Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aubreysrose

Crazy KY weather survivors

aubreysrose
11 years ago

It was almost 90 in March, cold and rainy in April, and May is on track to replace August. Go figure. I had more than few blooms get yucky, but those that survived were worth the wait.

Arizona - Almost fast to bloom. She seems to hold off BS pretty well with attention. She goes from melon to pink but blooms last for days.

Broadway - New to me this year. She got out of the gate fast. The color is great and gets better with age.

You can see the beautiful shading on the reverse.

St. Patrick's - Blooms are huge and have tons of petals. Absolutely love the classic form. Blooms last for days and days (at least a week or more). Extremely disease resistant.

Rain soaked beauty

Peace - My favorite rose last year, though she lost out to a bevy of new beauties this year. Still an excellent bloomer with great repeat. Blooms are shorter lived for me than others.

Love how the buds are more tinged pink.

Rock N Roll - Not as great of a rose as I would have liked. I would recommend George Burns because of the wonderful fragrance and RNR's blooms blow in hours it seems.

Queen Elizabeth - I got a sickly plant last year and only got one bloom. With some TLC she's doing better, but blows really fast.

Thar she blows (later that day).

Legends - HUGE blooms. The petals alone are so big they are mind boggling. Terrible disease resistance. Definitely a show stopper though.

Love - Last year she was more hot pink and tiny blooms. I wanted a true red and was disappointed. This year they have gorgeous form and color seems to have deepened. "Love" this rose.

Koko Loco - Fell in love with it online then realized the blooms are tiny. Maybe because it is my first year. It's totally different then everything else I have, so it's growing on me.

Joseph's Coat - Great climber. Has that wow factor when in total bloom.

Still a baby (second year). I haven't really shaped her up. Good disease resistance.

Generous Gardener - One of my few Austins. This bush gets crazy big. Definitely could be trained as a climber. Literally have to beat it back. Tons and tons of blooms all fair weather season for me.

JFK - My ugly white. Is it okay for me to say I hate this rose? I wanted to love it so much and last year was great, but apparently it does not dig the cold. Green, brown and ugly is best terms for the blooms so far.

Mystery Rose - Labelled Double Delight (obviously an oopsie body bag). Still a gorgeous, gorgeous bloom. Deep dark pink with a nice fragrance. I'll post it in the ID forum, but let me know if anyone has seen this rose.

Every day with roses is an adventure and I am loving every second of it.

Comments (12)

• inga007
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Absolutely beautiful blooms. Love your St. Pat.
    Josephs coat is such a lovely orange shade.
    Hopefully your JFK will recover and have lovely blooms.

• lesmc
    11 years ago

I have really enjoyed seeing your roses. They are just beautiful. I agree with you when you say every day is an adventure with roses! One I love, too!!! Thanks for sharing your pretty roses. Lesley

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

Lovely roses! Lucky you to have blooms already! Still waiting here.

I question the identity of your Love though. Mine is true red with a very stark white reverse. Yours seems much pinker and the reverse is too.

I wish you very good luck with JFK. Those blooms are far more open than I was ever able to achieve with mine. Every bloom balled and refused to open for me.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

Ooooh, yes--lots of roses blooming. That Arizona is intriguing, but there are many lovely roses here also.

Kate

• ny_steve
    11 years ago

Great pictures and you gave me a few more roses to ponder for my garden. Liked the Arizona, St. Patricks and Generous Gardener. Thanks for sharing!

• Krista_5NY
    11 years ago

Spectacular blooms and pics!

• TNY78
    11 years ago

I love to see pictures from rose growers who live near me :) Yours are georgeous! You're right our weather has been nuts! For us its been too much rain, and then not enough...then hot, then freezing...I've lost a couple just from the drastic temperature changes!...more poor roses are feeling the stress down here!!!

Tammy

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

Your St. Pat is gorgeous- what a great photo. Yes, your white rose is really ugly and it's ok to say that. Thanks for the news on the Generous Gardener- I have heard other good things about this rose in my area.
    Renee

• tabbiekat
    11 years ago

Beautiful Roses!! Thanks for sharing :)

• aubreysrose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for all the wonderful comments! I love visiting this forum and seeing all the drool worthy blooms. As soon as I can find where in this crazy house I stashed my camera, I can post some better pics than my iPhone takes.

PS Definitely Love rose, just blame my poor camera. The reverse is much more true white than you can see here and it's less pink in person. Though not that blood red I was hoping for.

• zeffyrose
    11 years ago

Your roses are stunning---great photography----

Florence

• jktx55
    11 years ago

Thank you for showing your roses,they are beautiful.
    jk

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz