Return to the Rose Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
For those of us who are just leaving winter...

Posted by KSGreenman 6a (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 4, 13 at 21:42

Some roses greet spring with leaves of red

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: For those of us who are just leaving winter...

While some greet spring with leaves of green

o

Some are too shy yet for greetings at all

o

While others steadfast have stood thru the cold

o

(proof Darlow's Engima had leaves all winter)

o

Oooh!! All of my roses are still in the garage. I'm planning on Tuesday on taking out of the garage the 8 (of the 45) that I'm going to be using in my brand new adventure in hybridizing. Then I'll put those 8 back in the garage every night
It's so exciting to see those new leaf buds, etc. Thanks for giving me goose bumps of anticipation.
Carol.

o

I just removed the last of my roses from the garage last night. I waited until the forecast was fairly warm before removing the zone 7 roses. On the other hand, I tried out an old rule I used with container gardening before I grew roses, that if a plant was hardy two zones further north than you were, it would be safe outside with no protection during the winter, so my zone 3 and 4 roses spent the winter outside, which was how Darlow's Enigma got to show it keeps its green leaves all thru the snow. Most of them came thru the winter fine, with little dieback except a couple that weren't very happy to start with, and George Burns which I wonder if his zone rating wasn't a fluke.

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 6, 13 at 20:14

They look ready to go!

I have some starting here too. Well, they're in the pot ghetto not the ground but they're green!

o

Only sticks here with swollen buds... Things are slow this year it seems...

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 7, 13 at 21:19

You know I thought so too, Jim. But really, last year we had no winter to speak of and things were too early! I think we got spoiled, lol.

o

The first bud--from a member of the Red Leaf clan. I suppose this makes sense because most of the green leaf ones are either Polyanthas or once-bloomers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here