Few of the minis

lesdvs9
14 years ago

Thanks for looking,

Les

Comments (17)

• phatboyrose
    14 years ago

What a beautiful array of minis you have they are all just Outstanding and thanks for sharing them with us.
    Harold

• iris_gal
    14 years ago

These are lovely.

Do you know what font you used on the top ones? It's perfect.

• lesdvs9
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you Harold, this is just a small selection of what I grow and what a nice thing for you to say:)

Thanks Iris_gal, that'd be Ruach LET font. I like it even better than Edwardian.

• bethnorcal9
    14 years ago

Beautiful! I love LAVENDER CRYSTAL!

• becky_rose
    14 years ago

These are great pictures. I really like 'Thanks to Sue'. Is it disease resisitant, and vigorous?

• lesdvs9
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Beth, this has always been a fav of mine everywhere I've lived:)
    Thanks Becky_rose, Thanks To Sue is around 4'tall and wide. I've got a bush pic somewhere. I'll try to put it up for you. I didn't take many pics last year. Current pic is only size it is now, not what it'll be at season's end. No disease probs, my biggest pest probs are aphids, rose slugs and budworms. This rose also depending on temps can be apricot or a peach hue. If you've looked at the pics on HMF & were wondering on colors. This is a mini flora also, btw.

A lot of the roses I post this year will have bush pics on HMF or if interested I can put one up.

• organicgardendreams
    14 years ago

Les, I love your miniature roses! Especially Winter Magic and Sweet Arlene have caught my attention, these ash-colors are just so beautiful and unusual, you hardly see those in other rose classes. Anyway, can you tell me a little bit more about these two minis and how they are doing for you? Thanks in advance!

Lavender Crystal is also very pretty!

Christina

• lesdvs9
    Original Author
    14 years ago

This is Thanks To Sue, I pruned this hard and thinned it for cuttings a few weeks ago so it looks 'thin', usually it's thick and full and it'll be taller than this again in a few weeks. She has those beautiful red canes and glossy green leaves. I see in the pic my husband nailed it w/size 13 feet working on new sprinklers.

Sweet Arlene is usually around 5' tall and almost 4' wide. It's very fragrant, bumps up to Angel Face in strength of fragrance if you've ever had that pleasure. Different scent tho. SA is mini flora while Winter Magic is a mini. My biggest probs with these two roses or I should say complaint is thrips when it's hot. From a distance they look lovely and if you get to the buds in the am before they do, they still make a nice rose to cut and bring in without damage. Winter Magic grows around 4' tall and wide. The blooms on SA are a more perfect HT look to them while Winter Magic can have a softer look. I took those pics just before the rain instead of creating shade to try for true color. Color for me on roses depends on both time of year and temps same as bloom size. Both roses with cool temps have larger blooms than when it's warm. Didn't think to measure for you which I can. Both these roses are grown in full sun without any shade at all. I can't think of any burning on blooms but possibly it happens once I hit 110's. I have to check my oldest pics. Lavender Crystal sits beside Winter Magic and it does. Winter Magic does have a nice fragrance but it's not very strong. I can't think of anything else to add. I saw someone somewhere say they had to have 3 of Lavender Crystals to make a nice size plant. I had to laugh, mine is pretty good size all by itself, would not want to put 3 tog.
    This is Sweet Arlene, rain bet down the tall canes, I need to do more pruning after blooming for strength, this rose likes to grow tall, I have to keep cutting for more side growth.

This is Winter Magic, also pruned for cuttings few weeks ago.

Sorry, I was sick last year and just didn't get many pics for mature bushes beyond what you find of old ones at HMF.
    just for fun, Lavender Crystal

Hope these help you out, happy to answer any other questions you have.
    Leslie

• organicgardendreams
    14 years ago

Les, many thanks for all the detailed information that you have given about Sweet Arlene and Winter Magic and also for the additional bush shots. Both look like great roses to me and I am sold. I will see where I can order them.

Thanks again for enabling me to get some minis! Even though I grow roses for quite a while I am almost new to growing minis.

Oh, one last questions, since your SA and WM grow so well may I ask where you got yours from?

Christina

• aimeekitty
    14 years ago

gorgeous photos!

• lesdvs9
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Christina, Not too much dif between growing minis and full size for me, on a lot of my mini bushes grow just as big. Dif comes in the size of the blooms:) Some of my mini blooms can be as large as some of the smaller variety roses tho:) Also usually the minis are the first to bloom in the spring and last to finish in the fall. I'm glad you're going to give minis a try, I think you'll be happy.
    SA came from NorEast and Winter Magic from Sequoia Nursery, both out of business now, well NorEast from Retail sales. But you should be able to obtain them from Burlington Roses which is also here locally. Not sure on the availability of either but call and Burling will be happy to help you, if not avail, place a wait order for you. I vouch for her roses, beautiful clean roses and clean neat set up nursery:) I'll be out there tomorrow and I'll check also.

Aimeekitty, thank you, that's very nice of you to say. I'm glad you enjoyed the pics:)

Here is a link that might be useful: Burlington Roses

• carla17
    14 years ago

Evil enabler you!! Either you have some new ones that I haven't seen or I missed seeing them in the past. I can tell you love your roses, Leslie. Sachet has such nice petals and I love Cl. Orchid Jubilee!

Carla

• jean_ar
    14 years ago

Wow!! Les. Your m ini's are gorgeous,I love that LAVENDAR CRYSTAL, its gorgeous.I like PENNIES FROM HEAVEN, too. I planned to get that one, too, but,I never did.Those first pictures, did you take them at night.They certainly are good pictures.

Jean

• lesdvs9
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Carla and no I haven't added any in a couple years. I wasn't able to do anything last year.

Thank you too Jean. I take pics when I can on overcast days that we've been having lately and at sunset. I don't get up early enough anymore to get them then, LOL* I know where you can obtain Pennies From Heaven should you decide you want that one after all. It's a easy growing climber and one that doesn't like a lot of water like most of them. Winter Magic is a gray lavender and or a gray/white lavender depending on heat and time of day.
    Les

• serenasyh
    14 years ago

What enchanting little minis these are Leslie!

• organicgardendreams
    14 years ago

Les, thanks for the info about the size that your miniatures get for you. That is helpful to know. I hope that minis in my garden will also bloom the first and the last out of all my roses. I wasn't aware that they can have longer bloom cycle than all the other roses.

Thank you very much for letting me know where you obtained your minis and for the recommendation of Burlington Roses. I will check her out.

Christina

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    14 years ago

Very nice! Great photos!

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations