canes) in the shade?

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes to roots in the shade. They like that, but climbers need space to grow roots and so pots might not give enough room for a big climber's root system.

• lovesblooms
    10 years ago

Thanks for your helpful response--and for luring me back to swoon over these gorgeous climbers again!