Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
the_bustopher

Peter Piper picked a peck of purples....

If you happen to like the purple/lavender/mauve groups, here are a few of some of the better ones I have had so far. The first one is Avant Garde, a hybrid tea that has shown decent form for the first time.

The next one is the OGR gallica Cardinal de Richelieu which I think really defines purple as much as any of them.

Next is the HT Chantilly Lace, an attractive and fragrant bicolor.

Next is the HT Charles de Gaulle which has a nice color and fragrance, but for me is slow to repeat.

{{gwi:318604}}

The next one is the hybrid musk Lavender Lassie a day or so before we had two hailstorms on the same day. It is a monster and is iffy as to whether it reblooms or not. It depends on the weather. Just to the right of it is the skyscraping red HT Grand Amore.

Next is one of the nicest blooms on the HT Paradise that I have seen.

Lastly, a couple of blooms on the HT Twice in a Blue Moon. I have two of these plants, and they appear to do well as long as the deer don't eat them, a real problem.

{{gwi:318605}}

I hope you like these. Let me know what you think.

Comments (13)

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

I love them, especially Lavendar Lassie. How did it come through the hail storms? Charles de Gaulle is also exquisite. Too bad about the name, though...
    Renee

• inga007
    11 years ago

All the roses are lovely. I'm partial to lilacs/purples, after oranges. My fave in this post is Charles de Gaulle.

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    Original Author
    11 years ago

With respect to Lavender Lassie and the hailstorms, it was rather trashed along with lots of others. We had a hailstorm in the morning last Sunday, and another one late in the afternoon/evening. The afternoon storm also dropped two weak, nuisance tornadoes on the opposite side of town, but they didn't hit anything. We more or less lucked out on that one.

• lenie
    11 years ago

Lovely!!

• lovemysheltie
    11 years ago

Gorgeous roses! I love Charles de Gaulle and grew it long back but it was own-root and succumbed to our brutal winters :( If I found a grafted one, I'd snap it up in a heartbeat. My Cardinal de Richelieu was planted a year ago and has never bloomed for me but I hope when it does, its flowers are as lovely as yours.

• dolzadell
    11 years ago

WOW !!!

My husband said he had never seen a lavender/purple rose so I showed him your pics.
    Love when I'm right........*giggle*

Julie

• serenasyh
    11 years ago

Love the classical HT form, but most of all the fact that you bravely grow the less-bloomers like HT Charles de Gaulle, Lavender Lassie- they are splendid and worth keeping. HT Chantilly Lace has a gorgeously smooth blend, another of my favorites.

• kathy9norcal
    11 years ago

Wonderful roses and photos. I especially like your first photo. It is perfection in every way. You might want to get hold of a Silver Star. I love it and it blooms alot. I have posted it in the past.

• mantis__oh
    11 years ago

I like the occasional serration on the Charles De Gaulle petals; don't think I'd try it here though. Silver Star, own root, is struggling. Lovemysheltie, why would a grafted rose survive winters better than own root?

• lovemysheltie
    11 years ago

mantis:

Because the ownroots (bands or even 1 gallons) are miniscule when you buy them from the specialty nurseries and the grafted are available in 2.5 gallon or 5 gallon sizes here in Chicago. The extra girth and canes help them sail through my winters. All I do is make sure I plant the bud union really deep and hope they'll eventually go own-root. I've grown ownroot HTs/floribundas in the past and every single one died- the grafted are amazing. Mind you, I am only discussing HTs. My OGRs, Austins, Bucks and Rugosas are all own-root and perfectly fine.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    11 years ago

I am so glad to see lavender lassie as a big shrub! I have two for an arbor and they are only on the second year so still small. I have big dreams for them! You have such lovely roses

• Krista_5NY
    11 years ago

Beautiful pics of lovely roses, thanks for sharing.

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

Perfectly Purple!!!

Sponsored
Suzan Meredith Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Ashburn's Innovative Interior Designers 2x Best of Houzz Winner